Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shoulder Angles

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

Shoulder Angles Empty
PostSubject: Shoulder Angles   Shoulder Angles Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 2:07 pm

When examining conformation on a riding horse - what does shoulder angle tell you? --- a very sharp/more pronounced shoulder angle vs a smaller shoulder angle.

In your opinion does shoulder angle have a direct reflection on soundness, movement, ability to compete in certain disciplines, etc. ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
lb-ranch

Shoulder Angles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shoulder Angles   Shoulder Angles Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 2:46 pm

I notice it when riding, good shoulder usually equals a smoother stride, some of the "upright" shoulders I've ridden have short choppy strides, I really notice in the soft footing of the arena which horses stride long and which stride short by their hoof prints in the ground, and then look at the horse and most of the time the short striding "bumpy" ones to ride are straight shouldered.
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

Shoulder Angles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shoulder Angles   Shoulder Angles Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 3:02 pm

I agree with LB. A short, upright shoulder equates a short, choppy stride. A long sloping shoulder offers a much smoother ride. To be fair, while short and steep is the most awful, short and angled isn't much better. I find while the stride is longer the shorter shoulder makes the horse choppy. My horse has a very steep shoulder, yet it is also very long, his stride can be choppy if you try to slow him down, he almost lurches, but if you let him stretch out, he gets just as much freedom as a sloping shoulder and is quite smooth.

I think shoulder has a lot to do with discipline, any sort of riding where one would need a nice long stride like dressage or reining, you would want a horse with a long sloping shoulder. I think a short upright shoulder would be fine if you wanted a short upright stride (I'm picturing crab-walking WP horses lol) but I find that usually with a short upright shoulder the depth of heart girth is usually not great and the front end can be quite weak.
Back to top Go down
~TC~

Shoulder Angles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shoulder Angles   Shoulder Angles Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 9:01 am

Don't forget, a shoulder angle is changable.. it is not a fixed joint.

It will change with the pastern angle.... pastern angle will change with the hoof angle.

Your more upright hooves produce and upright pastern which produces and upright shoulder... you then can have a choppy horse to ride.. or one that does not extend out properly.

Get the horse's hooves in check, and you will have a smoother horse.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shoulder Angles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shoulder Angles   Shoulder Angles Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shoulder Angles
Page 1 of 1