Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Barn Floor

Go down 
+5
Wissy
Tammy
whats up doc
Simi
D-Cutch
9 posters
AuthorMessage
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 3:35 pm

Clay Floor vs Cement Floor ????

What's your preference? why?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
Simi
Mod
Simi

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 3:49 pm

We have concrete floors that are doubled matted we tried the way with mats but the rats dug it up and there was a mess everyday..
Back to top Go down
http://www.maritime-equestrians.com
whats up doc

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 3:50 pm

I would advise concrete with rubber matts
some horses tend to paw and make one heck of a mess!!!
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 7:39 pm

We have concrete and wall to wall mats in the stalls. The centre aisle has mats too. I like the concrete because we can pressure wash the stalls in the summer to give them a thorough cleaning.
Back to top Go down

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 8:07 pm

I am building in the spring and it's going to be concrete with rubber matting and a drain in the middle of each stall so that I can haul up the mats and hose everything for cleaning... I hate dirt floors, we have two stalls in the barn now that are dirt and I hate them, they are hard to keep dry etc. But the rest of the barn is concrete with wood on them. It's alright for the straight stalls, box though I like rubber matting.

Just my preference..
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 9:44 pm

Sherry's new barn has concrete all around the perimeter with a lot of large stone in the center.. and it's deep for drainage.. then she will lay her wood floor over across the gravel to the cement sides .. I think it's a great idea.. wood floors may have to be replaced over time but I like them and they are easier to clean
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 9:46 pm

I don't have a barn so I don't know what i would choose

BUT ..... OT Zoey whats this about moving and building a barn when did this happen???
Back to top Go down

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 10:57 pm

Ha, NBN, I didn't say a lot, but since my boyfriend just sold his place which we've been trying to do, I'll be moving to Sussex probably in April.. Our property is already for the barn to go up and the septic/well etc to be put in and for me to move my mini home.. So guess it's gonna happen this spring, we had hoped this fall but we just sold his place and well I am not gonna be building a barn in the snow.. So we'll have everything ready to go this spring... I CAN'T WAIT!
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 11:32 pm

congrads Zoey on your move.. I bet your excited.. good for you.. you deserve it.. been a long road for you and now you can see the light.. I'm excited for you too..
Back to top Go down
Tie

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 12:10 pm

We have concrete floors in our barn and the stalls have drains in the middle of them - the floor can't of slants a bit toward the centre - we haul up the rubber mats periodically throughout the year and take a horse and wash them down - very easy.

My other barn had a dirt floor and I absolutely hated it.
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 1:13 pm

Zoey thats awesome congrats. I didn't know you had your own place already for some reason I thought you lived with your parents still. Are you going to travel to your work everyday still or get a new job.
Back to top Go down
charlo

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 1:37 pm

Like Zoey I'm building a barn in the spring. It will be concrete with mats and drains in each stall.
Back to top Go down
Tie

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 1:54 pm

I don't know what I was thinking of when I wrote my response but it should have said the floors in the stalls slant towards the drain in the middle some. I can't type today for some reason.
Back to top Go down

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 11:07 pm

Yah and TIE you don't HORSE THEM OUT either! hahahahaha Sorry couldn't help it. I laughed.

NBN yeppers I live next door! ha.. But dad, meg and I all wshare a barn that's why it's so full! ha
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 9:10 am

OH ic ic... See you this weekend ;)
Back to top Go down
Tie

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 11:41 am

Horse them out - oh my heavens - obviously my head was elsewhere. :)
Back to top Go down
LittleRoam

LittleRoam

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 11:15 pm

i cannot believe i had this all typed and hit a wrong button and deleted it all....swear words insert here!

in my first small barn i had gravel floors. barn built on a grassy hillside...good drainage...rock and tiny gravel on top which packed down (tiny rock--crusher dust??). i used shavings for bedding and it worked beautifully. it drained, and was not a slippery surface if they ever did make contact with it which they didn't as i bed deeply. there did become a small dip in one stall because i would deep clean a little too low and take out some gravel...but all you need to do is keep a small pile on hand to fill that in. I LOVED that floor.

my second barn has wood floors.. hate them. in my current set up i don't know that gravel floors would have worked as the barn doesn't have great drainage as my first place. Wood floors are slippery as a skating rink (i've found)... despite good cleaning and lots of bedding. bought rubber mats--expensive, heavy, brutal to move to clean the stall properly, urine gets underneath and rots the floors. mats, in my opinion, are for barn floors that are not working properly in the first place! i basically just leave the mats down and rarely air the floor as they are so heavy!

if you choose concrete--buy the mats and bed DEEPLY with bedding!

if i built again on the right "land"...i would go with dirt/gravel stall AND aisle floors for sure. NO SLIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also--those thinner "mats" you can get (like in skating rinks)...they are very very slippery when wet--so don't rely on those either.

have fun! : )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Barn Floor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barn Floor   Barn Floor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Barn Floor
Page 1 of 1