Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

What would you do?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hug a Horse Farm

PostSubject: What would you do?   Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:15 am

I bought a small aluminum stock trailer five years ago - one where the horse could walk on, turn around and walk off. I wanted to take my old gelding on trail rides with friends. I live in a non-horsy area with a fast, busy road blocking access to the few paths available and though my boy was as road safe as a horse can be, I always rode alone, and at my age that was starting to feel unsafe.
I also wanted to expose my young mare to new places and get support during her training. Again, always home alone on a youngster wasn’t safe.
I learned how to load both horses calmly by myself, how to drive with a full load, how to back and unload, etc. A very y positive experience for me.
The mare learned to load well and got to go to a nearby arena a dozen times. I took the gelding to the beach once (a childhood dream … he hated it because he was alone)
No one followed through with their offers to ride out with me on the trails. And though my mare was lovely to ride most times, she had an unpredictable buck issue which I found out was genetic - same for her full brother and sister (a girth/back problem?), so I decided not to risk my old bones on her. Then I got injured (not horse related) and couldn’t ride for two years. Then the old boy got sick and died last year.
The mare is now ten and a lovely pet who knows a long list of ‘circus tricks’. I enjoy her very much. I bought a two year old pony this spring to be pretty company and maybe, only maybe, to ride someday - if she grows big enough (not looking likely right now).
Yesterday I parked the trailer in the school where I will gradually teach the pony to load.
Then what do I do with the trailer? I haven’t used it in four years. I pay to get it licensed and inspected every year but it sits there reminding me of dreams that didn’t work out. If I sell it I could use the money to support the horses - it's worth at least 6 years of hay. But as I near retirement, I will never afford another one. So it just sits there, steadily aging.
What would you do?
Back to top Go down
tilly

PostSubject: Re: What would you do?   Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:28 am

Keep your trailer and get your pony broke to harness, driving is lots of fun! Then you can use your trailer to go to driving events. don't give up on the dream, when one door closes another opens.
Back to top Go down
Becca

PostSubject: Re: What would you do?   Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:16 pm

What is the genetic problem if you don't mind me asking? Could it be cold back? Cowboy is cold back and i wondered if it was gentics, i know its not his mom's side and i have no information about his dad amd what he was like.. Try lunging her before riding with the saddle on- cowboy would do the same (actually no one could get on him at first before lunged) now I can ride him bareback and he has only ever done something with me once under saddle ( he tripped in a show and got pissed at himself.. Over achiever couldn't handle not doing his best :p )
Back to top Go down
Hug a Horse Farm

PostSubject: Re: What would you do?   Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:52 pm

thanks for the input and encouragment. I can never know the future so I guess I'll hang on to it for a little longer and see what evolves.

Becca, have tried all that and more. All three horse , full siblings, started by different trainers at different ages, all have the same unprdictable reflexive buck. It's not a full of energy, feel good buck - it's a OMG, get OFF NOW buck. There's NO dirt in there,no intent to hurt the rider, they all are very attached to and trust their owners, BUT people have been hurt ... badly ... due to a sortr of sudden panic, which suggests pain for some reason. Reason not known. I blame the dam, sire has thrown many highly ridable offspring.
Back to top Go down
Becca

PostSubject: Re: What would you do?   Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:46 pm

There was one horse here that was like that- except she has the condition where she had both male and female reproductive parts and had to be put down before she got too sick.

I agree about driving! There are allot of videos and helpful people out there. One judge we had here the summer is a driving coach from NS but judges GP (I think her name was gale? ) and gave us lots tips how to introduce them and get started. I was really excited when I almost sold cowboy the first time and bought a mini.
Back to top Go down
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: What would you do?   Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 am

I agree...harness break the pair of them... your mare may be fine in harness... :)

PostSubject: Re: What would you do?   Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:52 pm

Would you consider taking in a border... gives you an intant riding buddy and someone to groom with and do some training...nothing like chatting horse a beautiful sunny day .. I never charged more than $ 100 a month as it wasn't about making money but more like having company and someone to help around the barn .. take in a border put the divider in the trailer and go out for a trail ride !!! :)))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would you do?   

Back to top Go down

What would you do?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: Keeping and Caring for Horses :: Around the Barn- general horse discussions-
Jump to: