Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

bedding for foaling

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
imarowdyrebel

imarowdyrebel

bedding for foaling Empty
PostSubject: bedding for foaling   bedding for foaling Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 5:47 pm

I have been watching Marestare lately and have noticed alot of people foaling there horses out on shavings???? I thought that was discouraged. What are your views? I foaled my mare out on straw and will keep her on it for a few weeks. I want to use it up, then I will switch to sawdust (I love how it smells) I find straw alot more time consuming to clean but I love watching my colt fast asleep in it he looks so cozy!
Back to top Go down
Freva

Freva

PostSubject: Re: bedding for foaling   bedding for foaling Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:18 pm

We always have foaled our mares out on straw when they are stalled. My mother would never allow sawdust in a stall with a newborn in case they would inhale particles while lying down. We usually keep straw for a week or two and then switch to shavings.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/fvpstables
imarowdyrebel

imarowdyrebel

PostSubject: Re: bedding for foaling   bedding for foaling Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:51 pm

I was told that while the mare is birthing that shavings or sawdust can work it's way into the birth canal, or stick to the foals naval. I personally intend to keep my colt on straw until I run out I should have enough for a couple more weeks.
Back to top Go down
Freva

Freva

PostSubject: Re: bedding for foaling   bedding for foaling Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 11:02 pm

I can see both situations holding validity. We usually leave the straw in for at least the first week if not longer. I also think of the warmth factor of the straw in colder temps as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/fvpstables
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: bedding for foaling   bedding for foaling Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 9:30 am

We use sawdust/shavings for bedding and as long as it's not dusty it works well even when foaling but if I'm present I usually throw loose hay over top during delivery and for the first couple days still keeping sawdust underneath as it is much more absorbant and easier to keep stall clean I find.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: bedding for foaling   bedding for foaling Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 5:03 pm

I think green grass is the best bedding there is.
Back to top Go down
imarowdyrebel

imarowdyrebel

PostSubject: Re: bedding for foaling   bedding for foaling Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:27 pm

Yes I agree grass is best but not always available :(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bedding for foaling   bedding for foaling Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

bedding for foaling
Page 1 of 1