Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Birth Mark????

Go down 
+5
Twilight
Wissy
RedBaronBPeppy
~TC~
D-Cutch
9 posters
AuthorMessage
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

Birth Mark???? Empty
PostSubject: Birth Mark????   Birth Mark???? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 9:56 pm

Friend of mine forwarded me this picture of a neighbour's colt - they told her it's a birth mark... sure doesn't strike me as a birth mark...

Neither Glenn nor I have saw anything like this before... my first instinct said HERDA but I don't know if either parents are carriers so that is likely a very inaccurate guess...

It sure perplexes me.... ever see anything like this? any thoughts?

Birth Mark???? Hera
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
~TC~

Birth Mark???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth Mark????   Birth Mark???? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 10:00 pm

Looks like hair growth over scar tissue ...but I suppose the skin would be kinda rough if so? maybe?
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

Birth Mark???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth Mark????   Birth Mark???? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 10:08 pm

I wish the picture was closer... from my experience hair on scars often comes in white or white and coat color...which could be the case here...

I wonder if it is a scar what kind of trauma/episode in the womb would cause this type of mark...

I'm also very curious if she is sensitive there and I'm assumine the skin must feel different there and if it does would it be more likely to irritate with a saddle pad over it...
Back to top Go down
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

Birth Mark???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth Mark????   Birth Mark???? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 10:44 pm

wow this is a very strange marking D!... i would definately vote scar tissue...
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

Birth Mark???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth Mark????   Birth Mark???? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 10:45 pm

ummm wonder if his name is Patches.. lol... oh my .. but it looks like a patch.. ??? huh.. never seen anything like it!.
Back to top Go down
Twilight

Birth Mark???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth Mark????   Birth Mark???? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 10:50 pm

Jeepers, that IS odd. Looks like someone accidentally splashed bleach on him, lol. I like it.

I'd love to know more....
Back to top Go down
Freva

Freva

Birth Mark???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth Mark????   Birth Mark???? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:35 pm

I wonder if the filly was born with the mark or did it come after she shed her baby coat. It really is odd looking. It looks like a scar to me due to the fact that there seem to be dark areas showing towards the edges of the patch. I hope it doesn't bother her since it is in the saddle area.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/fvpstables
mypony

Birth Mark???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth Mark????   Birth Mark???? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:58 pm

I guess the big question is, was the horse born with this mark or did it developed later in life? How long has this person owned the horse?

If we as humans are born with a birth mark, why could a horse not have one?
Back to top Go down

Birth Mark???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth Mark????   Birth Mark???? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 3:26 am

I know someone who had many foals out of the same mare and they ALL had a big white mark on their backs that looks VERY similar to this and it was a birth mark of some sort, I think three or more of her foals had it.. And al in the same spot up closer to the whither than this one though..

Strange!
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

Birth Mark???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth Mark????   Birth Mark???? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 8:13 am

I was told that she was born with the mark...
Back to top Go down
FIREBUG

Birth Mark???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth Mark????   Birth Mark???? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 8:41 am

Probably not HERDA then. Usually foals are not born with the mark and don't develop it until around 2yrs old. Sounds
like it is a mark that the mare is producing. I wonder if you try to register, if the quarter horse people question it at
all. Very interesting and unique.
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

Birth Mark???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth Mark????   Birth Mark???? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 9:01 am

I've read about HERDA a fair bit but I didn't know signs don't usually appear until they're two... I thought they just "worsen" when they start being worked... interesting...
Back to top Go down
will

Birth Mark???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth Mark????   Birth Mark???? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 10:14 pm

Hi D,
I don't know if you remember our Lisa mare - she had a round mark on the lower part of her barrel just like this one. Bay mare, Standardbred dam, Belgian sire, no other odd marks. It was not present in her foal coat but showed up when she shed out. Didn't ever seem to bother her, she wasn't sensitive there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Birth Mark???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Birth Mark????   Birth Mark???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Birth Mark????
Page 1 of 1