Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

Bit Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Bit Question   Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:14 pm

Okay so right now I'm riding Target in a d-ring bit with a p-nut type peice in the middle. he really likes this bit and goes pretty well in it but when I start to do canter work with him he gets really heavy on my hands with this bit and just runs threw it and he's very slow to back up with this bit. I rode him at the MBRA show in a slow twist d-ring and he was alot better super back ups and alot easier to do a half halt and actually have him listen. I don't know if I should just go to a slow twist or if I should try to push him threw the heavyness with my leg and get him out of this habit. Any opinions?
Back to top Go down
RobinsKelticBuckaroo

PostSubject: Re: Bit Question   Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:11 pm

I've had tons of problem with Dawson getting heavy on the forehand and running through the bit. I've used twisted wires, shank with a port, broken snaffle kimberwick etc.. I found when i was riding in a twisted wire that it was good for the first week or two and than he just started doing the same things. The thing that worked best for me was to use those bits only occasionally. I ride in a medium size broken snaffle right now most of the time, but sometimes just for a change ill stick something else in just to give him a different feeling in his mouth, but just for one ride, than ill go back to my regular. I also found the thing that helped me the most was not what kind of bit i was using but i needed to release him more when he was doing what was asked, even if it was just for a stride, i would throw my reins completely away. That helped me the most, timing is everything. I was really happy the other day when i let a girl that boards at the same barn as me take him out for a little run in the back field and she came back and said at first when she asked for him to lope he put his head down to the ground but all she had to was put a tiny bit of pressure on the reins and he came right back up :)
Back to top Go down
Becca

PostSubject: Re: Bit Question   Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:18 am

why not try a loose ring for a bit more play? i'm really snaffle savvy and always go softer the better.. try a copper or sweet iron mouth peice? i would never "bit up" your horse can become more 'dull' or 'resistant' to it and you just created a bigger problem for yourself (which suckkss). but again that's just me an my opinion :)

what suppling excersises do you do at the canter? i agree 100% with RKB with timing of releases, and making them suuuupperrr over dramatic (even though you might feel a bit foolish) one horse i was working with last year was sooo heavy on the forhands, minute he gave the lightest to pressure dropped my reins completely and he almost fell on his face he was so drained out and focused on leaning. after he remembered to pick up his feet and figured out how to stop the pressure for the huge release he was fabulous :) prince's transitions used to be horrendious when i first started working with him, and again over dramatic of the release of pressure makes a world of good.. kind of 'ooohhhh, theres the lightbulb' moment.
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: Bit Question   Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:26 am

Thanks guys. I used to ride him in a sweet iron loosering but he really wouldn't give to it at all he seems to go better in the d-ring thats why i swiched in the first place. He's actaully for the most part becoming a very light horse it's just when i ask him to canter he's been having a weird time with canter transitions in general lately. first he wouldn't canter at all and I thought his feet were hurting him cause the footing in our arena is like cement sometimes but then I got him over that and now he wants to haul on the bit and run into his transition which he never used to do. I guess the actual canter it self is not the problem it's the up and down transition between it. he is very smart and really starts to anticipate what i'm asking him to do. I don't ask him to canter until he is soft and in a nice frame and speed however as soon as i ask him to canter he starts to race grabs the bit and runs threw it into the transition then goes back to being light again. I'm hoping that some of this will be solved once the new arena is done cause he was alot better at other peoples places/arenas maybe the footing is part of the issue. Also the arena is pretty small for him the new ones like double the size yay.
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod

PostSubject: Re: Bit Question   Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:12 am

NbyN .. you need to come to a clinic with us in Greenwood.. Bowie sure can help you with that problem.. he's amazing.. next clinic should be in early Sept.. we had a great time there this past weekend.. and learned a lot..!!

PostSubject: Re: Bit Question   Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:21 am

What are your cues for the canter? I find with Dawson if i kiss really loud he seems to rush his transition and just jump into it, but if i but my leg back and kind of make like a half kiss sound very softly, he goes nicely into it.

I agree with Wissy about Bowie clinics, hes really good at this stuff.
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: Bit Question   Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:27 pm

the problem is that this is an at home issue he's much better in other arenas i think it's a cause he's lazy at home and b the ground is hard and the arena is small for him so it's harder for him to canter.

RKB I used to make a kissing sound but stopped cause I don't find that it matters if I do it or not. I make sure his bending soft and in a frame then I put my leg back and on to ask him to canter I only ask him in the corners as of late because I've been having so many issues with him cantering. I think that half the issue is he finds it hard to properly go into the transistion and he's getting Pissy about it. if I didn't ask him when he's in a frame he would be find it's just that I'm asking him while in a frame that he seems to first not canter then he rushes into it. he's a smart horse so I know he knows what I'm asking I'm just trying to figure out why he doesn't want to and if there is anything I can do to help him with this issue. Like I said I rode him in a slow twist for the show and he went really well and actualy now that i think about it was alot better after the show at home for a couple rides then back to hauling on my hands and rushing threw the transistion maybe i just need to up the bit every couple of weeks to keep things different for him.

I'm also going to start riding him at the beach hopefully that will help his tranistions.
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: Bit Question   Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:28 pm

oh and wissy how much are the clinics? I don't have a trailer so probably won't be able to go but you never know
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bit Question   

Back to top Go down

Bit Question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1