Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mares cycling...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

Mares cycling... Empty
PostSubject: Mares cycling...   Mares cycling... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 8:17 pm

Just curious how many folks have saw their mares through one full cycle at this point in the year and feel confident they are no longer transitional?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
Twilight

Mares cycling... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mares cycling...   Mares cycling... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 9:03 pm

I'm thinking at least two of mine are good to go, lol.
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

Mares cycling... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mares cycling...   Mares cycling... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 10:33 pm

I"ve had 2 under lights for the last month, Faline was bred today :D The lights should have transitioned her early enough that this should do it 8)
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

Mares cycling... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mares cycling...   Mares cycling... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 7:18 am

We saw 2 of our mares standing in late Feb/early March and had them checked this week and they are both still transitional :evil:

Guess it will be lights for us next year as well...
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

Mares cycling... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mares cycling...   Mares cycling... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 1:27 pm

What is transitional? Can someone explain?

LB, who did you breed Faline to?
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

Mares cycling... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mares cycling...   Mares cycling... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 7:36 pm

Barefoot_Horsegirl wrote:
What is transitional? Can someone explain?

LB, who did you breed Faline to?

copied and pasted this as it explains it better than I could type it out :)
The period between the anestrus season and the breeding season is the transition period. During this period, the sexual behavior of the mare tends to be erratic. The mare will come into heat, and the ovaries will develop many small follicles. The mare may remain in heat for several weeks. Oftentimes the developing follicles regress and the mare does not ovulate. It does no good to breed the transitional mare unless she happens to develop a follicle that will ovulate. This can only be determined by palpation or ultrasonic evaluation of the mare's ovaries. The transitional mare in heat will stand to be bred, but unless she has a follicle develop to ovulate, you are wasting time and exposing the mare to a greater chance of infection and injury by breeding during the transitional period. As mentioned, the mare can be monitored during this period by palpation and/or ultrasound, but usually it is best to let the mare go out of heat or take her out of heat by giving her a synthetic progesterone for 14 to 15 days. This will usually shorten the time period to ovulation as compared to letting her go out of heat naturally. The cost of synthetic progesterone is $4.00 to $5.00 per day. The imposition of January 1 birth dates for most breeds of horses has caused us to breed the mare during a less than optimum time for fertility. An open or maiden mare that has not been on lights beginning in late November will often go through a transition period during February and March. Consequently, the first heat period in February may be long and characterized by no ovulation. No ovulation means no conception, which means no January and possibly no February foal next year.

Answer to quetion number 2, here is who Faline was bred to :D
Mares cycling... Th_bandit026a
Docs Poco Bandit
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

Mares cycling... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mares cycling...   Mares cycling... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 10:27 am

So I guess horses aren't like cows. Cool.

Nice LB, you must be excited!
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

Mares cycling... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mares cycling...   Mares cycling... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 7:19 am

I really think the "January 1st" birth date for all horses should been examened a little closer before chosing that date...

I've always been told optimal breeding time for horses is late June/July/August which means they should have went more with like a May 1st birthdate... then we wouldn't have to go through all this foolishness!!!

I'm just a little bitter about the ultrasound bill :P
Back to top Go down
Ride em

Mares cycling... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mares cycling...   Mares cycling... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 8:42 am

I've seen Lucky in heat twice this year but it's likely transitional because it's not consistent. Otie is due to foal April 17th and that was the earliest we could breed her. She had come in before that but I knew it was transitional because she wasn't acting how she normally does when in heat. She's always the latest of our mares to come in heat. Figures, I wanted an early baby with her this year so I could get riding her earlier, but no such luck, she didn't come into heat until May.

I always thought April/May was the strongest heats to breed on.

Lb, I was always told in order for them to come in to heat early, you have to put them under lights starting in November/December, that it's too late and does no good to do it after the new year?? That's just what I heard, I've never done it because we've never wanted one born earlier than March.
Back to top Go down
http://highmeadowqhs.tripod.com
Sponsored content

Mares cycling... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mares cycling...   Mares cycling... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mares cycling...
Page 1 of 1