Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise.

Go down 
+3
Barefoot_Horsegirl
imarowdyrebel
Flicka
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Flicka

Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. Empty
PostSubject: Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise.   Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 11:53 am

So all of you barn owners with goats, I'm thinking of getting a goat or two but am not sure of what is needed for their care. My husband would LOVE to get some Myotonic Goat (also known as Fainting Goats), but I'm thinking just some "normal" ones (don't know enough for what bred I want). I would like to be able to turn them out with the horses. I have electric fence for most of my pasture, but plan on running more before Indi gets here to block off where there is a bit of old barb wire.

I have about 2 acres of land that is pastured just for my two horses and I have plenty of overgrowth of grass and weeds. I've given Flicka hay and she still is out eating as much grass as she can.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
imarowdyrebel

imarowdyrebel

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise.   Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 1:06 pm

goats are great escape artists, you will need good electric close together or page wire to keep them in. They can be a huge PITA but can be funny and cute too. There 3 at our barn, 1 has to be shaved like a sheep she is very well behaved for that every spring. They like to get into things and 1 at the barn will rub alot when you are tacking up and is under your feet constantly, and when your riding in the ring he likes to be in the way too.
Back to top Go down
Flicka

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise.   Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 3:26 pm

I have a 4 foot high wire and another at 2 foot, I was thinking if I put one at 1 foot, I would be covered or is that still not enough? If I only have one, would it stay near the horses?
Back to top Go down
imarowdyrebel

imarowdyrebel

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise.   Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 4:34 pm

when I had mine we had 5 hot wire strands to about the 4.5 foot mark spaced evenly apart it took care of the goat and the minis along with my big horses too. and my other paddock was 6 ft chainlink that had to have hot piece close to the ground so she didn't push up on the fence and crawl out Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. 989857
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise.   Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 10:33 am

I've seen your setup now, and unless you wish to wave goodbye to all your pretty flower gardens around the house, I would hold off. I second what iamarowdyrebel says, goats are escape artists. They can fit between a very small opening in electric fence and are so fast they won't even get a shock. I LOVE goats, but since getting rid of our last two after Kerrie died things have been much more peaceful around here. They were always out, ALWAYS. If you setup page wire or 4-5 strands of high tensile wire spaced very close together it might work...MIGHT....but those little buggars can get out of anything. They can easily jump about 4 feet high. Your car and truck parked right near the barn are perfect goat lookouts too....picture goats ON TOP of your car and truck.

I really miss Kerrie. She was the best goat ever and different from any other goat I've ever met. Irreplaceable I'd say. We lost her to bloat last fall. Goat milk is amazing.

Now, if you do decide to go ahead and get a couple (goats are herd animals and should not be kept alone), I personally love the Alpine. Just like horses, you pay for what you get. A well bred, registered, dairy doe of any breed will run you about $250-$400, but the quality in the animal is clearly defined. Go hornless. Get a goat that's friendly. Research CAE. If you get a male goat, make sure he is a 'wether' or neutered, otherwise they really stink and piss on everything.

This site was really helpful when we had goats: http://fiascofarm.com/

I know of a breeder in your area who has Toggenburg's.
Back to top Go down
Hug a Horse Farm

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise.   Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:58 am

GOOD note, BFhorsegirl!

I'm afraid my first response is to say NO WAY! Don't do it!

I used to breed and milk dairy goats and had one as a horse companion years later. Every thing said above is true and then some. Love the little buggers but everyone i know who got them without being fully prepared (knowledge, fencing, goat type shelter, etc) became unhappy and got rid of them.

Good luck. If you read all this and still think you want a goat, then maybe you are the right kind of person to enjoy them Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. 58398
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise.   Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 11:19 am

I had a guard goat once....named Ethel......she fell off a truck and ended up being booted around by the horses in my pasture.....once I rescued her from there and fixed her up she thought she was a dog....she wouldnt let the dogs in the truck till she got in first. would steal your tools when you were working on things, would sit on the garage roof and jump down when vehicles entered the yard and bop the car so they couldnt get out. She would come with us on trail rides and had a half hour mad attack every day just like a cat.......ran up and down the windowledges bounced from couch to chair......up the curtains......I loved her to bits till her horns got too big, she caught me inside my nostril one day and near ripped my nose off.........fortunately I had a neighbour who had goats who thought they were goats...so off she went to be a mummy............cant say I would ever have another especially since I already have a guard donkey............good luck :cowboyhound.gi
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise.   Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 11:45 am

Just for fun. Here is Kerrie loaded in the back of our VW Golf going to get bred:

Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. N525931272_2039787_5300

And her babies Becky & Amanda, they were so cute!
Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. N525931272_2911799_2840073

Hug, do you still have Tummy?
Back to top Go down
Hug a Horse Farm

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise.   Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 12:44 pm

OMG. It's the CUTE factor that gets you into trouble (but I still miss my 'kids' every spring)
Back to top Go down
MSFarm

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise.   Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 1:40 pm

i worked at a place that had lots of goats (pymgy goats) I'd say all horses new to the goats were scared to death of them.
the kids were cute! they can smell some bad though lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.mountainsandranch.webs.com/
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise.   Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 2:05 pm

I'm like horsegirl, loved my goats but after the umpteenth time of someone stopping on the road to tell me they'd escaped again I sold them. I had electric and had to make the bottom strand 6" off the ground to keep them from going under, this meant non stop trying to keep grass/weeds from growing to touch it and grounding it out. They also killed several fruit trees by eating the leaves and rubbing the bark off with their horns. Cute/loveable but hard to confine.
Back to top Go down
Flicka

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise.   Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 2:42 pm

So until I win the lotto and/or get the ability to go and put page fencing or netting or able to run 4 or 5 more strands of electrical while whipper snipping every other day it's not going to work here at my place. Well at least I can tell my SO I looked into it and until he builds them a good pen for them, it's not going to happen.

Well thanks everyone for the thoughts on this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise.   Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking of getting some goats.. Need some advise.
Page 1 of 1