Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!!

Go down 
+3
Simi
mypony
Lightning
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Lightning
Mod
Lightning

Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!! Empty
PostSubject: Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!!   Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 1:48 pm

Audi always has been barefoot, as he has excellent dark feet. Dylan has white feet all the way around and had white line disease when he was very young. He's always been barefoot in the back, but shod Spring, Summer, Fall in the front. About the first of September last year, after he had pulled a shoe twice in 2 weeks, I told my farrier to come and take them off. I went to the Cavello boots. I rode him in them all fall until the snow came. This Spring when I rode him barefoot, I found that he very rarely takes his weight off of his front feet to go across rocky ground. My farrier was at the barn this morning and gave him a clean bill of health and said that he could go barefoot. Of course when I'm going on really long rides, that I know has rough terrain, I will put his Cavellos on. My farrier said today that he prefers the barefoot trim and if he could he would just tell people that he would just do trims and leave the shoeing to other farriers.
Back to top Go down
mypony

PostSubject: Re: Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!!   Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 2:59 pm

Well that is good. I have a question about your horse wearing Cavello's. Do you put something, like a liner or something to prevent blisters? I have a pair and I am just concerned about causing blisters.
Back to top Go down
Simi
Mod
Simi

PostSubject: Re: Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!!   Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 3:12 pm

I have those same boots and penn in them and never had a problem with them...
Congrats lightning...
Back to top Go down
http://www.maritime-equestrians.com
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

PostSubject: Re: Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!!   Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 7:44 pm

good for you and your horses.. good job..
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!!   Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 7:51 pm

I have Cavallo boot too.. and love them, I use the pastern wraps sometimes, not always.. probably will will use them more now that the new ones are much easier to get on.. this prevents rubbing on the bulb.. although I see very little rubbing when I go without.. if they fit nice and tight they shouldn't rub.. you'll find just before a trim they fit really snug..
I will never put shoes on my boy.. he's more comfortable and so much easier for me to maintain as well..
Back to top Go down
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!!   Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 7:53 am

Quote :
My farrier said today that he prefers the barefoot trim and if he could he would just tell people that he would just do trims and leave the shoeing to other farriers.

I know a farrier that does a lot of drafts that are not shod. He said that he was doing them this way, noticing a huge different.. (Drafts often have a lot of wall separation... and some breeds are made to flare to make the foot appear bigger... the pulling horses, I see are tight and short... which make sense, they are taking on a lot of force. Last thing they would want is wall separation... :shock: )

Good Luck Lightning, Sounds like you are happy so far. :)
Back to top Go down
Sailorgirl

Sailorgirl

PostSubject: Re: Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!!   Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 10:37 pm

I will not put shoes on Sailor if I can help it. A boot would be better if I find he wears his hooves down too much on the trail...but I don't think I could find ones big enough to fit over da big feet!!
Back to top Go down
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!!   Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 9:13 am

It's ok Sailorgirl...
a healthy hoof will not wear down... actually, it is kind of neat, the hoof, when stimulated by rough terrain, (like sand, gravel, pavement) on a regular basis, will grow faster to keep up with the wear. It becomes a great balance actually.

Granted, what can tend to scare people is an untrimmed horse, with lots of wall material, they head out on a ride and it all comes chipping off...that is what is kind of coined as a "self trim"... the hoof has finally been given the chance to get rid of all this excess wall it is not suppose to have.

An extreme case of wear, may be a horse that was made to run, or got lose and went on a tangent gallop through some rough terrain over a long distance...maybe, MAYBE there would be excess wear...

One of the only times I saw excess wear was a horse that scrambled on a trailer... wore down the side of her hoof that scraped on the wall of the trailer over and over...

Just a regular trail ride or even regular workouts on footing like crusher dust, is GREAT for the hooves.. It will wear down a metal shoe of course, because metal shoes don't regrow... but not so for the hooves... :)

In the end, if it makes you feel more comfortable though, boots are a great choice... :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!!   Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally!! Both my horses are barefoot!!
Page 1 of 1