Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

a young horse and it height?

Go down 
+3
oldladynewhorse
lb-ranch
mypony
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mypony

a young horse and it height? Empty
PostSubject: a young horse and it height?   a young horse and it height? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 12:00 pm

How old are horses when they finish growing in height? (Generally speaking)

So a two and a half year old, that is 14.1 and both his parents are 15 and 15.1hh, what are the chances of the offspring growing that tall?

I know when I got my Paint as a two year old he grew alot in height and filled out bunch by the time he was five.

Thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: a young horse and it height?   a young horse and it height? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 12:28 pm

A lot depends on lines, some mature early and some later, Halter horses often reach close to mature size before they're two, others will grow slower and finish around 4 at their mature height. A few other breeds still grow a little when 4-6yrs old (usually only an inch over that time) Feed quality and percentages make a big difference. Protein encourages growth, most horse maintanance feeds run around 12% protein, growth feeds are 16% and a good vitamin/mineral supplement is a bonus, good deworming schedule is important too. If at 2 1//2 you're at 14.1 I doubt 15.1 is in the future, more like 14.3 or if you're lucky 15hh.
Back to top Go down
oldladynewhorse
Mod
oldladynewhorse

PostSubject: Re: a young horse and it height?   a young horse and it height? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Gosh, when I bought Ponie almost a year ago she was about 14-14.1 and we thought that 15 hands was all she was going to be (she was 3). Well, that thought went down the tubes. She is 15.2 behind and 15.1 in front now and still growing as far as we can tell. Both her parents are both around 15 hands I have been told. Even my husband who is not a horsey type said she looks like she has grown alot!! I hope she quits growing soon I am just a short fat woman. lol!
Back to top Go down
Krista

Krista

PostSubject: Re: a young horse and it height?   a young horse and it height? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 2:44 pm

Is there anything a person could do to encourage a young horse to fill out? Indy is certainly tall enough for me now (he'll be 4 in March, and is a smidge over 16 hands, I'd say) I'm just waiting for him to start to fill out. He's getting a half scoop of high fat high fibre twice a day, and about 3-4 flakes twice a day...
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: a young horse and it height?   a young horse and it height? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Krista wrote:
Is there anything a person could do to encourage a young horse to fill out? .

of the 10 I have here, 3 would be borderline obese, 4 well fleshed, 2 Fit, and one I'd like to see gain just a little but she's thoroughbred so she's good for a TB.. I find 24/7 good quality hay to be the key (plus mine drink huge amounts of water since it's heated for them) We use relatively little grain and only 4 get that the rest are hay fed only. I've bought other peoples "hard keepers" and once we switched them from "flakes" fed couple times day to free choice hay they all bumped weight very easily. With thin rescues I do use beetpulp with good success.
Back to top Go down
tilly

PostSubject: Re: a young horse and it height?   a young horse and it height? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Krista most male horses don't completely fill out until they are 7, he should start to fill out this year and probably will not grow much taller. Just think of Indy as a gangly teenage boy.
Back to top Go down
Krista

Krista

PostSubject: Re: a young horse and it height?   a young horse and it height? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 6:29 am

He definitely has the short attention span of a teenage boy! Haha! Thank goodness he shouldn't get any taller, if he did, I'd need a little rope ladder to hang off of my saddle ;)
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: a young horse and it height?   a young horse and it height? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 11:30 am

you can get those! bahaha
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: a young horse and it height?   a young horse and it height? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 9:35 am

We find with our performance bred QHs they tend to grow up until they're about 3 year old and then they chunk up as 4 year olds. There are always exceptions though!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: a young horse and it height?   a young horse and it height? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

a young horse and it height?
Page 1 of 1