Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stall Footing?

Go down 
+3
Fiere
lb-ranch
Dun Tru
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dun Tru

Dun Tru

Stall Footing? Empty
PostSubject: Stall Footing?   Stall Footing? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 12:44 pm

Just curious what everyone uses for footing/flooring in their stalls or run-ins! Let me know what the pros and cons are and rough idea of cost! Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
http://www.meadowbrookstables.8k.com
lb-ranch

Stall Footing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stall Footing?   Stall Footing? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 2:50 pm

I have one stall with concrete floor and rubber mat over top, another 2 have asphalt with rubber, 2 dirt/gravel mix with mats on top and another couple with dirt/gravel base and wood, and then we use sawdust for bedding, I like the wood with rubber mats best, they seem warmer to stand on in winter and drain pretty good, next would be the rubber mat on dirt, last is the concrete and asphalt, nice solid floors but no drainage. our new addition I'll go with wood over the dirt and rubber mat. The wood we put down 7 yrs ago is still great, havent had any rot or bad sections but we also keep them clean and air them out occasionally, most places I've seen people complain about their wood rotting are also places where I've gone in and a foot of manure is on the wood floor so what would they expect.
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

Stall Footing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stall Footing?   Stall Footing? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 9:11 pm

I have dirt with rubber for one, and concrete and rubber for the other, both I use wood pellets for bedding.

The concrete sucks. Pee sits under the mats and if he is more messy than usual the smell is nasty. Also the 'squish' of the floor... takes forever to dry out.

Love the dirt. Dirt alone I hate, but dirt and rubber, can't say enough about. I dug the front of the stall door down a touch and put gravel in, so when he pees, it pools in that area (thus easy mucking) and what does get under the mats is gone as the gravel is amazing for drainage.

Mats for the stalls run about 70$, but we use rubber belting that the barn owner received a quarter of a million years ago, so no cost to us. I will be going dirt and rubber in my barn when I build. Only thing I would do differently is dig the stalls out, add gravel for drainage (as I have now) and the rest of the stall would be built up with sand, much softer than the clay I use now (but the clay is great) and then put the mats over top.
Back to top Go down
Dun Tru

Dun Tru

Stall Footing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stall Footing?   Stall Footing? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 8:06 am

I've thought about the rubber mats - only thing is the two stalls we would be looking to do are 20x10 each, so thats a lot of area to cover with mats :( And would add up relaly quickly, right now it is kind of a clay base, thankfully it dries out quickly, but if it does get wet the top surface gets a bit mushy and I can see the bedding getting messy real quick. Right now the stalls are open and just a big 20x20 run in for the horses, but soon they will be divided into two foaling stalls.
Back to top Go down
http://www.meadowbrookstables.8k.com
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

Stall Footing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stall Footing?   Stall Footing? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:43 am

My run in is crusher dust. It holds up really well, after 3 years I had to get another load and add another layer. Every time you scoop poop a little bit of gravel goes with it. I do keep 2 stall mats right in the door way because that's were they congregate, poop and fight so it will get mushed in pretty good and make a real mess if just bare gravel.
I like it because it's easy to clean, I don't need any extra bedding and it dries quickly after a storm. Prince will actually lie down in there but if they want a real comfy spot they just plop themselves on the edge of the manure pile. Cushy and toasty warm in the winter. lol!
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

Stall Footing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stall Footing?   Stall Footing? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 10:33 am

My barn floor is compacted shale with finer pit run compacted on the top (mix of smaller rocks and dirt). Its held up great over the last 4 years. Its getting due for another load of pit run on the top but I think its still fine. I don't use bedding though. It drains great. The only time its gets a little soupy is if were in the wet season and its been raining for days, other then that it stays almost as hard as concrete. At the moment its a layer of packed snow/ice with poop mixed in. Can't wait for it to thaw enough for me to clean it out for summer.

Do you have a rock crusher or some other similar business where you can get rejected conveyor belts to use as mats for free or close to it? I've also heard of a couple of people using square patio blocks on their run in floors but I don't know how much those would run you.

Wood would probably be cheapest but keep in mind the time its going to take to cut the boards and install them and then eventually they will need to be replaced. A little more cost up front for the mats would be worth it I think in the long run. If your stall is 10x20 what if you put a mat just in the middle of each stall, not wall to wall? Eventually you can add more when you have more $.
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

Stall Footing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stall Footing?   Stall Footing? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 10:48 am

Quote :
Do you have a rock crusher or some other similar business where you can get rejected conveyor belts to use as mats for free or close to it?

Kaila - You can check at Brittany Conveyor, they are in Truro Heights by the Big Stop. I would but my ex's new wife works there and I rather poke my eye out! lol!

I meant to mention, that I clean my run in out 3 times a day all winter long. More work each day but I think it keeps the gravel in better shape and it would be one huge job if I waited till spring. I imagine you'd need a loader for that.

Back to top Go down
Tammy

Stall Footing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stall Footing?   Stall Footing? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 12:55 pm

We have concrete with rubber matting wall to wall. Then I used sawdust to absorb all the urine. It's the only kind of floor I've had so I can't really comment on the other types. We pressure wash the stalls in the summer so I haven't noticed a smell from any urine going under the mats.

Our outdoor run-in in just crushed gravel. It's easy to scoop and provides good drainage.
Back to top Go down
teekathepony

teekathepony

Stall Footing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stall Footing?   Stall Footing? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 7:31 pm

We have wooden floors built on top of lots of big gravel. Great drainage, no smell, even in the summer. I just put down lots of bedding and it works great. The floor boards can come up and be taken out and washed too.

eta: couldn't tell you the cost unfortunately. Sorry!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stall Footing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stall Footing?   Stall Footing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stall Footing?
Page 1 of 1