Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TAIL DOCKING UGH

Go down 
+8
D-Cutch
jake
Wranglin'ruff
Tammy
mountaincowgirl
Wissy
lb-ranch
DesignedByDiesel
12 posters
AuthorMessage
DesignedByDiesel

DesignedByDiesel

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 1:32 pm

So working at a vet clinic, i became one of the first people to find out Nova Scotia is banning tail docking along with New Brunswick. Just wondering what everyones opinion is on it?

I have a 'friend' who I will not mention that has draft ponies (most locals will know who i'm talking about sigh). They have a 3 or 4 year old filly that has rarely been handled other than me going and petting her neck from outside the stall and going in and brushing her (i could only manage one side because she's not used to being handled). She has NOT had her tail docked yet but her owner wants to still get it done. Do they dock equine tails after a certain age? I mentioned yesterday to these ppl about the banning docking only to get the reply "Oh so I'll have to do it myself? All I have to do is go down to your work and get a shot".. Meaning get the sedative WHICH he will not be able to get at ANY vet clinic around here without the vet administering it.. PLUS it's illegal to give those kind of drugs over the counter.

This is coming from a 80 year old man who lives in the old days and none in the present I guess... But things are different now. He says it doesn't look right if they aren't docked... Would it make sense to leave it be and she would be worth more if time would come to sell her.

I feel awful and I don't want things to end bad for this poor little mare that i've grown to love. If I had the space and money i would put an offer in on her. She is a gorgous little thing. Think of all the things i could do with a pony lol....
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 1:51 pm

I cant see the point once the filly is that old, I have a gelding here that someone docked at one time eons ago, fortunately they left it fairly long so he does have a tail but that makes me wonder why bother at all if it was going to be left that long. Horses need the tail for the bugs we get so bad up here, Done by a vet or someone who really knows what they're doing with proper anesthetic wouldnt bother me so much but not on one like you described, first she'd need to be handlable so that the docked tail end can be properly medicated, half wild is not the time to think of cosmetics.
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 3:01 pm

well maybe she'll kick him in the head when he tries.. TAIL DOCKING UGH 474306
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 3:02 pm

kick in the head won't knock sense into someone that old.. so maybe she outta aim for his nuggets.. lol
Back to top Go down
mountaincowgirl

mountaincowgirl

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 3:13 pm

I'm not one hundred percent on this so speak up if I'm wrong please but it's not illegal to perform "cosmetic" procedures. It is however illegal for a board certified vet to perform such procedures anymore. Breeders can still dock tails, perform dewclaw removal, shave ears (dogs) etc.

I'm with you however, at that age I doubt that it would be beneficial or right to tail dock. I like the stream lined look of a docked tail in the show ring on a draft but I hate seeing them fight flies in a pasture somewhere. We have three drafts and they all have docked tails. Two mares very short, one mare with a quarter dock but they have run in for when the flies get really hot. All three were done very young and by the breeder. It was not our choice.

It's really sad actually because usually the resale for a pony nowadays is in the show ring. Draft pony use is pretty much a thing of the past so keeping the tail long would be a benefit.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:22 pm

It was my understanding that tails originally were docked so that they didn't get caught up in the farm machinery. THAT I can understand. But if it isn't for safety reasons I don't think there is any need of docking. I'd hate to have to battle the flies without a nice long tail!
Back to top Go down
Wranglin'ruff

Wranglin'ruff

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 9:40 am

Do you know if the law went through already? I also work in a vet clinic, in Alberta, and we have alot of literature sent to us about NS/PEI/NB wanting to end tail docking/ear cropping but nothing staes for sure.

It is all legal here, however our clinic opts not to do any ear cropping. Breeders will have an 8 hour drive ahead of them if they wish to crop ears.

I wonder what this will do for CKC standards?
Back to top Go down
DesignedByDiesel

DesignedByDiesel

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 12:00 pm

In NS the NSVMA passed the law that vets are not to perform cosmetic surgery but it doesn't say it's completely illegal for it to be performed by breeders. I had to post a letter from the Nova Scortia Vet Medical Associationm on my counter regarding that is will be illegal as of April 1st.

I don't know if the CKC will eventually consider it illegal as well but I guess someday it probably will be.

Agreed Wissy that he needs a kick in the nuggets. Sigh
Back to top Go down
jake

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Anyone who is breeding draft colts for show usually dock tail when they are only a few days old. At this time it is like a tendon not bone. Draft colts are also being gelded now as young as possible as it does not effect their growth at all and much easier on the animal.

There are many people today who dock their own horses using a rubber band similer to what is put on young calves to turn them into steers. Over the course of a couple of weeks the tail just falls off.

I do like to have them done by a vet but if this practice stops then they will be done by other means.
Back to top Go down
DesignedByDiesel

DesignedByDiesel

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 8:48 pm

I don't mind the whole doing it when they are colts but a 3 or 4 year old?!?! come on now
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 11:08 am

I don't know much about the laws with horses because all of the boys draft horses just have their tail hair trimmed but the tail bone is still in tact....

I do know that docking/declaws/ear cropping for dogs has been banned on PEI and I think they're foolish morons. Yes, I do feel VERY strongly about this.

I've watched a Heeler in Texas get picked up by a stock cow who was raging mad and that is just cruel point blank. Puppies tails are docked usually within 24 hours of birth and they have VERY little if any nerve endings in their tails at that point and they "might" whine for about 10 seconds.

