Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Geldings Playing Rough

Go down 
+2
just joan
Tammy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tammy

Geldings Playing Rough Empty
PostSubject: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 8:09 pm

OK ladies - I need some advice. Reo and Stretch are in the same paddock. I only have 2 paddocks so the "big guys" are in one and the "little guys" are in the other. Reo is the dominant one and decides which hay to eat, when to let Stretch drink, etc. The weird thing is that Stretch has turned Reo into a patchwork quilt with all the nips that he's given him. Last night was the final straw. I need to do SOMETHING but I don't know what. When I brought them in I noticed two long gashes in Reo's side. Usually only the fur is taken off but in this case the fur and skin was off. Not very deep but it drew blood. I'm NOT impressed. They have such a strange relationship. They beat the crap out of each other, play "lips", and have a friggin' FIT when one of them gets taken out of the paddock.

My question is - what the Bleeding heart do I do about it? I lectured Stretch but I'm sure once I was on my way out of the barn he stuck his tongue out at me. Saucy-pants! :horse32.gif:
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 8:14 pm

Bailey would rip the rep spots off Bucks' buttercup.......nearly every morning there would be a new bald patch.......and that was OVER the fence........once the fence came down sometimes there would be FIGHTING and SCREAMING......and sometimes they would be having FUN............but for sure Bailey was always in charge of EVERYTHING EVERYBODY did including the 2 mares.......I have absolutely no words of wisdom or real suggestions on how to curtail this, other than give them some work to do......or move the little guys in with Stretch and let Reo go in the smaller pen by himself.............good luck........
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
MoonShadow

MoonShadow

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 9:45 am

My two geldings go at it on a daily bases... they have a Bleeding heart of a good time. Both have battle scars.. nothing life threatening, just nicks and dings... they would certainly be unsightly for a show. Its a part of herd dynamics, and it is just play.. sometimes that play gets rough... and accidents happen, but if you watch closely you will see that even the minor bangs and scratches.. and yes some times alot of skin is torn and there is some bleeding.. it is play, and it is setting out who is in charge. If they wanted to inflict major damage they could and quickly.. just watch how those kick never quite connect, and if they do, they don't have alot of force behind them. I doubt they would be very happy if you separated them.. they love this play its good for the equine soul!! Mine don't back each other in corners, one is always free to drop his head and walk away.. defeat..

I have my riding ring open, so they can come and go out of it, and it is enclosed inside my pasture... one always goes inside, the other outside so they have the fence between them, then the fun begins.. lots of posturing, nipping around the face and neck, rearing, backing up and kicking, buttercup biting.. I have videos of the fun.. if I can figure out how to upload I will show you. Which ever one gives up licking his lips and walks away is the low man for the day. Ikeda by the way stands back and just watches..

When they are through rough housing you can find them sharing a bite of hay or grooming one another.

So I guess the long and short of what I am saying is in my opinion, I would not do anything, leave them be, let them work it out. That is only my opinion.
Back to top Go down
MoonShadow

MoonShadow

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 10:16 am

Okay I uploaded some pictures and a small video of the boys playing... I uploaded them on the Piccasa web site.. So

JOAN!!! How do I get them to here.. You seem to do it all the time.
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 10:43 am

Tammy - you would be horrified to see what George and Dexter do to each other... and George and Prince. Thing is I now know the difference between playing and really fighting. When George first came, just off his testerone high (snip, snip), he was out to kill Dexter. He latched onto his neck and tried to throw him like a ragdoll. THAT scared the crap out of me. If I had a gun, George would have be done. Thankfully he mellowed out but he is still very rough.

As of right now, Dexter has a half moon kick mark on his hing leg, all 3 have various scabs from bites that broke the skin - mostly on the neck and face, George and Prince have several cuts on their lower front legs from striking out at eachother, and all have bald patches on the sides and rumps. I yell at them when I see them doing it too close to the fence because the fence has been torn down on a few occasions. Other than that, I gave up and let them act like morons.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 10:54 am

I must be the odd ball of the group, my horses never do this. They will buck and play but they never hurt each other to the point your describing (bite/kick marks). We have had these types of incidences when a new horse was brought into the herd until things settle down. How are you feeding your hay? Do you spread out lots of little piles around your turnout or you just have one eating area?
Back to top Go down
MoonShadow

MoonShadow

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 11:17 am

My boys aren't competing over food.. its just plain fun, "its boys being boys"... as much as I hate that statement its true. I have several hay areas... some are in cribs.. cause is so windy here the hay will blow away other wise, some are spread out loose in the woods at tree trunk crevices.
They may "play" 3 or 4 times a day, and those sessions may last 10 to 15 mins. then you will find them head to head eating together, or head to tail, grooming each other.

They did play differently before I got the riding ring, they would not face off so much as race each other everywhere.... but still nipping each others butts. If I had halters on them they would play halter tag to no end. ( I only put halters on them when they are getting feet done, being worked with or vetted)

I was of the understanding from talking to other horse owners that this is the way it is with geldings.. mares not so much. When I first got the horses I was mortified by it all. Now they know when I am in with them, they are not to play cause I don't want to get hurt...lol If I could get this video up you would see what I mean.. cause as soon as Eko realized I was inside the riding ring he curtailed his activities... If you realy watch them you can see there is no real mean intent behind it. Its like watching 2 teenage boys wrestle.. its fun, but someone always gets hurt.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 11:38 am

I have 3 geldings and 2 mares...maybe the girls keep them in line? :)
Back to top Go down
MoonShadow

MoonShadow

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 11:40 am

Hahaha .. maybe the girls do.. I am uploading the video to youtube now.. then I can up load it here... if you see Ikeda she has her ears laid back... pissed at their silliness..
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 11:28 am

I know the boys are just playing. I think what has me concerned is that it's my boarder's horse who is wearing all the visible signs and so he wants me to change the paddock buddies around and keep Reo and Stretch seperated. I guess that's the real issue. When Reo was at other boarding barns he was in single turnout so battle scars weren't the norm. It's a whole new concept and I know it can be quite distressing when you first are getting used to seeing all the battle scars.

I'll have to wait and see what transpires. I'm thinking of keeping a fly sheet on Reo to give him a "force shield" as a first line of defence from the nips. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 11:34 am

I can't put anything on my guys in the field (sheets, halters, masks). They take it as an invitation to attack and destroy eachothers "clothes". When poor Hubba was wearing a winter blanket last fall it made him an even bigger target for Prince.

I can see how Rio's owner wouldn't want his horse all chewed up. I would be upset too if I boarded mine out and they always seems to be getting the worst of it. Tough spot to be in.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 8:06 pm

So the final verdict is that Skipper and Reo are now paddock buddies and Stretch and Thunder are paddock buddies. First I tried Skipper and Stretch but clearly Stretch was enamoured with Skipper's long, flowing locks because he spend 3 hours squealing and courting the poor old boy. I finally seperated them after a few of the neighbours came to see what the rucus was! Once I made the final switch, all is quiet at Peetree Stables. Now Reo just has to heal up his scars!
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 6:35 am

YEAH............and soon you will see them gazing at each other over the great divide.........hoping once more to be challenging stallions of their childhood days.
Back to top Go down
MSFarm

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 10:03 am

Sunny, Arizona AND Harold all play like this.
At first it was Arizona who showed all the battle scars. he had them everywheres, poor thing.
Now its Harold who is widely marked. He is the one who goes around picking the battles.
Poor Sunny, he seems to always be Harolds first choice. maybe because he is the shortest of the horses haha
Back to top Go down
http://www.mountainsandranch.webs.com/
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 10:53 am

MSF........WHO MADE YOUR SIGGY...........WAS IT TEEKA
Back to top Go down
MSFarm

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 11:38 am

I did that one up while playing around with a program I was using to made ads for my fathers company.
I should have stuck Harold in it. just thought about that now. aww poor harold. got left out...
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 12:27 pm

You'd BETTER add Harold - he's the star of the show!
Back to top Go down
MSFarm

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 1:15 pm

There, Harold is now in it. what do you think?

:cowboyhound.gi
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 2:23 pm

hey......its pretty nice........better now that HAROLD IS IN IT. :cowboyhound.gi
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Geldings Playing Rough   Geldings Playing Rough Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Geldings Playing Rough
Page 1 of 1