Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

Fainting horse

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Fainting horse   Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Just wondering if anyone has seen a horse faint? if so what where the symptoms? how did they act after it happend?
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod

PostSubject: Re: Fainting horse   Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:04 am

Can't say I have.. why do you ask? Targets ok.. right?

PostSubject: Re: Fainting horse   Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:20 am

Google epilepsy or cataplexy called narcolepsy. It is not uncommon in horses that are over excited or stressed.

Didn't you just move him to a new barn??? Maybe something there making him very uneasy and stressed.. may take him time to acclimatize. If you can spend a day with him, just watching how interaction is going with herd mates or stall mates. He may not feel comfortable enough yet, to have a full out sleep.
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: Fainting horse   Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:27 am

Yeah I went out and road Target sunday he was really good seemed to be acting fine i walked him out in the arena then took him to the bottom of his paddock to let him loose and eat some grass that is there I watched him for about 10 minutes then left. The barn owner called later that night and said that her bf and little girl where over patting his nose at supper time he was fine they went to walk away but looked back and he said that Targets eyes rolled back in his head Target reared up and fainted mid air and fell threw the fence. Target jumped up as soon as he hit the ground and started running around the property.

We called the vet and we have no idea what happend or what would have caused that. MS both epilepsy and cataplexy have similar symptoms but the after effects are a very tired and groggy horse which he was not since it took them 10 minutes to catch him while he tore around the property.

I was just wondering if anyone else had heard of anything like this as even the vet was baffled as to what would have happend.
I've heard of horses rearing up and then collapsing but usually that is due to a heart attack or air embilisum(sp) and the horse ends up being killed by it.

His heart is fine eveything checks out fine with him so it was really weird.

I'm hoping that maybe the bf was wrong that maybe Target got zapped by the fence reared up and slipped and fell threw the fence but there really isn't anyway to know.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Fainting horse   Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:41 am

Oh my! You must be worried sick. I'm thinking you may be right about the electric fence though - especially if they had been petting him. He may have just got a little too close to the fence and zapped himself. Let's hope that's all it was. Keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
C4B's

PostSubject: Re: Fainting horse   Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:10 pm

How is he now?? hope he is back to his normal self, was he hurt when he fell through the fence ?? it is so hard when you are not there to see exactly what happens !!!!! but you must be so worried about him!!!
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: Fainting horse   Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:28 pm

this happend on sunday night but i checked on him monday and he seems fine nothing has happend since.
Back to top Go down
Sailorgirl

PostSubject: Re: Fainting horse   Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:15 pm

That really sounds like he touched the electric on the fence. They can really react in an extreme way if they are the "sensitive" kind. Him running around like that and taking you while to catch him does not sound like a sick or disoriented horse...just got a bad zap! Poor boy..I hope that's all it was!
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: Fainting horse   Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:39 pm

yeah me too
friggin horse is always accident prone
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fainting horse   

Back to top Go down

Fainting horse
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1