Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

sensitive belly???

Go down 
+2
TripleCRanch
tazzette
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tazzette

tazzette

sensitive belly??? Empty
PostSubject: sensitive belly???   sensitive belly??? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 6:41 pm

Tazz had been on pasture all summer and he had some occasional loose poops (nothing major) and when you'd poke his flanks he'd shy away but that was about it. Now that hes on hay when i just as much as lay my hand right above the stifle he will pin his ears make like to bite at you and swing away. we were riding in the pasture the other day and when i asked for a short canter he took to a few little bucks. when hes feeling good he'll often throw one buck and thats it, as a rule hes not a bucker. but lately hes been seeming really sensitive. hes wormed regular, and he does have a hay belly. we dont think we neeed to call the vet about it, but its been common for quite some time just recently its been worse.

its been fairly on going and he just seems grumpy. hes eating, drinking, doing everything normally, hes willing enough at the walk and trot, and most of the time canter. just wondering if trying probiotics first is a good idea.... or if a change in diet. anything.

thanks in advance

Back to top Go down
TripleCRanch

sensitive belly??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sensitive belly???   sensitive belly??? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 8:23 pm

If it's recently been worse. I would def get a vet to come and do a check up.

Or if you don't want the vet to come out, you can always call them and ask.

The flank is a very sensitive area.

What does he do when you rub your hand over his side..THEN to his stifle.

If you are just out of the blue putting your hand on/above his stifle..then he is going to get a bit upset. He probably thinks something is going to hurt him.

I wouldn't go changing his diet or give probiotics before you confer with a vet.

Just my 2 cents lol!
Back to top Go down
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

sensitive belly??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sensitive belly???   sensitive belly??? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 9:58 pm

I agree with TripleC that you should do a bit more research/consulting before any drastic changes- but, i am very PRO probiotic! I didn't really know much about them, but then for an equine class i did at school, i did a paper on homeopathic methods and did some research on probiotics. this spring, i put all three of my horses on Pur-Yeast which i believe is one of the more common probiotics used. the difference in all of them, is unbelievable. I didn't really believe that a supplement could affect a horses behaviour THAT drastically. one of my geldings, is very touchy. he is fearful, and in turn, defensive. sometimes without meaning to i would trigger this defensive-ness and he has tried to kick me and attack me.. usually this happened because i touched or brushed against his belly or hip or something and he reacted the way you describe your geldings reaction- but a bit more severe. after the yeast, he was a completely different horse. he was calm, and accepting, and much less sensitive. a nutritionist also took a look at him and said he probably had ulcers and the yeast would be beneficial for that as well. (it also eliminates hay bellies!!!!!!)

just my thoughts on probiotics, I personally think they are wonderful, and more people should look into them :) they are good for people, so why not good for horses!!

good luck with Tazz!
Back to top Go down
tazzette

tazzette

sensitive belly??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sensitive belly???   sensitive belly??? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 7:25 am

Thanks. we thought about calling the vet, but it is so off and on we almost feel silly. he is overall a perfectly healthy normal horse who now and then pins his ears when you poke/put pressure on the back of his belly. he occasionally has loose poop, mainly when on pasture, Mom had read something here or on another forum about hay bellies and probiotics.... just can't remember where or the details. Mom has an email in to the vet about the pony - has worms again and we just wormed last month. So she said she'd run it by him when he gets back to her.

Redbaron, where do you get the yeast? Our old mare is on bute for arthritis, we should ask the vet if they would be on any benefit for her where bute can be hard on the stomach and cause ulcers.
Back to top Go down
Becca

Becca

sensitive belly??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sensitive belly???   sensitive belly??? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 7:42 am

There is a product from pureform called curitizone. It's a " bute free bute " it is not harsh on the stomach and no side effects. Allot of the race horse people swear by it.
Back to top Go down
Hug a Horse Farm

sensitive belly??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sensitive belly???   sensitive belly??? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 6:15 pm

what is his current diet?

I used to trim a mare who was known to kick and bite if she was touched to move over or such. Not all the time but often enough to have a bad reputation. The owner chalked it up to her own lack of confidence and the mare being possessive of her stall space.

When she went barefoot and changed her diet to hay, oats, BOSS, kelp diet for a few months, the horse got so pleasant it was a surprise to everyone around her.

Then one day about six months in, I touched her flank as I was getting ready to trim and she snapped hard at my head!! YIKES!

The owner confessed to being unsure about the diet I had recommended and though the mare looked good, she had taken someone's advice and put her horse back on High Fat High fiber about two weeks earlier.

Off HFHF and back to sweet horse again.

Back to top Go down
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

sensitive belly??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sensitive belly???   sensitive belly??? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 10:28 pm

the yeast that I buy is Pur-Yeast. I believe its a Purina product. it comes in a large tub, and it lasts forever. I am just finishing up the tub that i bought in may, and have been feeding it to 2-3 horses since. its only about $25 i think so its very much worth the investment. it definately cant hurt. I even give it to my healthy 3 yr old filly. it also has a calming effect
Back to top Go down
mackdragon

sensitive belly??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sensitive belly???   sensitive belly??? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 10:38 am

My boy was exactly as your explaining this spring. Vet said to try peptobismol-10cc 2x a day, if he got better it was a tummy issue. So we went round and round the bush and finally got it right-probiotics, vitamin mineral supplement. And then I had a boy who was pleasant and happy! But the pepto can rule out tummy ouchies vs. muscle owies. I got my probiotics from the vet school and holy pricey-but it lasts a year---but now I know Purina has it cheaper-guess what I'm buying :)

Forgot to add he also went to training in May which they uped his feed to 2 full scoops a day-he was only getting half scoop once a day-his haybelly disappeared in no time to the point he was scary thin despite the huge amount of feed (only getting worked 20min 5x week)

He was lacking vits and mins.
Back to top Go down
tazzette

tazzette

sensitive belly??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sensitive belly???   sensitive belly??? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 6:48 pm

thanks! all of you. Im going to give all these ideas a thought, and ask our vet about it first. We didn't give him any feed last night (almost out) and he seemed better today. Maybe the high fat high fibre feed doesn't agree with him? He's been good all summer when not on feed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

sensitive belly??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sensitive belly???   sensitive belly??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

sensitive belly???
Page 1 of 1