Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"I rode today".....

Go down 
+10
Tango
Flicka
Tammy
Brown
charlo
Bay-Lee
teekathepony
oldladynewhorse
lb-ranch
Ellie*Mae
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

"I rode today"..... Empty
PostSubject: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 8:12 am

since I'm sidelined for a couple of weeks, can I ride virtually through my ME buddies?

Please post here about your rides, or drives! Good, bad, or ugly :-)

Can't wait to read them!!
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 8:38 am

Nothing worse than wanting to ride and not being allowed to, Sadly I'm the opposite, can ride any time but just dont feel like it in the drizzle and cold we've had too much of lately, partially because my arthritis acts up on those cold days. Did get 2 nice days last week and took my Grand daughters mare out for her first ride since she foaled 2 weeks before, and had a great ride on Kid for our first "outdoor" session of the year, spent quite a bit of time working on transition from trot to canter, a little rough taking off but such a smooth canter once he's into it. This week planning on trying to drive my mini if the weather co operates.
"I rode today"..... 250153_10150652706380192_512275191_19461007_115013_n
Jackie and Diva
"I rode today"..... 248709_10150655491660192_512275191_19490742_3122120_n
My boarder Caitlin on her QH MG, and Kid and I
"I rode today"..... 252042_10150655476595192_512275191_19490503_785992_n
canter take off :)
Back to top Go down
oldladynewhorse
Mod
oldladynewhorse

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 9:12 am

I rode yesterday and my mare was a wee bit bitchy. She squealed and bucked on the lunge line. She has not done that forever and then tossed and shook her head constantly, decided she didn't know how to back, and the squirrel must have been the trees and she thought it was going to eat her cause she was a little spooky going by the "squirrel tree". She was better towards the end of the ride and we ended on a good note. I think I will braid her forelock and see if that helps the head tossing and shaking. I know that black flies are bad but I think her own forelock is tickling her ears. But on a good note she stood still when I got on and that is improving.
Back to top Go down
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 10:45 am

lb-ranch wrote:
Nothing worse than wanting to ride and not being allowed to, Sadly I'm the opposite, can ride any time but just dont feel like it in the drizzle and cold

Same. I've got a bad case of the blahs. I will try to get a ride in just for you, Ellie*Mae, and I'll get some pictures or videos too.
Back to top Go down
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 10:59 am

I hope your up and at em soon ellie*mae..I rode Bay-lee yesterday at a new barn, we were riding in a ring that had sand for footing, ....I was at a canter and I complelty lost Bay-Lee's head for 2 strides, My feet slipped out of my stip-ups, and my upper body went over the front of my saddle...Now, the thing is, I dont know if he was trying to get me off, or if he mis stepped in the sand..His butt didnt come up, and I stayed on, so, I am just not sure, but that scared the bejesus out of me... :).... My riding buddy said if he wanted to buck me off, I would of went off..So, it will remain a mystery, and I did take him to a canter a few minutes later, with no signs of him wanting me off..So that was my ride yesterday....
Back to top Go down
charlo

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 10:01 pm

I did ride today as well...1st time in a week (bad horse mom, bad horse mom) And it was a wonderful ride. I have a young horse (so the not riding is really a bad thing *rolleyes*) but we are doing great. The ride went well tonight, we even were getting nice circle shaped circles, with a proper bend. She did have a few "I'm not working" moment, but that's just her I push through and we continue on. I love my pony (all 16'2 of her). I will ride my pony tomorrow too, and I will not let the rain get in my way...it isn't like I'm going to melt. lol!
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 8:19 am

You guys - this is great! Thanks so much...LOVE LOVE LOVE all the pictures and stories!
Syl, I have been admiring how you work with your boy - I love to see a stud as a working horse - and he is just stunning to look at anyway!
You are doing great with him and hopefully the weather will warm up (the only good thing is - no bugs!) Bay-Lee, how far you two have come in 5 years...I remember your first story of the trail ride with BayLee and how scared you both were...now he trips at the canter with you aboard and you canter him off again....inspiring! And I'm sure it was just a trip, and not a buck...still, not a great feeling at all!
Teeka, would love to see some pics...nothing better for the inside of a woman, right, then the outside of a horse?
Charlo - I've seen your horses...bad horse mom? - never!
OLNH - Spring fever, maybe? I usually put Arrow's forlock in a braid or an elastic, especially if the wind is blowing - he went from being ubber-lookie-lookie, to almost no-spooky....such a silly little man! Plus, he has grown up...some days :-)

I hate Arrow munching around getting fat(ter) for 2 more weeks - he'll be that lazy he won't want to move - lol!
Back to top Go down
Brown

Brown

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 10:46 am

Rode this weekend at our 2 day Equestrain Trails & Show clinic in Woodstock with Sherrye Johnson-Trafton of Brunswick, Maine. Sherrye is a professional horsewoman, an AQHA judge and stewart and has qualified for the world. It always amazes me what we have in our own backyard. I have been to a few clinics and this one was probably the best one yet. ETSA has already asked Sherrye to consider coming again next year.

