Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis?

Go down 
+9
Hug a Horse Farm
Barefoot_Horsegirl
Sailorgirl
Tango
amadtatter
Salsasue
oldsaddlebags
just joan
PaintedRidge
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
PaintedRidge

PaintedRidge

Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis?   Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 6:12 pm

thanks Nancy he had a great trip over to PEI and was good for the vets:) He is used to getting his butt hauled around alot, which I really really really miss!
He is such a good boy!!!!!
Yes it is better than Laminitis, but still not a very postive outcome:(
I will move forward though and see if I can get him comfortable.

Does anyone know of a good correctiver farrier that comes to the metro area on a regular basis?
Vet wants to try shoes and pads first. I will follow this as per vets think this will really help him.
Need someone asap!

Thanks
Back to top Go down
amadtatter

amadtatter

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis?   Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 9:20 pm

Navicular is VERY much like arthritis.except it is degenerative and progressive. Unlike laminitis which can sometimes be helped by dietary and lifestyle changes, ND is all about treating the pain and keeping the horse comfy, which is often a tricky puzzle to solve. The other problem is that opinions regarding footcare go from one side of the spectrum to the other ranging from barefoot rehab to wedged heels and bar shoes. One thing to keep in mind is that one thing almost ALL the experts agree on is movement...the more the better (if the horse can tolerate it). Decreased circulation to the feet and therefore the navicular bone is a huge part of what causes the boney changes to beging with...and since movement equals bloodflow, turnout becomes an extremely important consideration. Pain meds are another way to help. I am allowing my guy to be a test subject with a drug called Previcox..I should be hearing more about this from my vet this week and i'll keep you posted Kim.

On another note..as an owner of a young (7years) navicular horse I have recently made a decision. I am not going to allow my guy to be defined by this disease ... he is so much more than a chronically lame horse. Just being with him makes me happy and relaxes me, he listens patiently to all my troubles and makes me laugh every day. If I am able to catch a ride every now and then, awesome...if not, I will be happy to walk along side him on the trails and shower him with love for as long as he is comfortable.

Hang in there Kim...maybe we should start a support group..lol ;o)
Back to top Go down
Twilight

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis?   Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 5:59 am

amadhatter, we loved the Previcox in use for my arthritic mare; it gave us another full year together.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis?   Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 6:45 am

I actually thought we WERE A SUPPORT GROUP............we all LOVE our horse friends, sometimes way more than some people, and only wish we could make them happy and pain free forever. The bit about just being with them and listening to them breathe and watching them JUST BE is Everything to me too.
I never would try to force My Opinions on anyone......I only try to give an insight or a suggestion that perhaps you havent tried or heard of.
I hope and pray that you can find something that makes them comfortable enough to be part of your lives a long time. :hug.gif:
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
Krista

Krista

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis?   Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 7:41 am

If I had've known, I would've given ya a big hug while you were here!
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis?   Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 11:53 am

Trying again, I thought I posted earlier.... hmmmm computer gremlins.

It is good you have answers now and a plan of treatment. Here is hoping for some improvements!

We can start a crazy horse lady club where we all take our gimpy horses for walks up and down the road lol. I'm sure the neighbours would talk ;-)
Back to top Go down
amadtatter

amadtatter

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis?   Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 1:03 pm

I know my neighbors are already talking...especially when I poop scoop. I figure if I keep the side of the road clean I can steer clear of the "complainers". These big dogs make big poops! ;o)
Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis?   Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 1:19 pm

Heehee, I can just image the size of the doggy bag you would have to be dragging around. Don't think you can use the bag over the hand/pick up/invert method of pooper scooping.
Back to top Go down
amadtatter

amadtatter

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis?   Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 9:21 pm

Now that you say that Joan, you are right. This forum has been very supportive...much like a support group. It is somehow comforting to come home and chat with others going through similar things, when you have spent the day watching everyone else riding and working their horses..so hard to know how it actually feels to have a sick horse until it happens. I also love the many suggestions and insights we read here...always good to hear what others are trying or have tried. I am so glad to have stumbled upon this forum.
Back to top Go down
PaintedRidge

PaintedRidge

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis?   Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 7:10 am

Update On Ridge, I do not want to say it too loud but he is pretty good with the corrective shoeing so far. Light trial riding. Have part of my pasture paradise built for winter. I was wonder you guys are really supportive (thank you) I was wondering is anyone has tried the supplement DMax I think it is call on their arthritic horse. I was just looking for suggesting for feed and supplements for the winter that my help Ridge.

Thanks Ladies
I know there are experts on here, and I would love the advice Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis? - Page 3 368450
Back to top Go down
realalvin1

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis?   Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 11:41 pm

Damn the foul weather!!I bought two, Harrison Howard rain sheet and Weartherbeeta and either are uncomfortable. I need a better one. Is Horseware Ok?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis?   Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can anyone recommend a good Vet for Laminitis?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3