Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

Buying a trailer in the USA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mypony

PostSubject: Buying a trailer in the USA   Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:12 pm

How many people on here have bought a horse trailer from the US? If you have, where did you find it? We have been looking at a few trailers online and the prices are really good. Just looking for what others have experienced.
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: Buying a trailer in the USA   Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:32 pm

Your paperwork for the trailer, I believe, has to be at the border for a certain amount of time so make sure you get it sent there in advance (Tim would likely know that from his line of work anyway).

In terms of buys.... Glenn and I looked all over last fall for a trailer we thought was a good buy and not made on an assembly line and we ended up finding it in Canada for less. In general, trailers are a lot more expensive here but you have to remember some of the big name trailers are made so quickly now they really aren't built to last.

Also, keep in mind if you shop in Maine, for example, they have the same kind of winters we do so most of their equipment has seen salt so you're better of going a little further south and getting a good buy and no weather wear on your trailer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
just joan
Mod

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Buying a trailer in the USA   Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:32 am

if you watched any of the Minnesota trip you would have seen we had no troubles at the border whatsoever........we picked up the trailer at a dealers.....it was a used one, but he had all the necessary docs.......we went to windsor to the customs......we took in the papers.....and there is a new thing with Canadian Tire...........its a package they do for the government......you pay the fed taxes at the border, you go to canadian tire to get the inspection, they fill out the rest and you take it in for plates once they pass it..............but at the border it was simple and the guard types in the info to Canadian Tire and you pay the 235dollars I think for this particular service.......he stamps everything and you are gone...........no biggy......real simple.......ownership, transferpapers, temporarry moving papers not hard at all...........happy hunting.

PostSubject: buying in the US   Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:20 am

Like JJ said..the only thing I have to add is that you have to contact the manufacturer to make sure there isn't any recalls on the trailer. I had to get a fax from them saying that there was no recalls. Which I had to show at the border. I bought my 2 years ago this April and had to problems at the border..Had to take the trailer to Canadian Tire for a government inspection which cost 100...Pay the 6% tax at the border and the rest at the motor vechiles.

I found my trailer on horsetrailerworld.com

Good luck

Salsasue
Back to top Go down
mypony

PostSubject: Re: Buying a trailer in the USA   Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks for the info, but I don't think I will have too many issues at the boarder, my hubby is a customs officer.

What I am looking for is where to find a trailer? What websites have people used? I have been looking at horsetrailerworld.

Once again Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Buying a trailer in the USA   Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:43 pm

http://tacktrader.com/
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: Buying a trailer in the USA   Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:15 pm

there is a group on facebook called barrel tack swap or something like that there are some really nice and pretty cheap trailers on there if you want a link to the group let me know
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying a trailer in the USA   

Back to top Go down

Buying a trailer in the USA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1