Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MUD FEAVER HELPP

Go down 
+2
amadtatter
Becca
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Becca

Becca

MUD FEAVER HELPP Empty
PostSubject: MUD FEAVER HELPP   MUD FEAVER HELPP Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 11:52 am

Cowboy has been stalked up all week in one of his back legs. I cold hosed before and after some light excersise and it went down, but the next morning it would be back. This weekend both his legs were stocked up and on his left hind he wouldn't even bare weight on it :( My poor man! The BO gave him some bute but him being a picky eater (won't eat any treats besides carrots and apples.. bit of a princess to say the least : / ) smelled it in his PM grain and wouldn't even look at his grain.. sigh.

There is no scabs so that is why I don't want to believe mudd feaver.. But can it be without the scabs? He is out 24/7 and his paddock was discusting (shoveled poop and mudd out of his turnout 10-5 yesterday. it was gross to say the least ) and as of friday started slathering his back legs with baby butt cream to treat the mud feaver (if it is mudd feaver? ) but he is still just as swollen with 3 days of baby butt cream treatment.

Anybody have any ideas of what else it could be or any other treatment options for mudd feaver? Hate seeing my boy in pain :(
Back to top Go down
amadtatter

amadtatter

MUD FEAVER HELPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUD FEAVER HELPP   MUD FEAVER HELPP Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 1:01 pm

I have the EXACT same thing going on with my gelding. Swelling (in both fore and one hind) and some heat, mild tenderness in the hind...no scabs, cracks or redness. Since he has never stocked up before (even with LESS turnout) I was also worried about mud fever as the paddock he lives in is sickening with mud. Consulted with my vet and he says with all the rain and crappy windy weather he thinks the horse is standing alot and is simply stocked up. If it goes down with excersize that is a good indication. Stocking up can start at any time and he says lymphitis is more his concern. He advised me to keep him turned out and moving as much as possible (did alot of handwalking over the weekend), to remove his salt block, and watch for a "stovepipe" appearance to his lower legs...if that happenes to call him back. I do see an improvement since Friday. Have you had your vet out for a look? It sure sounds like what I am experiencing here.
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

MUD FEAVER HELPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUD FEAVER HELPP   MUD FEAVER HELPP Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 6:09 pm

Poor boys :-) Can't help with mud fever advice, ground is so dry here it's crazy...only thing I was thinking, are they being bedded on straw, and if they are, do they eat it? It can cause a horse to stock up.
Back to top Go down
amadtatter

amadtatter

MUD FEAVER HELPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUD FEAVER HELPP   MUD FEAVER HELPP Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:34 pm

no straw at my barn, just an overabundance of MUD...so gross. I wash him from the knees down every night and spray him with ACV and tea tree oil..pick out his feet and hope we manage to avoid it. There is a big improvement since I spoke with my vet on Friday. I just kept him moving as much as possible, removed his salt block (until the swelling goes down completely) and chipped the mud off every evening. Rain and mud totally suck!
Back to top Go down
Becca

Becca

MUD FEAVER HELPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUD FEAVER HELPP   MUD FEAVER HELPP Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 7:20 am

No straw either, and our horses are on 24/7 till winter hits or we get a bad storm. Cowboy was still stocked up yesterday but not as sore on his left hind as he was 2 days ago.. However the BO syringed some bute into him so can't help but think it's the bute making him feel better and not him actually getting better. I am not a fan of giving bute in the first place but atleast he is getting some more comfort..

I am giving him another 2 days to clear up where he isn't standing in the mud anymore where I cleaned his paddock the other day, and if he isn't I'll call the vet and get him down.. : - (
Back to top Go down
Tango

MUD FEAVER HELPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUD FEAVER HELPP   MUD FEAVER HELPP Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:20 am

With our guys there are always scabs so don't have any other advice. Most times a couple applications of MTG clears it right up.

I have my fingers, toes and everything else crossed that we have reduced our mud problem. My wonderful hubby took the tractor and scraped all around the run in, last spring my guys were literally knee deep in places, we have very clay soil, so he scraped down to hardpan. Then we laid some old drain pipe from the inlaws old septic field they replaced last month. Then back filled with some gravel. It is pretty rocky stuff, but hopefully it will settle. So far so good. Even after this last rain they only sink to maybe the coronet band but in gravel not mud. They only get a little muddy going from the edge of the gravel to where their pasture starts to slope up. Last weekend my hubby found an old round bale feeder so he welded and repaired, ground off any sharp edges and slapped a coat of paint on it. I'd like to spread one more load of gravel over top of what we have then put the feeder there. With the foot problems my gelding has, wet feet are really bad for him. Hopefully the gravel won't lead to sand colic or some other problems!! The girls and I take turns going with the wheelbarrow and try to keep the run-in and immediate area more of less cleaned up. I have sawdust in the run in so they have a relatively dry comfy place to have a sleep.

Poor Boomer, he is certainly having his troubles!!

Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

MUD FEAVER HELPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUD FEAVER HELPP   MUD FEAVER HELPP Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:38 am

Interesting read.

