Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Beginners Handbook...

Go down 
+7
hanoverian-chick
just joan
Purple Chaps
Wissy
~TC~
hopeful_farm
D-Cutch
11 posters
AuthorMessage
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

A Beginners Handbook... Empty
PostSubject: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 5:18 pm

I thought it might be fun to kind of compile a "Beginner's Handbook"

My SIL is really new to horses and unfortunately doesn't take to well to mine or Glenn's suggestions... anyhoo we don't know everything and certainly don't claim to - horses are yet another one of those things where the learning curve is a lifetime...

I thought it would be kind of neat if everyone chipped in a "thought" or two - just a comment/precuation/word to the wise that they'd pass along to a newbie. Maybe something you wish you'd been told when you first started out, or something you were told and it helped you immensly...

I think being "horse folk" we all kind of forget some of the very very basics that may not be common sense to someone very new to the equine scene...

Don't run home....NEVER run home or to the gate, horses are smart and they will take advantage of you no matter how quiet and kind they are.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
hopeful_farm

hopeful_farm

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 5:37 pm

Never let a horse look for treats in your pocket (like you see on TV)...it hurts when they bite and it is expensive when they pull the pockets off your clothes! :affraid:
Back to top Go down
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 7:07 pm

Remember horses are a PREY animals not a predator like dogs and cats and us...therefore they respond differently to what you may be wanting and expecting of them...

Also, horses do not voice pain vocally, they do it in their actions...so just because they not yelp, doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 8:10 pm

never ever tie your horse to anything that will break or tie it a knot, safety knot only..
once I tied my pony to a little teeny tree.. and I tied her good.. then took the hose to her to bath.. hahah.. the tree bent right over and pony was standing on her hind legs.. with all the white showing in her great big round eyes.. lol
Thank god someone with some sense rescued us.. :)
Back to top Go down
Purple Chaps

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 11:19 pm

Regardless of what you think you know, you will never know everything about horses. If you're paying enough attention you will learn something new almost daily.
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 7:22 am

I totally agree PC.. everyday is like a new day with horses.. just when you think you got it .. they come up with something else to teach you..
Back to top Go down
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 7:56 am

Expanding on what Wissy said...

Don't tie a horse below it's withers...should be wither height or a bit higher...
If too low, and they pull back, it can damage their neck, and or back....
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 8:07 am

never think that because he/she is now blind that their life is over and they should be put to sleep............not true!
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 8:09 am

never give 4 boy scouts a hoof pick each and only one horse!!!!
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 8:10 am

always remember that if your horse is playing and splashing in the water and you are in the saddle.......have an EXIT plan ready.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 8:13 am

always remember, your new horse is NOT LIKE YOUR HARLEY........you cant just kick start it, rev the throttle and put your feet up on the highway pegs!!
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 8:14 am

try to remember to keep a sense of humour after you have been bucked off for the first time............jump up and with a flourish ...yell TAH DAH!!!!! it will look like you planned it.!!!!!
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 8:16 am

always remember to let your blind horse draw a map with his front feet before getting up the ramp to the trailer.
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 8:33 am

Quote :
never give 4 boy scouts a hoof pick each and only one horse!!!!

lol! lol! The visual of that one is just far too amusing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
hanoverian-chick

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 7:02 pm

Let's see...here's a few I never realized starting out in horses... until someone educated me, and I'm glad they did!

• Don't ever leave an all nylon or rope halter on your horse unattended. The crown piece should always be leather if you're leaving it on them- an all nylon halter is strong enough to pick up a car and will not break unlike leather, and it's a recipe for a huge vet bill or disaster if the horse gets caught on something.

• If you're using a lead line with a chain, make sure to loop it through the halter however you choose (either over the nose, or under the chin) but never use it "like a normal lead line", ie just clipped to the halter. If your horse flips their head back for any reason, the rest of the long chain flips back hard too, and can do major damage to you or your horse's face.

• Never leave the throatlatch of your halter undone while grooming. I know someone whose horse almost lost an eye after shaking his head- the throatlatch clip hit his eye. If you must leave it undone, just clip that clip to the ring under the chin- that way it's out of the way and can't do any damage!
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 7:55 am

- never wrap a lead rope around your hand (or any other part of your body)

- always make sure all the baling twine is removed from your hay before you feed. I just learned this one this morning (the hard way of course) after I fed the morning hay and I heard Reo gagging. There was about 2 feet of twine hanging out of his mouth - you can guess where the other 3 feet were! I had to gently pull it out (not a pretty sight!)

- when leading a horse always make sure they are beside you and not following behind. If they spook their natural reaction is to flee, and guess who would be in their way? I learned this one when a NL pony touched some electric fence while I was leading him and he bolted - right through me. I landed face first in a mud puddle and had a lovely hoof print on my hip bone for many weeks. Not good!
Back to top Go down
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 8:36 am

when riding in a ring, never get off the saddle at the same place, because the horse will want to go there all the time..

always feed treats on the ground, so horses dont mistake your fingers for carrots..

never feed freshly cut grass to a horse because the second its cut, it has started to formante ( is that the right word in english)..

don't let your horse push, because he will eventually shove...
Back to top Go down
CanChaser_547

CanChaser_547

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 3:59 pm

The only horse you can trust is a dead one! lol!
- SO Ture!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.redstarperformancehorses.com
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 5:34 pm

hmmmm...having done everything you are not supposed to do at least once....it's not really advice, more of a truism....

your horse will make a liar out of you, each and every time every time...just go ahead and brag on something about your horse....I dare you LOL
All kidding side, I ditto what PC said - know matter what you think you know - you don't!

there is some really good advice here.... :flower:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Beginners Handbook...   A Beginners Handbook... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Beginners Handbook...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: Keeping and Caring for Horses :: Around the Barn- general horse discussions-
Jump to: