Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.

Go down 
+5
Sooke
Ride em
Wissy
D-Cutch
just joan
9 posters
AuthorMessage
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Empty
PostSubject: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 7:36 am

I had my favourite engineer trucking guy out yesterday to take a look at where I wanted to put my dream arena with drainage and a 20foot walkway with gravel along the top end ........I was hoping for 120 x 200 scraped, graded, with drainage, then 4=6 inches of a mixed sand and gravel on top........hahahahahhaa...well thats the dream.......and then of course fence it in......but that has nothing to do with this guy.

The spot I want it is fine, would take a day to do all the clearing etc........but,,,,,,,it's the 40-60 dump truck loads of stuff thats the killer...........I never imagined that it would take that much........ he went home to make me up a proposal........but in the meantime..........Hubby says..........well why dont you just have him lay out the mixture where your pattern is going to be plus whatever you need for safety stopping and starting..............what do you guys think?????
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 8:06 am

It is pretty wild the amount of fill it takes to do an arena...

Our outside pad that is 100x200 I think it took somewhere around 100 loads - our land is really low so they had to build it up over 2 feet in some spots to make it drain properly...

I would be concerned if the "pattern" part is built up at all from the ground around it that if you went off pattern, the risk of twisting something.... but if he has the equipment to graduate the top soil away from your pattern....

My suggestion would be to just go smaller - keep the ring idea because if you run the pattern all the time I think your horse might go nuts... 60x80? From our experience as long as you have a width of 60 feet all the way around you can do just about anything... any smaller and some colts (likely not Buck because he is aged) have trouble making a circle at a lope.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 8:11 am

never occured to me we might fall off the pattern.......hhmmmmmm thanks D
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 8:19 am

Joan I was thinking the same as D.. what if you go off pattern.. and you will sometimes I'm sure.. I really can't see why that much fill.. your on a bit of a hill now.. must be some drainage there already.. what about french drains around the arena
Back to top Go down
Ride em

PostSubject: Re: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 9:10 am

Our ring is 100 x 200 and it 'only' took 32 truckloads of sand. It's an average of 3 - 4 inches deep. That's plenty deep IMO.

But I agree with the others, just go smaller. Like D said, you don't want to 'run' the pattern all the time. You only need a small pattern for slow work.
Back to top Go down
http://highmeadowqhs.tripod.com
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 10:22 am

Just for clarification the approximately 100 loads we put in weren't sand...they were shale - we put a shale pad and then sand on top - I think we only had maybe 10 tandem loads of sand....

The land here is really marshy so we couldn't just put down sand or it would have been forever wet - even with all the rain and snow we had in the ring over half of it is completely dried out now - Glenn was riding in it last night :D :D

You're very lucky Ride'em to only have to put down sand :)
Back to top Go down
Ride em

PostSubject: Re: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 10:26 am

D-Cutch wrote:
Just for clarification the approximately 100 loads we put in weren't sand...they were shale - we put a shale pad and then sand on top - I think we only had maybe 10 tandem loads of sand....

The land here is really marshy so we couldn't just put down sand or it would have been forever wet - even with all the rain and snow we had in the ring over half of it is completely dried out now - Glenn was riding in it last night :D :D

You're very lucky Ride'em to only have to put down sand :)

I was thinking that was a lot of sand!! :shock:

Our ring was almost dry enough to ride in but not after today with all this rain we're getting. :x
Back to top Go down
http://highmeadowqhs.tripod.com
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 10:31 am

I only have sand in my round pen............but it is so sloppy and greasy and it runs away in rivers even with a board all the way around at the bottom that I figured I better get a nice mixture that I wont have to replace all the time..........I just sent him an adjustment........120x120 with 3-4inches and see how much of a difference that makes...I really dont want to go too small as I would love to have some FUN TYPE SHOWS going on here for a couple of weekends a year...........after haying, so we can use the big field too for a xcountry type course.
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 10:32 am

A show and some of lightning's cake.... great idea :D
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 10:35 am

oh yes, lots and lots of cake and squares and bbq ribs and chicken and cheese and good liquor.......woooooooo hoooooooo :flower: :queen:
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 10:36 am

LOL well I was going to come for just the dessert but if we're having all that I'll pencil you in right now :D :D
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 10:39 am

sharpen it on up...........C4B (who is still in england) and I were hoping to have it planned for around the end of september once everyones real show schedule was done.......and this one would just be for fun and comraderie and to meet each other........we have enough room for lots of trailers and tents and we have the bunkhouse, by then we should have some little paddocks etc so it would work!!!!! and we could go to the ocean for those that have never been on a sand beach.............lots of trails just for a laugh and then in the ring do things you dont normally do......... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Back to top Go down
Sooke

Sooke

PostSubject: re: MY NEW ARENA   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 11:26 am

even our last round pen (60') took 13 gravel and 11 sand, and you know what a gravel pit we were already in! Yell and we'll be there... :flower:
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 12:13 pm

I WANNA MOVE IN WITH JOAN ..... Sounds like things are going to be alot of fun around there this fall.

I don't even know how many truck loads of fill we had brought in. Our land is basically on a bog so we had to do a fair amount of changing of the landscape to be able to build anything - including the ring. I definitely wouldn't just do the pattern area because it would really limit you on what you can do. And at the rate you're going I figure Spruce Meadows will soon be on your list!

I'd just reduce the size of the ring and in the back of my mind plan it so that in the future you can always add on to it if you wish.
Back to top Go down
Lightning
Mod
Lightning

PostSubject: Re: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 12:19 pm

Oh that sounds like fun JJ!!
Back to top Go down
Deborah

PostSubject: Re: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 12:58 pm

I don't know if you would require the same footing as I do since I jump JJ but my ring is septic sand and it cost me $13,000 for a 100 x 200 ring for the footing. My ring is at the highest point of the property so all the rain runs down from it and it is almost always dry. I do lose some sand from rain and had to add small rock to one spot that blows out in heavy rain but it is one of the dryest rings I have ever ridden in.
I hate hard rings and do not like crusher dust under me but that is my 2 cents only!
Back to top Go down
StraitView G

StraitView G

Location : Strait View Stables - Lismore (between Antigonish/New Glasgow)

PostSubject: Re: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 7:51 pm

We used septic sand for our roundpen (75') too - 6 or 7 loads I think - it's wonderful footing but was VERY expensive! If I ever get my outdoor we'll have to find something a little cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.   MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MY NEW ARENA........is #5 on my bucketlist.
Page 1 of 1