Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

Run in shelters

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mypony

PostSubject: Run in shelters   Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:12 pm

So I am getting ready to build a run-in for my boyz. We are thinking of building something around 18ftx25ft. Originally we thought that we wanted rafters, but when I priced them around $800-$1000, we decided to go with a slanted roof.

What size of run in do you have?

What do you have for the flooring? We are going to put gravel of some sort.

Any advise you might have on building a run in would be great.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Wobec

PostSubject: Re: Run in shelters   Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:32 pm

I have a run it, how many horses do you have, this will define the size of your run it, mine is a slant coming off of my barn, sand with straw in the winter time, love it, I have 4 horses but they will not all share it, not sure on the size I will quess 16ft long and 6ft deep but one horse always left out, she is lowest in the herd, if I had the money I would of built it longer.
Back to top Go down
mypony

PostSubject: Re: Run in shelters   Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:01 pm

I have three horses right now, and every once and a while my friend's mare.
Back to top Go down
Dun Tru

PostSubject: Re: Run in shelters   Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:38 pm

We put in a run-in last year, it is 12x24. Make sure your support posts are BIG the largest we could get around here were the 6x6, pressure treated. We had 6 of those, each was burried about 3 feet in the ground, then we had two smaller support posts in the back to help when putting on the back wall. I think with all the lumber, nails, and screws we were between $500-1000. We got the metal siding for free because Andrew helped out a friend of his take down a steel sided building on a job site, so we got the "spoils". Plus we did all the labor ourselves. We haven't putt anything on the floor yet, we wanted the hroses to pack down the area, which they are doing nicely now and plan on putting in gravel this fall and will probably bed it with straw (if we can find some this winter).

Mod

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Run in shelters   Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:42 am

our run in is the last two stalls and alleyway from the barn..........took down the stall walls..............we packed the floor with gravel tailings and made it nice and solid......in the summer, nothing is added on the floor, but winter we put in shavings......last winter there were 4 horses here..........the run in was 12x30.......they could all get in, however thats not how it went, one would keep out the other three............so I would suggest more than one door so someone doesnt hog the whole place to themselves. with 2 its perfect, it was only meant for 2 in the first place, but can and did work for more.(with some work)

PostSubject: Re: Run in shelters   Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:32 pm

My run-in is 16x20 and I have 5 horses. Here is an ugly winter pic:

Originally we kept the big door in the middle closed but we haved one horse who hogs the whole building so we've now removed the plywood and built a divider fence in the middle of the building. So now that one horse (the smallest) has a whole side to himself and the 4 other horses crowd together in one side, LOL. I would install more then one door if I were you. I had a shale pad built prior to building, I think it was around $600. They cleared the topsoil, brought in many loads of shale and then put a top layer of finer gravel which was packed down with a slammer. The floor gets moist at times but generally it stays as hard as cement and is really easy to keep clean. I never use bedding in the runin because they don't lay down inside, everyone sleeps outside. With the pad, board and baton on the outside, wiring and the roof I think it was around $3000.
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: Run in shelters   Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:19 pm

My run-in is attached to my barn. It was an open area (about 24 x 20) but mt guys don't know how to share so I put up seperation walls about 5' high to split it into 3 "stalls". Now that they've figured out their herd, I've removed one of the walls. George still needs his own space but Dex, Prince and Hubba cuddle up in the other 2/3's.

The floor is packed crusher dust and I haven't used any bedding for the last 2 winters (maybe some soiled hay for warmth on really cold nights) but the floor is now uneven in spots where they routinely stand or poop (I always scoop up some of the rock when picking the poop, can't be avoided since it sticks to it). I'm thinking about putting some rubber mats in those spots or using sawdust.
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: Run in shelters   Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:29 am

We laid shale for the floor of ours because island topsoil is far too squishy when spring/fall comes and it just makes a big bog... We sunk our posts 5 feet to make sure we got below the frost line...we also used 6x6 pressure treated - horses when they get itchy can put alot of pressure on posts...We made sure to wrap our posts with heavy plastic on the bottoms so that the posts will move easily if they heave...

As for sides we just went with steel - steel price isn't bad right now (alot better than it was a year ago) so isn't a completely unreasonable way to go at the moment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Run in shelters   

Back to top Go down

Run in shelters
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1