Fax did great and we were able to work on better collection and flexion resulting in smoother lead changes and stops.

There also was a 2 hour demonstration on trail and the way to handle different obstacles.

A truly great weekend for me and my girl and the beautiful weather helped too.

Later
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 1:25 pm

I rode Stretch today. Yes, you have read it right - I RODE STRETCH TODAY! I keep saying I'm going to but life seems to get in the way. Plus there's that damn lazy leaf that I keep hiding under. I am thinking about taking him in the canada day show (pleasure class) and realized that it's only 3 weeks away. So it may not happen. We are both suffering from the winter weight gain.

Having said that, we DID ride today. He wasn't overly impressed with the whole idea - especially since his little buddy Thunder was out mowing the lawn for me. I worked on slowing down his jog to pleasure speed. His reverse button is as good as ever. We did some lope work in both directions. He's definitely stiff, and really couldn't get the idea through his head that he had to do more than one consecutive circle. I'm not sure who was groaning the loudest, him or me! I even got brave enough to do a flying lead change! Overall it was a fantastic ride. So glad I pushed myself to get out from under the leaf.

Now I'm sitting on the couch getting caught up on my horsie sites. My knee is aching and my legs are seizing up. Just reminds me that I really need to ride more. Stretch is such a fun horse to ride. Not to mention that he's very tolerant of my riding!
Back to top Go down
Flicka

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 2:45 pm

I got to ride Flicka for like 10 minutes out in the pasture. I have determined I need a riding arena, even if it's something small. But on a good note, everywhere we moved Dealer moved too, so it also got him moving without the extra weight of a rider.
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 5:20 pm

Had a surprise visit from Bay Lee and Rude today :)
Caitlin was here too so after baylee and rude left we saddled up and rode for about an hour, just working on same old same old walk/trot/canter transitions, even accidentally managed a flying lead change, canter started to hesitate on the straight way and when I felt him try to break into trot I gave a firm nudge and ended up back in canter but opposite lead. Now hope he does that later when we're ready to actually ask for them.
Sorry no pics today :(
Back to top Go down
charlo

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Oh Oh another good ride tonight, even had a nice lunge session before the ride. She also had another pilot on board tonight. I put my son up on her after our workout, just to cool her out. I walked beside them, with control over her, but he was getting to her to walk, halt on his own. I'm not ready as in she isn't ready for him to ride solo yet, but it is getting there. I am very pleased with my pony.. It has been along road to get to this point, with lots of mental struggles on my part but here we are, and I'm loving it.
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 8:38 am

Our ring finally dried out enough and I tried bareback and a riding halter a couple times. I love my guys gel seat sometimes a little extra weight is a good thing. He did really well bitless, but if I try and work on any lateral (he is just starting) moves the knots wiggle around and ride up which irritates him. We've also gone on a couple great trail rides. We put fly bonnets on and that has helped with the head shaking (although LB I think Tazz feels a little silly and isn't overly impressed, but bears it with dignity) and the pony's is a little big so he will angle his head some to peek out under it lol. On the down side, my club foot gelding who has been bang on all winter is showing a slight limp again sigh. I had put his boots on for the last couple rides... they are getting worn out, not sure if they caused the problem or not. There is a small slit on the bottom of his foot near the heel across the white line area, so don't know maybe he just poked it. I've taken the hose and washed it well and put some thrush med in it. Hopefully he'll come around.

Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 11:35 am

Quote :
There is a small slit on the bottom of his foot near the heel across the white line area
Sounds like it could be an abcess?
Back to top Go down
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 3:14 pm

i rode Nike the other day, it was our 3rd ride since coming home from the trainers, and she threw her first buck! shes SO energetic..its difficult to tire her out! but shes lovely all the same, and smart as can be. Glenn was impressed with her overall :)

I havnt been able to ride casey since last week..he injured himself in his stall on saturday, and its pretty nasty :( ...i actually am expecting the vet any minute, i gave in and called her..as the piece he ripped out of his foot is still attached, and im afraid he might rip it more if it catches on something, plus hes getting more touchy about letting me clean it, so im scared there might be an infection starting ! everyone cross your fingers for me...of course he would hurt himself when i have a show in less than 2 weeks... but luckily i have a backup ! haha.. nike may be getting her show debut sooner than she thought ;)
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 7:56 am

Thanks barefoot, I am watching it closely and there doesn't seem to be any other indications. I hose it out and put the antibacterial meds in it and the limp is slight and seemed a bit better yesterday. There are some nicks on the edge of the hoof so I am hoping it is just some bang/bruising from their frolic around the pasture the other day - I love seeing them whoop it up, but we are a hilly area and I always expect someone to crash lol. I tried to take some pics of the foot but the knick is so small it didn't really show up.
Back to top Go down
shelly

shelly

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 8:08 am

You can ride my horse! hahaha!
"I rode today"..... Th_100_2785
Back to top Go down
charlo

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 8:13 am

I didn't ride yesterday, but my son did. He has been working with my old mare. He joined pony club this year, and would like to try eventing out (YAY!!!) So last night they were working on the starting of jumping. He had a nice controlled ride (something he has been working on) horse was balanced, they even did some speed bumps.

