HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

almost falling over-eeek!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mackdragon

PostSubject: almost falling over-eeek!   Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:47 pm

Went to ride my guy today-I put the saddle on and as always put the cinch just tight enough so he won't lose the saddle from the barn to the indoor.

He scared the beejesus out of me almost falling over in the ties, no balance, front legs going forward, rear legs going back-me yelling at him to stand up, wake up and who knows what else. undo the cinch-catch a breath-barn owner walks in, I explain to her what happened-take him off the cross ties and try again-same thing-move cinch more forward, move it back, move the pad, move the saddle-now he walks funny but not loosing his legs. hmm-take him out to lunge-and he is digging his rear toes in the ground-bring him in-untack-put him in his stall and watch him a bit and right back his normal self. Anyone have any idea whats going on?

I did some ne search and the only thing I could find was claustrophobia (sp?) He is 2.5yrs old and a gelding-qh x paint.
Back to top Go down
Deborah

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Research Wobblers Disease. Toes dragging are usually the first sign.
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
shelly

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:43 pm

This happened with a Quarter Horse mare at a barn where I used to work. One day out of the blue when I tightened her saddle she fell over in the crossties. She continued to react the same way right til the day she passed away. Owner's never determined what was wrong with her. Some days her reaction was slight (knees buckling, stumbling) and some days she fell right over.
Back to top Go down
oldladynewhorse
Mod

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:08 pm

I googled Wobblers Disease and there is a couple of tests you can do @ home. One is the back up test and one is lifting the tail test. I hope you find out when is happening real soon!!

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Scary...hope everything works out ok!
Back to top Go down
Bay-Lee

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:21 pm

whats going on with Mr Blue??.....thats some scary stuff....Mabye have a camera handy next time and try to get some video of it..Mabye he trying really hard to get out of work.. keep us posted Pat!!!!

I went on You tube and searched for wobblers....I found a few videos on how to d a few test...
Back to top Go down
threehorses

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Just wondering if you had thought of HYPP or EPSM.....I have no experience with either, but when you mentioned he is part QH they did come to mind. Probably is neither, but still may be worth looking into just in case. Sure hope it is nothing serious:)
Back to top Go down
mackdragon

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:45 pm

threehorses-epsm makes sense-vet was out a couple months ago and said his muscles were not keeping up with his growing and put him on DEX for pain and we've been battling the runny manures for quite awhile-maybe not tolerating his grains/and rich folage makes a mess too-found a feed which made it better though-low glycemic, but on pasture forget it

Bay lee-you'll have to come show me-the vet did some tests last time-tight turns and walking around with his eyes covered.

Maybe all this was exposing itself earlier but is just a bigger picture now-maybe why he lays down inside or out and cant be bothered to get up-make you wait till he's ready to get up
Back to top Go down
Wil-If-I-Want

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:00 pm

Very scary situation you are in :( you two will be in my thoughts.

I only had this happen 2 times in 14 years.

Once was about 1.5 years ago. I was cinching up a 2yr old paint and he nearly passed out.. legs buckled and he was on his way down but as soon as I loosed it up he caught his breath and was A OK... Never did it again.

Another was after a 20KM trail ride a few months ago with my mare.. she was tripping on the way home and then when I was picked a hoof she her front legs buckled and her front knees smashed to the cement. Never happend again though...

I suppose my old mare would fall into this category.. every time I rode her she fell completely over and I flew like superman across the arena... I never found out exactly why. We'd be all bruised up and bloody...

Sounds like you've got a list of on going symptoms though.. Please keep us updated!
Back to top Go down
threehorses

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:45 am

There is an excellent site with information on EPSM I have bookmarked, as I was suspicious of my boy...I've never had him diagnosed via muscle biopsy, but did alter his diet with positive results.

Hope you don't mind me posting some links in case you are interested in checking them out!

http://www.ruralheritage.com/vet_clinic/index.htm#virtual

http://www.ruralheritage.com/vet_clinic/epsmlookalike.htm

http://www.ruralheritage.com/vet_clinic/epsmdiet.htm

http://www.ruralheritage.com/vet_clinic/epsm_summary.htm
Back to top Go down
threehorses

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:06 am

mackdragon I forgot to include a link to a video at the Horse http://www.thehorse.com/Video.aspx?n=polysaccharide-storage-myopathy&vID=401

You do have to subscribe and log in (no cost) before viewing; it's about 50 minutes in length
Back to top Go down
Becca

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:16 am

Does he have any muscle trembling?? I seen this once in a horse except she would
Have random trembles in her bum her sire was qh so they did a few tests ended up being vitamin E and selenium deficiency. I am interested in reading more into wobblers haven't heard about it in horses but seen it in dogs.
Back to top Go down
rude

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:42 pm

holly shoot..I've just seen this post ..how is he today???..is he showing any signs of weakness?
Back to top Go down
mackdragon

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:58 pm

I am working the next 2 days so am unable to get to the barn-BO was there for the second bout, and she had him trotting up and down the aisle :) I love my BO. I will be going friday probably around 9am-just b4 his grain-try to redo what happened tuesday-

and thanks for the links!!! I love researching! Just not for this stuff-but it must be done and I have to get my ducks in a row to show the vet.
Back to top Go down
mackdragon

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:30 pm

Well he had 2 full days off just out in the field as I was working, went to the barn today, put saddle on and same thing-had his rear legs crossed and his front were spread out bracing-poor guy. Vet is coming Monday morning-I am determined to figure this out!

