Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses?

Go down 
+4
Wissy
Green paint
Tammy
Ellie*Mae
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses? Empty
PostSubject: Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses?   Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 7:58 am

I was thinking its been pretty quiet on here lately, so let's start a discussion, and share some stories (if we have them)....I found this on another board. It's quite long, and obviously the posters know each other pretty well.....but my God I laughed when I saw myself - 'cause yes, yes I do.....!

I'm not as bad as I once was, although I am still pretty anal about some things...like last spring, when Dolly had the boots on, I took them off ever single day to clean her feet and disinfect the boots.....sometimes twice a day...well, I didn't want her to chaff.....hahahahahahaha...and my farrier makes fun of me, too, now that I think of it...(But in a nice way, hubby just thinks I'm nuts)! But I will ride on a windy day now, when before I wouldn't, it can be blowing a gale, and Arrow just has to deal with it, and you know what? He DOES deal with it! So it's much more me than the horse, for sure!

My husband is more of the guy in the very first post re the story about the run down farm...get on 'em and go, where you want, when you want.....you know, the "they're no f*****G if you can't!" kind of guy.... lol! Sad thing is, he's right!

http://gaitedhorsesense.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=22082&posts=111&start=1
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses?   Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 11:00 am

Great topic. I'm one of the people who are more of the "just do it" variety. If I waited until everything was perfect then I'd never get to enjoy the boys. In our area it seems that the "western" horses are well mannered and can do just about anything whereas the "english" horses are pushy, high strung, and not exposed to much other than the arena. Keep in mind that is just a general statement so don't anyone jump down my throat!

I think that in today's world people get too caught up in being in control all the time. And that's easy to do with electronics but not so easy with horses. They are living beings that offer us the challenge of the unpredictable.

Too much analyzing can be paralyzing. But there is a place for analysis. Just keep it in balance - that's the secret!
Back to top Go down
Green paint

Green paint

PostSubject: Re: Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses?   Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 11:30 am

I seem to be now "over analyzing" feet, since Im now trimming on my own.. It's just part of my personality to want everything "perfect", and I know I gotta relax on just how "perfect" I want things, but as a wise young lady once told me ( last week ), "less is more"... lol
Right TC ? :P
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses?   Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 12:55 pm

well I over analyze everything.. go figure.. cause I am anal.. eyes.. lol
Back to top Go down
Loves Color

Loves Color

PostSubject: Re: Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses?   Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 1:05 pm

I too over analyze everything. I got a bit of a chuckle when I first read this thread because it was just prior to taking my horse to the chiropractor because I was worried his back was hurting.
Back to top Go down
amadtatter

amadtatter

PostSubject: Re: Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses?   Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 1:39 pm

I'm the poster child. My horse gets massage therapy, 180.00 dollar boots, and a NEW Circle Y...because he is sore, may have tender feet, and his saddle is pinching. I take Aleve daily whilst I paddle around with my Magic Bag wrapped around my neck, have NEVER spent that much on boots for myself and shop at Frenchies, and drive a old truck (which by the way often gives me a sore back). Go figure...
Back to top Go down
oldladynewhorse
Mod
oldladynewhorse

PostSubject: Re: Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses?   Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Since I am riding a green broke horse and doing the work myself, I tend to analyze each ride and think maybe I should have... or perhaps if I did... instead of just enjoying my horse and accept the fact that she and I are going to make mistakes. I am slowly coming to the realization that she can't do everything I ask her in one night and she does have a mind of her own that needs time to accept me. She is however a quick learner and is very laid back.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses?   Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 8:58 pm

Oh amadtatter - I laughed out loud at your post. Looks like none of us are alone in this over analyzing thing. Someone very wise once told me, "let them make the mistake so that you can correct them. It's the only way they'll learn". He was referring to horses of course but I also try to apply this to my parenting (of the human child!)
Back to top Go down
amadtatter

amadtatter

PostSubject: Re: Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses?   Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 9:23 pm

I agree about the parenting thing Tammy as I have raised two , now young adults....and actually, when I leave the barn at night I'll bet my Boomer is shaking his head and chuckling saying that very thing to his roommates about me.
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses?   Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 10:48 am

Up until recently I can say I've over analyzed vet checks and expected perfection but no person/animal is PERFECT. I always assumed if a horse didn't pass they were a dud and I wouldn't give them another look. We have a vet here on the Island who doesn't "pass" any horse no matter how sound and healthy they are. He doesn't believe there is a perfect horse. I've now come to realize that really there is no pass or fail. Like everything else it just isn't that simple. The vet check has to be applied to the situation and the ambitions of the owner and the future use of the horse.

ie. A horse may have a slightly twisted leg but if the most it is going to do is be ridden is 2-3 times a week it will likely never have a negative effect.

ie. A horse may be slightly cow-hocked (some folks say the ones that are slightly cow hocked stop harder).

ie. Bad feet can almost always be fixed given the right farrier and time.

ie. Skin conditions are minor and easy to fix.

My youngest daughter's pony wouldn't "pass" a vet check if her life depended on it. She's overweight, has a hitch on her back end, and hard ground bothers her front end. She more than "passes" in our minds... she is a babysitter, steers like a charm, and has all kinds of "whoa" but also has all kinds of "go" when asked.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses?   Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's start a discussion - do we over-analyze our horses?
Page 1 of 1