* great idea Shelly, I wish I could do that with my own horse, maybe someday soon.
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:36 am

Ladies - this is GREAT!! Thanks for the great ride, Shelly lol! Hope everyones "bumps" heal quick and aren't too serious, Arrow's eye looks like it's healing great (thank God!) Although it will have a small flaw, thanks to him rubbing out a stitch :-(

and how's Tammy? Recovered from the ride on Stretch? And how's Stretch? lol!
I see the surgeon next Wednesday, hope I'll have the all clear from him then, as I don't go back to work unitl the following Monday = 5 days to ride :-)
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 10:48 am

Stretch and I are still alive. He told me that he prefers grazing to riding though!

Yesterday Skipper and I did some english riding. I must say, he's a lot smoother to ride than Stretch - but not near as pretty! We worked on transitions and trying to make a circle look like a circle. He's such a good old man and keeps trying even when the old body is huffing and puffing. Love him! Near the end of the session I decided to try a small crossrail. And that's when the adventure began!

I don't have any jump standards so I figured I'd just use two poles, put one end on the fence and the other on my mounting stool. I have to admit that I use my stool even to mount Skipper. This old bod just doesn't seem to excel at mounting anymore - no matter how many times I "bounce to three". So after I got my "jump" set up, I had to get back on the boy. First try - I barely got off the ground. Second try - the saddle slipped completely sideways (and I still didn't manage to get up!). Then I had to adjust the saddle. My next plan of attack was to walk him up beside the stool (which is now a jump standard), have him stand there and then I could use the stool to mount. It never failed - every time I stepped onto the stool, he'd swing his hind end away, just enough that I couldn't get up. I then figured I'd try to mount from the right side so I walked him forward, turned him around and then positioned him beside the stool again. I COULDN'T GET UP! I cannot believe how out of shape I am. There's definitely too much junk in my trunk! So that didn't work. In a final attempt, I walked him half way over the "jump" so that the stool was on his left side, and then managed to get up. VERY unsafe, but highly effective.

OK, so now we're up and it's time to jump. First I walked him over it. No problems. Then I trotted him over it. Well, almost. He ducked out to the left. Next time around I kept some pressure on the right rain and over he went! A few more times and then I got brave enough to try it at the canter. It wasn't pretty because I haven't a clue about how to properly judge the distance and where to take off, so I just let Skipper figure it out. And he did.

After all that we just walked around to cool down. Then he got to go out and mow the lawn for me. I can't believe we JUMPED! And I wasn't even afraid!

"I rode today"..... 775395
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 11:48 am

Tammy - that's a fantastic mental movie! Funny, Arrow doesn't seem to be upset at all either that he is on holiday - huh! He is getting very chubby, glad we don't have lush pastures....Pushing the limits - you go girl! But we need some pics, maybe, I'd love to see Skipper in his english attire...Skipper is an amazing pony - what a great ambassador for his breed (and credit to his rider, for sure!) I haven't had a chance to try out the english gear on Arrow yet in a real ride - YET! Don't think I will attempt jumping though - although he is great with trotting poles, could care less.

I can't get on Arrow from the ground - god forbid!! He's around 15.2 or 3, too high for me...He is a funny boy, too, and no fool - stands like a rock to be mounted from the step, but he'll try and walk away if mounted from the ground...works for me :-)
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 1:52 pm

i love reading this thread, it encourages me to go out and ride, and now i want to brag a little about my pony!

as i posted in another topic, Angus and I are getting to know each other (he came to me from a friend in Ontario in Decmeber), and he's teaching me how to ride western! (english background). I dont think I learned this much in 7 months with any other horse, he is a great teacher.
Yesterday we went trail riding, and he was a perfect gentleman, then we set up some barrels for fun/experimentation sake, and it seems he's done it before! So I may try barrel racing in our next show! Im having a total blast, he makes all these events fun, and not scary at all (nervous rider).

Today I rode again, but in the field with my other two stbds (the whole area is fenced now, for maximal riding), and they reverted back to their trail ride training. Made Angus a little nervous (since he's lowest in the herd), but they were well behaved, they even trotted along behind us! Must have been quite the scene, lol. I think I need to convince the bf to put up a strand of electric to make a riding section tho... when I tried to canter/lope, the stbds thought this meant take off across the field at a mad run. I guess I found a way to exercise all 3 at once! lol
Back to top Go down
charlo

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 8:54 pm

I rode again tonight...wow do I ever love my horse. She is beginning to get a nice work attitude, before she wanted to do anything but work, but lately has been coming into her own. We even worked over some speed bump cross rails. "I rode today"..... 775395
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 7:08 pm

I rode today! I rode today! Just at a walk, my riding paddock was tilled too deep to do anything but walk, but I rode!! Yipee!
Arrow is quite chubby after 3 weeks off....tomorrow night, we go in the big field...so happy :-)
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 7:09 pm

congrats!! thats very exciting!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "I rode today".....   "I rode today"..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"I rode today".....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next