I have a question! Is it possible for a horse to be immune to rain rot/mud fever?
Back to top Go down
Becca

Becca

MUD FEAVER HELPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUD FEAVER HELPP   MUD FEAVER HELPP Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 am

Horses with white leg markings are more prone to getting mud fever then horses with no leg markings. Rain Rot can go to any I believe.

There was a horse at the barn for training over the summer and she had rain rot on her neck. I put some baby butt cream on it and it was gone a few days later with hair grown over. I use SUDO CREAM.. grey container red label, works the fastest out of my experience! it is pricey but works fabulous!
Back to top Go down
Tango

MUD FEAVER HELPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUD FEAVER HELPP   MUD FEAVER HELPP Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 11:10 am

My friend ended up needing penicillin to clear up her guys rain rot. Spread all over his back. She had tried MTG but it just kept spreading.
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

MUD FEAVER HELPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUD FEAVER HELPP   MUD FEAVER HELPP Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 11:33 am

Pretty well all the horses where I board have or had rain rot and my girl has never.. even at other boarding stables where they'd all get it mine wouldn't. Strange.

The little app where I board had it bad this summer.. she picked everything off and applied MTG. He still has it but not nearly as bad.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

MUD FEAVER HELPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUD FEAVER HELPP   MUD FEAVER HELPP Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:23 pm

I think rain rot has a lot to do with a weakened immune system.

Beauty is the only horse out of my 4 that gets it. They all live the same, eat the same, etc. She is just ultra sensitive to everything. We have NO mud, so mud isn't the cause. I believe that grass high in sugar and clover is the big culprit around here. The sun plays a role too.

If the horses are out in super deep mud and have no relief from it I'm not surprised that they are stalking up. Can you imagine trying to live in that? Its a disgusting cesspool of manure, urine and bacteria. I've been to a number of boarding barns that have horses out in these conditions, and I'm appalled that boarders put up with this. Would you leave your horse in a stall like that? No? Then why would you turn him outside in filth like that 24/7 and expect him to remain healthy? Horses need hard footing.

I also see a lot of injuries sustained from these conditions from horses trying to get away from their attackers or boss horses and not being able to move quickly enough or trying to move so quickly they injure themselves.

Unless you scrape the main living areas regularly (once or twice a year) with a tractor, its going to get like this. Barn owners need to clean up their pastures. Scrap it down to hard dirt and remove the mud/manure. If they have the money, putting gravel down afterwards is ideal, but not necessary if the cleanup is done once it starts to get deep again. Don't let it get over the coronet band!

I only have 4 horses and have my main living area around the barn scraped once a year. Like I said before, we have no mud. I can't imagine having 10, 20 or more horses on the property and not scraping a couple times a year.

I'm certainly anti stalls, but if the living conditions are so bad that the horse is knee deep in mud, maybe keeping him in is the best solution. Or, hire someone with a tractor to come in and do some cleanup. It took my neighbour less then an hour to scrap and push all the manure around my barn into a big pile (waiting to get it spread now). I'm sure if you and a couple of boarders got together and came up with $100-$150 you could have the turnout all cleaned up in a couple of hours and your horses would be good as new.

Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

MUD FEAVER HELPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUD FEAVER HELPP   MUD FEAVER HELPP Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:53 pm

Totally on board with B_H Here.

I used to board at a facility that was more than ankle deep in mud/poop for weeks.. It always worried me... It was fine during the summer because it was scrapped... but in the spring after 7-8 horses poop in a small paddock it was totally disgusting. and We'd have to wait until the tractor could get in without sinking to scrape it.

My horse can sink up past her knees right now in certain areas of the fields... Its 8-10 acres and the areas where the brook runs is really mucky.. but its mud not horse poop. They know the less mucky ways and you can see their paths. There is several acres that are spotless and they are still grazing. The area up by the barn where the horses stand around is cleaned up regularly with the tractor and in the spring the horses only use about 1 acre of the field.. and that area is scraped when the snow melts.

It just NEEDS to be picked up/scraped.. If a horse pooped in a stall for a few months they'd be knee deep in there as well. Gross. If you keep a horse outside, unless it has a LOT of space your going to end up with a mess unless its cleaned up.

I work at a barn that has an incredible manure management program... she picks up the manure on a daily basis. There is mud after rain storms but they are not standing in their own manure.. The hard part is getting it clean.. I'd advise like having a tractor to the job before winter. Once that's done it is just a matter of sticking to it and depending on the size of the paddock/number of horses it isn't that hard to pick up all the manure. I use an RTV with a dump truck on it.. I shovel 5 horses pooh in it and it takes me about a half hour. (these horses are on 24/7 turnout)
Back to top Go down
Becca

Becca

MUD FEAVER HELPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUD FEAVER HELPP   MUD FEAVER HELPP Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 2:58 pm

Yesterday cowboys legs were gone down allot but still a bit sore, today he was drastically gone down and not sore! ( atleast at the walk, didn't go out and lunge him in the rain haha) yay!
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

MUD FEAVER HELPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUD FEAVER HELPP   MUD FEAVER HELPP Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 5:53 pm

That's great news!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MUD FEAVER HELPP Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUD FEAVER HELPP   MUD FEAVER HELPP Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MUD FEAVER HELPP
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: Keeping and Caring for Horses :: Horse Health - equine health care-
Jump to: