Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Service to your Barn

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

Service to your Barn Empty
PostSubject: Service to your Barn   Service to your Barn Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 11:27 am

We have 200amp service running to our house because we have electrical heat...

I am in the process of trying to decide if we need to run a separate service to the barn or can feed off the house - if I overload the house system it's going to make our bill even crazier...but a separate service means acharge of about $30 a month plus the kilowatts used...

So my questions are....

Do you have separate services for your house/barn? If you do have a separate service what was your deciding factor (size of building/type of lights/electric heaters,...??)

How much service does your barn require and what kind of lights do you run (regular bulbs/florescent,..)?

Any other info or useful facts that have been picked up along the way would be great :D

I have spoken to an electrician but the advice they give me conflicts with the advice that Maritime Electric gives me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: Service to your Barn   Service to your Barn Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 11:37 am

I don't have seperate service to mine. It is on 2 breakers in the house though and one isn't marked which I found out from the home inspection is a no no. If someone has to do electrical work in the barn I have to remember to shut off both or they could get a suprise :affraid:. My barn only has 10 incandecent light, 1 high pressure sodium (street lamp) and several recepticles. I plug in a radio, fencer, heated water tub and heat tape for the pipes. When I use the hair drier on the tap the lights dim. If I were running a hot water tank or heated tack room then I would definately want a seperate service.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Service to your Barn   Service to your Barn Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 2:02 pm

I dont have seperate service, but the barn does have its own fuse box. I have 10 bulbs down the alley way(all those ecology things) and 4 spot lights into stalls, then in the bunkhouse 3sets of 4tubed flourescent lights?? then I have the fridege, kettle, all the stereo and dvd players, computer microwave..........100gallon heated water tank, then upstairs 4 sets of 8ft long flourescent lights......there are also 4 outdoor spot lights and a heater wrapped around the water............all this workds off 100amp, I only cant have the kettle and the toaster oven on at the same time as everything else, then it blows a fuse.
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
LittleRoam

LittleRoam

PostSubject: electrical service to barn--this could save your horse's lives!   Service to your Barn Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 7:25 pm

RE: ELECTRICITY TO YOUR BARN....

This is probably the safest thing to do regarding electricity in your barn:

Have it set up so you can completely shut off the power running to your barn from within your house. I had the electrician put a switch right inside the door of my house--this switch turns on the power to the barn--I flick it on, go to the barn, and then when i return to the house I turn the switch off--this way there is absolutely NO POWER running to your barn. I got this idea when I boarded at an older stable and the owner felt more comfortable with this set up. My little barn was just built a few years ago but I have mine set up the same way. This way if your horses are left in on a bad weather day, or in the evenings, you can shut that power down completely!

In the winter instead of the heated water buckets in the stalls--take out warm water from the house--it's a small price to pay.

: )
Back to top Go down
StraitView G

StraitView G

Location : Strait View Stables - Lismore (between Antigonish/New Glasgow)

PostSubject: Re: Service to your Barn   Service to your Barn Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 7:35 pm

We've debated back and forth about power in the barn too.....right now we just have a run in without any power. We have an outdoor water hydrant which runs from the house (the pump is in the well). IF we decide to build the 'real' barn this year I am certainly going to want power - lights, plug ins, and maybe a couple electric baseboards in the tackroom. I do worry about barn fires though - I know if it's wired properly the chances are slim to none - but I still worry. Your setup interests me Little Roam.....when the switch is turned off there is NO power to the barn? so no chances of electrical fires??
Back to top Go down
LittleRoam

LittleRoam

PostSubject: Re: Service to your Barn   Service to your Barn Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi StraitView G,

Yes, that's right, when the switch/power is turned off at the house there is no power running through the barn's electrical wires. Even though my barn was new I still did this. I had rats galore a few years ago despite keeping it "clean" so who knows what can happen.

It's kinda nice too because you can leave the lights on in the barn when you're done, go to house and shut off the switch. THEN, on your next trip to the barn, when you flick the switch on at the house, the lights are already on in the barn for you so you're not walking to a dark barn and trying to find the light switch inside the dark barn.

I also had a farmer tell me that cobwebs around light bulbs can cause barn fires...so keep them cleared away!

Hope that helps!

Little Roam 🐘
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: Service to your Barn   Service to your Barn Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 8:32 pm

Quote :
I also had a farmer tell me that cobwebs around light bulbs can cause barn fires...so keep them cleared away!

I've been known to vacuum my barn :oops:
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Service to your Barn   Service to your Barn Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 8:36 pm

I dont worry about cobwebs......I vacuum the barn.......but I do have a switch to turn off the power downstairs in the basement........I should maybe Ed move it up to the back hall.......its a good idea.LittleRoam....and I like how your mum came up with your name!!!!!!! :flower:
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Service to your Barn   Service to your Barn Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Service to your Barn
Page 1 of 1