Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favourite exercises

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Twilight

Favourite exercises Empty
PostSubject: Favourite exercises   Favourite exercises Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 7:44 am

What little tricks and exercises do you like to use for getting your horses ready for show season?
I have a cute little gelding I bought to play Western with, but he really does have more the Englsih movement, and, well, I do so love riding English, that our first few shows may well feature an English saddle.....
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Favourite exercises   Favourite exercises Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 8:03 am

hey there........welcome aboard. :cheers:
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: Favourite exercises   Favourite exercises Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 7:58 pm

what kind of exercises are you looking for? On the flat I love to work on lateral and flexion work I do lots of leg yeilds and turn on the forehand. I also like to do lots of circle work and transitions.

For jumping I like to do single fences at first and then do two or three to work on pace and striding.

I like to mix things up alot and do all kinds of weird things randomly cause my horse gets board easily.
Back to top Go down
Twilight

PostSubject: Re: Favourite exercises   Favourite exercises Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 8:11 pm

I guess I'm looking at specifics, like the canter 20 strides, trot 10 sort of ones, or the Kyra Kyrkland suggested riding a square rather than a circle......specific moves as it were for improving my greenie.
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: Favourite exercises   Favourite exercises Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 8:13 pm

lots and lots of transitions and lots of flexion exercises there are great books call 101 school exercises jumping ect I don't remember who wrote them but you can learn alot.
Back to top Go down
Total Eclipse

Total Eclipse

PostSubject: Re: Favourite exercises   Favourite exercises Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 10:25 pm

All I can advise is that every horse is different and requires different exercises. Some tricks work on some horses and don't work on others.
But I agree with NBN transitions, transitions! :)

I am all for lateral work as well, shoulder in, shoulder fore... love doing walk pirouettes, though they are still in the learning process for the po :D Turn on the forehand, turn on the haunches.
Back to top Go down
Jolie

Jolie

PostSubject: Re: Favourite exercises   Favourite exercises Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 3:11 pm

I also am a fan of the 101 arena exercises and 101 jumping exercises, we had them hooked on the side of the arena at the last place I rode and I use to always go to them and think of some new ones...although I do like some more than others and alot of them have most of the basics in common, but the good thing about them are the diagrams :)

Some typical ones involve
- doing transitions every couple of strides or changing positions every couple of strides
- Set up poles so that they create an "aisle" on the straight lines for surpentines - good way of knowing if you are travelling straight..Also can do 10m cicles on the end portions of the surpentines.
- Setting up poles on a circle so that they create a 'fan' this helps for consistency of trot and will show if you are no travelling correctly as will start out okay and then if you drift to the inside or outside will pump the poles.
- Do 10m circle and then do figure eight and then end the figure eight on the centre line go up to X and then do 10m circle to right and then left...go up to the end of the ring (sorry can't remember letters) and do 10m to the right and 10m to the left..
- Just set up two poles on the ground - I never 'measure it out' and the first couple of times just see where my horses comfortable strides are...then try to add a stride and take one away. (normally it is a canter five stride and I take one out to be four and add one in to be six).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite exercises   Favourite exercises Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favourite exercises
Page 1 of 1