Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

Horse urinating under saddle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Horse urinating under saddle   Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:00 am

Haha okay this is very random and I don't believe I have ever discussed this on a forum in the past 5 years.

My horse recently started urinating every single time I ride her.

From the time I was a little girl I was always told that because a horse pees holding its legs backwards which in turn places strain on the loins (just behind the saddle) sitting in the seat can cause considerably more strain on the orse's back. Horses have very few muscles or fat there and you need to be very careful of this area. The kidneys, which deal with all the pooisons in the body are situated just behind the saddle. For this reason, I always stand up in my stirrups or two-point.

My question is, is it common for a mare to pee every ride? She isn't necessarily in heat... and as a matter of fact she doesn't usually have strong heats (perhaps 1-2 super noticeable ones per year when she becomes well, a whore. lol) She started doing it every ride this summer and ocasional trail rides last summer.

Usually she pees when we are a couple KMs from home, but she's been known to do it anywhere on the trails. The other horses with me continue on without notice its become a joke that if Willow and I are far behind its because she's peeing. She never used to do this when we rode in a ring/lessons/clinics which were sometimes 2 hours in length.

Everyone makes fun of us because we stop for 1-2 seconds every pooh pile so that she can smell the neighbouring horses pooh, I let her because I'm a very relaxed rider and she's not pulling me to smell it or not wanting to go forward when I ask... I'm always like oh look Will, theres poop up ahead and sure enough she's zeros in on it..... (special horse I tell yah!! :S) I thought maybe she's marking by urinating but it seems very sporatic. Could be just conincidence that she needs to go when I'm riding... just hope that there isn't some sort of infection or added pressure happening.

Never a dull moment with Willow and I..... :)

Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: Horse urinating under saddle   Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:37 am

My daughters gelding pees just about every ride. Not so much in the ring, but certainly on the trail. She just stands in her stirups. Seems her riding instructor told them to do that when one of the school horses peed (that is just a weird looking word!) during a lesson.

Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: Horse urinating under saddle   Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Thanks Tango.

I'm officially the weird one on ME because of this post now. ;)

I just realized I should have put more thought into the header of this post!... I don't pee in my saddle guys! not yet anyway.
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: Horse urinating under saddle   Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm

lol! You may just start a new class... UUS, kinda like HUS but...well, not really. lol!

My gelding did this once and I think it was just cause he really had to go. Freaked me out cause I didn't know what was going on at first. Kinda like those full body shakes that take you by surprise.

Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

PostSubject: Re: Horse urinating under saddle   Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:44 pm

I wouldn't worry at all! Years ago my sister rode her mare in a judged trail ride - she won rookie trophy because the mare urinated on the trail with Kat still on her....judges said that showed she was very relaxed, a tense horse won't urinate, let alone one with rider up....and of course, there is that mare thing!!
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Horse urinating under saddle   Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:31 am

when I read the title ofyour post I was trying to figure out how a horse could urinate underneath a saddle. I was a little freaked out trying to think how you ride! ha ha!

I guess when you gotta go, you gotta go. I'm usually the one that has to urinate every time I'm "under saddle"!
Back to top Go down
Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Horse urinating under saddle   Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:40 am

My geldings have never done it. The gelding I just went to look at did it twice, each time I rode him. It is odd, but at the same time not uncommon, and I find geldings to it more than mares. Most horses have the decency not to pee in the cross ties, my pony just adores that. I think its a male thing, high high he can splash up the walls lol.
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: Horse urinating under saddle   Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:45 pm

Hahaha Tammy, it could be worse... I could have called the thread "Horse urinating while mounted" oh my..

Thanks guys, while I still feel silly for asking something so random.. I feel better knowing I'm not alone.. however I still find it strange that she's doing this every single ride when she never used to.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Horse urinating under saddle   Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:27 pm

If its a new behaviour she may have a UTI. Is she peeing more then normal when not being ridden?

It doesn't sound like that's the issue though. I agree with what Ellie Mae says. At an endurance race if you can get your horse to pee before you go to have your pulse checked apparently it helps them recover much quicker. My mare never pees on the trail.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Horse urinating under saddle   

Back to top Go down

Horse urinating under saddle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1