Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pregnant Mare Question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

Pregnant Mare Question Empty
PostSubject: Pregnant Mare Question   Pregnant Mare Question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 7:17 am

We have a mare here that came from Illinois (a bit warmer climat there but they still get snow and freezing temperatures) she was bred when she came and due around the 15th of April...

It took her a little longer than our "Canadian" horses to winter coat up but when she did she got a really nice thick coat...

She is losing her hair in handful... like I could brush her completely bald if I wanted to like one of those naked cats. I can actually go anywhere on her body and just pluck the hair out roots and all. She isn't lousy, eatting grain/haylage, was running in and out up until about a week ago... can't think of anything out of the ordinary that would cause this.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant Mare Question   Pregnant Mare Question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 7:20 am

D.. I don't know but if you could see what we are taking out of Gunnar .. by handfuls.. really we can get enough hair in one brushing to make a good coat for a med to large dog... it's crazy.. no one else in the barn is shedding like him and he started first too.. !!!
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant Mare Question   Pregnant Mare Question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 7:27 am

D old Abbey is the same......she is the only one that grows really long hair and it comes out in clumps.....first time I saw it I freaked.....it comes out right down to her summer coat......if there was a zipper she would be ready........its just the way it come off..........my back ring was thick in her hair yesterday when I was taking the shedding blade to her.
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant Mare Question   Pregnant Mare Question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 7:59 am

Shelby's winter coat used to do that too. Especially under her belly and the lower parts of her legs. I figured she had some sort of weird disease and was going to end up bald. I think it's "normal" (whatever that is!). Just in case though you may want to save the hair and start knitting in case she needs a coat afterall!
Back to top Go down
Ride em

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant Mare Question   Pregnant Mare Question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 8:43 am

Our pregnant mares and stallion shed like mad earlier than the others. I think it has to do with hormones, but I don't know that for sure.
Back to top Go down
http://highmeadowqhs.tripod.com
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant Mare Question   Pregnant Mare Question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 10:19 am

Well you have all eased my mind a bit... I am very accustom to horses sheading in handfuls but she is losing all her hair... she is bald under the winter hair that comes out. I hope her summer coat starts growing in a hurry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant Mare Question   Pregnant Mare Question Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 2:08 am

D all our preggy mares do this not long before foaling and then once they fall they have the most awesome coats... Like Ride'em said, it's a hormone thing.
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant Mare Question   Pregnant Mare Question Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 6:49 am

Well I'm glad to hear that....I know our ponies and the Canadian mare have never done it before so it made me a bit worried. She looks hilarious at the moment - I should actually take a picture of her because she has dark patches everywhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant Mare Question   Pregnant Mare Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pregnant Mare Question
Page 1 of 1