Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Christmas Parade

Go down 
+2
oldladynewhorse
Wil-If-I-Want
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wil-If-I-Want

Christmas Parade Empty
PostSubject: Christmas Parade   Christmas Parade Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 9:07 am

Looking for ideas for the Christmas parade that we are attending this Saturday.

Finders Keepers and I have been working on getting the horses prepared. My mare has been in several parades and has been trailered countless times however the only time her mare has ever been trailered was to move barns and they were usually always terrible experiences.

Another incredibly amazing friend (who just purchased two Gypsy Vanner filles this past weekend -ADORABLE- just had to get that out!) has allowed us to ride over every weekend and practice loading and tying as she has standing stalls (FK's mare didn't tie well as she's trained to "ground tie") I farm sat Friday night and Willow and Flicka slept over - We had her tied in the stall for 2 hours without an issue.

So! After three weekends of gradual process - no pushing, pulling, whipping, yelling. Simply praise, reward and no pressure we've got the big girl loading on to a 2 horse bumper pull. My girl has been self loading and has been super patient while we practiced getting Flicka on. After our 15KM ride Sunday, our friend trailered us home (all of 5 driveways but still, positive experience) and left us the trailer so that we can practice loading in the dark.

SO! back on topic, sorry!

My question is what do you think would look nice for decorations on at the parade? I know we are cutting it close time wise but I've been googling all sorts of things - the majority tacky.

This was our idea:

- Red & Green polos
- Dollar store dog collars (red*white) with bells that slide over their hooves and rest at the top of the polos.
- Crimpy mane & tails (we have braided them alllll up)
- small red sparkly bow on forelock
- A large red bow on their breast collars

There is going to potentially be 12 horse/rider combos. Initially the theme was "reindeer" as one girl is riding in front with a red flashing nose on her mare.... but they have tinsel on the bridles and tie downs made of tinsel as well has reindeer antlers taped to the crown piece of the bridle. We had a meeting but it was not very organized and only 4 people showed up so I would imagine every horse will be dressed differently.

I don't want to be tacky.

She should be pretty curly! Her tail is a 20+ small braids braided into one as well.
Christmas Parade 374755_644612600235_121403323_34580115_1234525535_n
Back to top Go down
oldladynewhorse
Mod
oldladynewhorse

Christmas Parade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Parade   Christmas Parade Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 10:32 am

I think North Stream sells sparkly spray that goes on horses. It may be a bit over the top but...... Also how about Santa hats. We have taped and wired them before on the crown piece. You can also strings bells on your reins. Gosh, I could go on forever!! You can put a big bow on the top of her tail. You can put sparkley bows on different parts of your saddle. Have fun and be careful!!
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

Christmas Parade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Parade   Christmas Parade Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 10:50 am

I don't want to go too overboard with it because I want it too look classy - not too tacky. And I don't want any room for errors ie: stuff half falling off ect.

Im hoping the curls come out okay and then I'll add in a few little braids with bows and french braid the the top of her tail and put bows.

I don't think I'm going to get the paint or glitter only because the parade is at night... if it were during the day I'd have snow flakes or something painted on her. :) We may get those little stick on present things and put those on their bums.

Willow is parade safe.. however rumour has it some of the horses that are participating are well... insaine. If FK and I do not feel comfortable we will separate ourselves.

We've tested out the bells and chased the girls around the indoor and they could care less. They sound so pretty :)
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

Christmas Parade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Parade   Christmas Parade Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 11:55 am

sounds like it will be a heck of a time no matter what you put on them........hope somone takes tons of pix.......have fun, be safe and warm......... :cowboyhound.gi
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

Christmas Parade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Parade   Christmas Parade Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 3:07 pm

I think you have it all covered. Take lots of pics and have fun. Will your boyfriend or someone be on foot walking alongside you guys just in case something was to happen?
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

Christmas Parade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Parade   Christmas Parade Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 11:19 pm

We have a FB group and the list says that there is going to be quite a few walkers. My boyfriend thinks that the parade route is too far of a walk on foot hahaha.

Back to top Go down
Tango

Christmas Parade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Parade   Christmas Parade Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 6:27 am

If you get those little dog collars with bells to put around their feet - sew the bells on. We put them on a mini last year for pony rides and they fell apart after a few steps. Sounded great for a few minutes. Is this the Fredericton Parade? When is it? With all the horses sounds like we may have to try and go :-)
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

Christmas Parade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Parade   Christmas Parade Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 10:28 am

It is the Fredericton parade! Goes from the Naswaksis Middle School to the Brookside Mall @ 5PM (This Saturday)

One girl has organized a bunch of people and were all to meet at the school for 4:00PM

The girls galloped around the indoor arena... Willow had cat collars on her front legs (the bells are smaller than the ones on the dog collars) Flicka's bells pretty well all came off but Willow's stayed on. (Flicka's feet are too large for the cat collars to fit over - they JUST fit over Willows)

FK is going to make sure all the bells are sewn on much better than before and we've borrowed a pair of green polos and FK just purchased the red.

It's snowing out, and although I'm not happy about it.. I'm happy that my horses braids are going to be wet for a while.. and hoping that when I take the braids out she's curly as can be.
Back to top Go down
Loves Color

Loves Color

Christmas Parade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Parade   Christmas Parade Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 10:39 am

If you put some egg white on the braid it will work like mouse. Only thing is this time of year...washing it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Christmas Parade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Parade   Christmas Parade Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Christmas Parade
Page 1 of 1