Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cribbing

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
drzult

Cribbing Empty
PostSubject: Cribbing   Cribbing Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 9:57 am

My horse has recently been put in a stall across from a horse that cribs. I personally do not know a lot about cribbing myself, but I do know enough to know that horses can learn it from other horses. This horse wears a cribbing collar, but is that enough. Should I be worried he will catch on, and start cribbing?
Back to top Go down
DesignedByDiesel

DesignedByDiesel

Cribbing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cribbing   Cribbing Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 12:55 pm

My mare cribs, I just put a cribbing collar on her and it was enough. She learned it all on her own without another horse to teach her. Grrr
Back to top Go down
~TC~

Cribbing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cribbing   Cribbing Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 6:10 pm

The theory on cribbing has changed over the past few years, and with more research, I think this is what it will be found to be the actual cause, and it makes perfect sense.

Horses cannot burp or vomit. So if they have stomach issues, they have to find an alternative way to relieve the discomfort.
Gulping in the air may be the equivilant to doing that???

Stomach ulcers are a huge culprit. And since most show horses or stressed horses or horse fed grains and sugars will develop ulcers, this too, make sense.

So a horse stabled with another horse is not necessarily picking up the "Habit" but moreso is probably now living the same lifestyle.. Same amount of time spent indoors? on the same hay/feed/ and/or pasture? Used for the same discipline? and then in turn, developes the same stomach issues.

Some horses develop it on their own when suddenly locked in a stall to recoup from an injury. it gets blamed on boredom.. but how about this, a horse that mentally can't handle the lock up? May develop ulcers. A horse that is not use to lack of movement, can have it effect their digestive system...a horse is meant to digest mainly fibre foods... and movement helps with that. Now the horse is standing still over a flake of hay, and possibly gets grained while recovering... = Ulcers. If it is never addressed, the said horse gets turned out again, but the ulcers were never cured so it continues on relieving them with cribbing and the owner thinks it's a vice it developed while bored..

This is why SOME horses stabled by a cribbing a horse do NOT pick up the "Vice" because they may not eating the same foods, or are of a calmer nature, or not used for a busy show season, OR can handle sugars better etc.

I have witnessed both sides, where a horse who cribbed lived for years in a barn with other horses and none picked it up from him..(He came with it..) yet this same horse had his diet changed and his cribbing stopped more then 95% of the time and could be stabled inside and out without his collar. (After cribbing for about 8 or 9 years!)
Weight loss makes sense too, not neceassarily due to cribbing so much, as it is maybe ulcers that are causing the wieght loss...the symptoms start to compound on each other.

It could be one thing, or a combination of things that cause it. Some horses figure out how to relieve their discomfort, some do not. Although those who do, get the strap to combat the "Vice" as appose to maybe actually having the cause treated.

I feel that the "Theory" of the horse getting "high" because it, stems from the horse always seeking out something to crib on, even when in the pasture.. and since no one could figure how to stop it, they came up with the "Addiction" excuse... I think it's hog wash.

A vice due to boredom IMO is more like weaving, or head bobbing, pawing , kicking the walls etc.. Those too could be cured if the horse' environment was changed and their brain was better stimulated. (Would be like keeping a border collie locked in a kennel. Something has got to give)..

Not sure, but that is my take on it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cribbing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cribbing   Cribbing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cribbing
Page 1 of 1