This banning of these practices is encouraging backyard docking and cropping which is more dangerous if the person completeing the procedure doesn't know what they're doing.

With ALL working dogs it is safer for them to be without tail and declaws there are no "ifs" and "buts" about that in my mind.

As far as I understand.... CKC is against the cropping/banning legislations BUT they are abidding by it because it has been made law in some provinces. With that said if one of their members is caught performing one of those acts they will be fined.

CKC's BIG issue with these laws is that a dog who has historically NOT had a tail has a certain type of movement and a certain angle to their topline...when you add a tail to the picture it changes bred standards - some dogs have tails that stick straight up, others are to be an extension of their topline, others are to fall between ther legs, etc. and CKC has certain guidelines about how these historically docked dogs should move and adding a tail change ALL of that.... How can you judge a docked dog vs a non-docked dog....

As for horses I tend to think they are MUCH like dogs and done at a young age it has little impact. We often ran into issues with sheep whose tails were not docked - what a pain in the butt when lambing but we would NEVER dock a tail on a mature ewe... their tail has far too many nerves and veins AND if you use a band it takes too long for the tail to fall off and a ewe will generally go off her feed and tetanus and other bacteria become a huge issue with banding at that age.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
DesignedByDiesel

DesignedByDiesel

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 9:49 am

Puppies usually come in at 2 or 3 days old for tail dockings around here. It's inexpensive when you think about it. I'm not completely against it. Only when it involves a full grown animal which will suffer in the long run. It's completely different when they are babies. :(
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 10:18 am

Okay, D, I'm seeing your point about the working dogs and even the reasoning behind the show dogs. I can accept docking if done at a few days old and by a vet. I think dew claws should come off all dogs. They are just nasty when they get accidentally ripped off. I helped do some rottie's tails when I worked at a clinic years ago. Your right, it wasn't that bad. Hardly any blood, 1 or 2 stiches and the pups forgot all about it as soon as they were back with mom.

I just cannot accept docking of horses tails though for the simple reason of them losing an important defense against flies. Even the ones that still work in the woods and on farms with chains and machinery. The tail can be wrapped up so it doesn't get caught in anything.
Back to top Go down
~TC~

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 12:41 pm

I remember doing puppy tails when I worked at the vets...They want them done at just a couple days old.

And anything older, especially full grown, was considered an AMPUTATION, not a docking and even if it was for medical reasons, they did not like removing a full grown tail if they could help it, due to the pain and stress on the animal.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 8:06 pm

It is also illegal in NB. What irks me a little is the new law does not include cat declawing! I follow the Maritime Show Dog List and breeders of docked/cropped breeds have been outraged. These laws have already passed in a lot of European countries so its no surprise Canada has jumped on board and I agree with it.

I have 3 terriers. My female is docked JRT, my registered Parson has a natural tail that is naturally short, somewhat mid length, and I have an undocked JRT/Parson cross with a long tail. They all move the same in my opinion. I have no desire to cause that type of unnecessary pain to a puppy, and I think they do remember. My docked dog is sensitive about her tail. I have 5 very athletic dogs who we regularly hike with and I've never had a dew claw injury. Am I just lucky? My dogs use their dew claws for climbing and chewing bones. I think they were given them for a reason. My Parson came from a lady who has raised Parson's her whole life. As a little girl her mother raised them in England. Her dogs win in the show ring. She is starting to keep her puppies with natural tails and dew claws. In time, change can be a good thing. It will take some getting used to though.

As for horses being docked, I hate it. I like tails! Nothing beats a thick beautiful draft tail and to cut it off is just butchery. We usually braid our Canadians when we use them in harness, it only takes a few minutes.
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 8:26 pm

docking a horses tail at that old just seems wrong. I didn't even know that draft horses tails where docked until this point lol

I have a rottie who had his tail docked by his breeder as a puppy they put an elastic around it and it came off no pain to the puppy, Personally my dog is not a show dog nor a working dog so I wouldn't have got his tail docked if he didn't come like that. I don't mind the tail docking but the ear shaving seems really painful same with cat declawing if it's not needed for medical reasons or to keep the dog/cat healthly and out of harms way i don't see the need for it.
Back to top Go down
DesignedByDiesel

DesignedByDiesel

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 10:38 pm

It certainly is butchery in my opinion.. ESPECIALLY on a 3 year old filly... And just for looks? come on now...

HOLY CUSS! I'm outraged. Although this man has been all talk and is 80 years old I don't really know if he will ever end up doing it since for one he is old as the hills and can't even make it out to the barn and another reason I haven't told my boyfriend yet but if it happens then I will simply say I will not be going over there anytime soon...

usually horses tails are docked at a very young age, kind of like elactics castrating bull calves or sheeps tails/castrating at a very young age. People are known to use elastics on their tails but usually get vets in to do it the correct way. So this man tells me he can get someone in to dock the tail but it will be a 'little' more painful for the pony. WTF???? Why would you do that to a innocent creature? Make her first real time being handled by a person a traumatic experience??? Times have changed old guy.

ANOTHER thing is that none of these horses have any vaccines to help protect against tetanus atleast. So chop this 3 year olds tail off and kill it because it got lock jaw? I can see this all going wrong and some how and some way it will get some sort of blame on me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TAIL DOCKING UGH Empty
PostSubject: Re: TAIL DOCKING UGH   TAIL DOCKING UGH Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TAIL DOCKING UGH
Page 1 of 1