Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What do you do with your horses in stormy weather???

Go down 
+2
Sooke
Freva
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Freva

Freva

What do you do with your horses in stormy weather??? Empty
PostSubject: What do you do with your horses in stormy weather???   What do you do with your horses in stormy weather??? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 10:43 pm

We just had a wicked thunder and lightening storm here. We let our horses try to be as natural as possible and we have found that in the event a storm is moving in...they will move to ta hollow in our field..probably the lowest point that they can get to rather than to stand in the run ins. I am thinking this might be a natural built in defense mode that horses have to get to the lowest point away from lightening and the hollow shields them from winds as well. I know a lot of people would rather have their horses safely tucked inside but most of ours are not happy doing that...so this has always worked for us. What do you do...do your horses go in or do you let their natural instincts protect them in bad weather???

What do you do with your horses in stormy weather??? 372702 What do you do with your horses in stormy weather??? 372702 What do you do with your horses in stormy weather??? 372702 What do you do with your horses in stormy weather??? 372702
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/fvpstables
Sooke

Sooke

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your horses in stormy weather???   What do you do with your horses in stormy weather??? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 11:38 pm

like you, I let mine decide...could be why I was always fighting rain rot...not the sharpest knives in the drawers...but that was on the other coast, and didn't have to deal with the cold temps like you do... What do you do with your horses in stormy weather??? 831788
Back to top Go down
Loves Color

Loves Color

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your horses in stormy weather???   What do you do with your horses in stormy weather??? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 12:07 am

This is a great question, I ask myself every storm...am I doing the right thing. I do think if I had lots of room where they could find a place like yours do I would let them decide. Unfortunately, I only have a small turn out area so I tuck mine in their rooms.

And worry until the storm is over.
Back to top Go down
Hanover

Hanover

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your horses in stormy weather???   What do you do with your horses in stormy weather??? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 10:34 pm

Considering the changes in weather patterns lately, this is a good question.

Have to think more about what I could do in my situation but I think I would tend to let "him" find his place on his own.

Not to change the subject but I sometimes think about forest fire as well. I don't have a trailer and if a fire ever got started around here, it would just go straight through. Has anyone every experienced this particular emergency?
Back to top Go down
Loves Color

Loves Color

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your horses in stormy weather???   What do you do with your horses in stormy weather??? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 3:17 pm

A few years ago we had a forest fire about a 1/4 of a mile behind our house. At the time we had a two year old that had never been on the trailer and our trailer was out of commission. By the time I borrowed a trailer and tried to put him on there was no way. Between the smoke and never having been on a trailer I couldn't get him anywhere near it. Our daughter was very young at the time so we didn't feel comfortable staying at the house with her because if the wind changed direction it could have been bad for us. So regrettably, we left him home in the barn with our neighbors (family) watching over things. Our directions to them was if the wind changed directions to let the horses out and close the barn so they couldn't get back in. I am not sure if this was the best decision; but, we didn't know what else to do. Thankfully for us the wind didn't change direction and all was fine at our place.
Back to top Go down
charlo

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your horses in stormy weather???   What do you do with your horses in stormy weather??? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 4:13 pm

Loves Color...I think you did the best you could in that situation. I think if I was you the only other thing I would of done was either put ID on halters or grease marker/spay painted my information on them.

Bad weather mine come in the barn. I have two seniors, that can't handle temperature/weather changes. Plus in heavy gross rains I don't want them mucking up their pastures...they (pastures) are still fairly new and can get chewed up quickly.

As to forest fires, I do have a trailer, it is a stock trailer so IF i had to I could get all 5 of mine on it if we had to get out fast. They all load, some even self load as well.

As to other natural disasters like a tornado a direct hit would take out the barn, but it would also take out the pastures. My barn was built to withstand higher winds so I take my chances with them in I think it would be safer for them.
Back to top Go down
realalvin1

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your horses in stormy weather???   What do you do with your horses in stormy weather??? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 11:26 pm

Fly mask is really necessary to protect our little boy from fly. Choose the best one is important .Who can tell me which brand is better,Weatherbeeta,Harrison Howard, or Native Pony?I really need some suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your horses in stormy weather???   What do you do with your horses in stormy weather??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you do with your horses in stormy weather???
Page 1 of 1