Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Schooling Blues

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Becca

Becca

Schooling Blues Empty
PostSubject: Schooling Blues   Schooling Blues Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 2:45 pm

Velvet is one of a kind for sure.. sweetest mare I've ever come by with a heart made of gold that she'll try her heart out for you with all her might.. I'm pretty sure I'm head over heels in love with this mare.. i adore her.

lately I've been getting well.. bored with schooling (even though I'm VERY grateful i have an indoor to school in threw the winter don't get me wrong..). her walk /trot is really solid, and her canter is coming along GREAT (gets her leads 99% of the time, circles, and giving at the bit I'm very pleased!) but her owner doesn't want her canter to get "over done".. only allowed to canter her once or twice a week out of the 6 days of schooling we do. she knows her turn on haunch & forhand, leg yields, side passes, walk pirouettes, I've done poles with her & pole courses, spirals, circles, serpentines, EVERYTHING i can think of on the flat.. but I'm getting bored, and I'm afraid its going to start wearing off on my horse and i want to keep her as interested as possible keeping the learning process fun for her.

i would love to take her on a trail, but we have NONE around my barn (stupid housing and development.. :evil: ) without going on the roads for 20 or so minutes, and her owner doesn't want her on the roads at all so no dice for a good trail ride..

we have a marylew clinic & Andy clinic coming up April 22ND weekend & may 3rd weekend, plus a western show weekend after the Andy clinic, then a dressage show weekend after that.. and i want to get her as ready as possible for everything of coarse, but again.. it almost feels like a chore wanting to ride these days.. gosh boredom sucks!

anyone else get the schooling blues? any suggestions on any fun schooling exercises to perk us up??
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

Schooling Blues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schooling Blues   Schooling Blues Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 3:09 pm

We work on bending and flexing endlessly especially at slow speeds but it can get repetitive...

What about ending your sessions with some fun stuff??

Maybe swinging a rope over her head - trying to rope some pylons? Carrying a bucket of water? walking over a bridge? trotting poles? riding without stirrups? going over a tarp? dragging a tarp?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
RobinsKelticBuckaroo

RobinsKelticBuckaroo

Schooling Blues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schooling Blues   Schooling Blues Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 5:20 pm

i was actually feeling the same way last night! i think tonight i might set up some trail course stuff, gate, backthru L, side pass poles, carry over, tarp etc.
Back to top Go down
hopeful_farm

hopeful_farm

Schooling Blues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schooling Blues   Schooling Blues Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 7:28 pm

ditto on the bombproofing fun stuff....put different objects in the ring when you are schooling.... you should see all the horses/ ponies react when something changes from the "norm" something as simple as different coloured barrel, a blanket over it, cones with tennis balls on top... the tarp is a great idea
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Schooling Blues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schooling Blues   Schooling Blues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Schooling Blues
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: Keeping and Caring for Horses :: Around the Barn- general horse discussions-
Jump to: