Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Herd dominace

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mypony

Herd dominace Empty
PostSubject: Herd dominace   Herd dominace Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 9:12 am

We got a new horse a couple of months ago and in the last week we have introduced the new horse to our the three other horses. So now we have four geldings. My husband is concerned about herd hierarchy. Before Trigger arrived, Thunder was the boss horse, Tramp and then the old fellow Sunny. Now with Trigger introduced, Thunder is still at the top, then Trigger and Tramp and his best buddy Sunny are at the bottom.

I say they will sort it out amongst themselves. There is not much playing going on, like before Trigger arrived. But it has only been a week since the new horse was introduced. The other three have been together for several years.

What do you think? What has been your experience? I know that some people would never turn out all geldings. Other then pasturing two horses separately, they are all going to have to live together. I don't think our behaviors are going to change herd dynamics, it is something that they will have to figure out themselves, right? No one is getting hurt (other then feelings) will this last or once they get use to each other, things will smooth out?

My husband has said that he will go out a protect the old guy from Trigger! I told that Sunny can take care of himself...
Back to top Go down
Dun Tru

Dun Tru

Herd dominace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herd dominace   Herd dominace Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 10:47 am

Every single day horses compete in their herd for their order, the longer the horses have been together the less noticeable it will be. But it can take up to 6 months for a herd to really settle once a new horse has been introduced. Horses will be horses and will work it out all on their own :)

We have introduced a lot of new ponies to the herd over the past few years and notice the same things, the first few weeks there is a lot of scrambling, biting, ears pinned, squeeling etc . . . but as they settle into their new herd order the outbursts are less and less. Horses develop new bonds and new buddies and all start to get along. Blue and Tia have been together the longest in our herd and even to this day they still have their little "fights".
Back to top Go down
http://www.meadowbrookstables.8k.com

Herd dominace
Page 1 of 1