Forgot to mention-took the saddle off and everything straightens out-except his hard time to canter and being real lazy-
Back to top Go down
Hanover

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:44 pm

This makes me feel sick and sad. I really hope you can get to the bottom of it and that it is something that will have a positive ending.

Sorry........cannot offer anything other than that but just wanted to send "support" to you and your sweet horse.
Back to top Go down
Freva

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:16 pm

What bloodlines does your boy have???? Certain lines of horses are more suspectible to certain disorders. I do think it is very wise to have the vet check everything out. Hope you find answers...best of luck to you and Blue!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/fvpstables
Ellie*Mae

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:53 pm

I had a Standardbred mare that had Wobblers, and she never did that when she was girthed. If you took her tail and pulled it to the side, her back end would sway,she would trip and fall to her knees when ridden. She had also tied up at least once in the 8 years we owned her....sweet girl. It almost sounds as if the cinch is causing the reaction on your horse. I would try a different saddle/girth combination...and I wouldn't put him in cross ties, maybe someone could hold him for you.
Back to top Go down
mackdragon

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:01 pm

My guy if you pull his tail he'll round out his back and grunt like oh boy that felt good! lol. This is just a sudden onset type thing-same saddle and pad since May-but tomorrow we are going to try a rope around his girth, then a surcingle (incase he falls-no saddle damage) and do it all in the arena in soft sand-we'll try another saddle too, just incase-he never had any issues while being ridden-except being the most laziest horse you ever saw! But he could always be moved out with a little encouragement. Until we find more out I don't want to get on him-even if he has no reaction-just can't trust it right now :(

I am worried for him-even if the outcome is he cant be ridden he'll be forever my pasture pet!
Back to top Go down
threehorses

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:07 pm

I was having some problems with my boy when I rode him in the western saddle only....after a lot of searching I finally found a teeny tiny piece of wire that was in the saddle pad which I figured was sticking into him. I could only find it when I pressed hard on the pad~

It wouldn't hurt to try a different saddle and pad, if only to rule it out as a cause.

Sure hope you are able to get an answer on this.
Back to top Go down
mountaincowgirl

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:51 am

I had an appaloosa gelding that did the same thing you are discribing. It only happened occasionally however, not every time, and only upon tightening the girth. Once loosened, he straightened up and was fine.

Once you rule out any possible health related problems. *Fingers crossed for you there* maybe try changing up the way you tighten his saddle. Start in increments and slowly tighten it. That`s what I ended up doing. I made sure that I pulled his front legs out and forward after the first tweak to avoid unnecessary pinching. Sometimes I watched his breathing and got him on an inhale which seemed to help as well, just took longer to get a good tight saddle. I know, pain in the buttercup right? It might give him time to get accustomed to having the saddle tightened. Worth a shot.

It`s scary to watch and I know exactly what you are discribing. It`s like they are going to pass out. Dylan used to stretch right out and almost touch before pulling himself back up. I figured it was an age related thing (he was 24) where I was cutting off his breath or something. I wonder if it could be nerve related as well? Where the girth sits could it pinch a nerve? What kind of girth are you using?
Back to top Go down
mackdragon

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Using a fairly high quality no slip girth-same one he's had for almost a year-and his tacking up routine never changed-just tight enough so the saddle wouldnt fall off-then walk out to the indoor or outdoor-tighten up nice and snug-10mins of lunging-tighten up one final time and then get on and go.

We experimented today and tacked up in the indoor and fine as can be! Pain in the buttercup hauling his tack an extra 300ft though-that should be his job lol.

Vet is still coming Monday-will still test for everything as he is still lazy-he's 2.5 yrs old and should be greased lightening-and his canter is very laboured-throwing his head up to keep the momentum.

Went through his dams papers-no impressive-a little breath of relief although I know hypp can still occur-but interestingly enough he has three bars and man o war down the lines-quite a bit back-but it impressed me :)

**He is not registered as his sire wasn't-only dam
Back to top Go down
Beeze

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:48 am

Sending positive thoughts your way. Very scary situation to be in!

Back to top Go down
mackdragon

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:05 pm

All the vet said was he was probably sore-but isnt anymore but is on guard-and called him a wimp :(
Back to top Go down
willowsfriend

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:08 pm

Gosh, mackdragon, that's not very helpful for you! Must mean that vet is guessing that it's not serious at this time? So not to worry? I find the "unknown" way scarier than dealing with whatever it is I have to deal with. Sending good vibes your way!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: almost falling over-eeek!   

Back to top Go down

almost falling over-eeek!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next