Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....

Go down 
+3
Lightning
Freva
jamel105
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jamel105

How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... Empty
PostSubject: How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....   How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 10:14 pm

How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with horses? Just wondering as it was 10 years ago since I owned a horse and my last horse was a standard bred who we had as a race horse.Now I am wanting to get into riding and my goal is to get a fjord someday in the near future after lessons. some days I wonder if I am to old to learn this or if it is unrealistic.
Mel
Back to top Go down
Freva

Freva

PostSubject: Re: How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....   How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 10:55 pm

Mel, if you have the love and desire to reaquaint yourself to horses, you're never too old. The lessons would be a great way to ease back into horses plus a way to get to know people with the same interest. I think the Fjord would be a great breed for you. We recently got a couple of Fjord fillies and they are super sweet and very mellow. I have been lucky enough to always have had horses. My mare, Charm and I have been together for over 33 years.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/fvpstables
jamel105

PostSubject: Re: How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....   How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:08 pm

Hey Freva!! Yes you are correct. Just everyone at the stables here are so young and well experienced and here a 28 year old is just getting back into it.
Where did you get your Fjords from?? I thought with my weight and such a Fjord would be perfect for me.I love their personalities.

Mel
Back to top Go down
Freva

Freva

PostSubject: Re: How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....   How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:17 pm

We got our Fjords from D-Cutch. She is patiently awaiting a new Fjord foal anyday now. Plus, my grandfather always said age is mainly a state of mind....do what is right for you. We continue to learn new things all through life...you're never to old to learn.......PS...wish I was 28 again!!! lol
Back to top Go down
jamel105

PostSubject: Re: How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....   How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:24 pm

Thanks Freva! D-Clutch is located where? Ya it is in my blood that is for sure!

Edited to add: Some pretty horses in your pic there Freva!!

Last edited by jamel105 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add something)
Back to top Go down
Freva

Freva

PostSubject: Re: How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....   How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:26 pm

D-Cutch is on PEI, near Charlottetown. She has the moms of our fillies.
Back to top Go down
Freva

Freva

PostSubject: Re: How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....   How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:28 pm

Thank you, Mel. We have Quarter Horses and Paints as well as the Fjords. If you would like you can check out our website. It is on the Website Page under FVP Stables...more pics on there.
Back to top Go down
jamel105

PostSubject: Re: How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....   How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:31 pm

Thanks I will check your site out.Does D-Cutch have a website as well?
Mel
Back to top Go down
Freva

Freva

PostSubject: Re: How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....   How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:33 pm

Yes, you will find it there as well....PPH.
Back to top Go down
Lightning
Mod
Lightning

PostSubject: Re: How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....   How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 7:38 am

I saw my first horse in Germany when I was about 5 years old. I've wanted one ever since. I was lucky enough that at age 13 we moved out to the country, Nictaux, and lived in between 2 horse owners. I hung out at their barns a lot. When I was 15, I was babysitting for a couple that owned a Quarter Horse. I rode Red all around Nictaux until we moved to Greenwood PMQ's at 18. My parents would not buy me a horse because they feared I would not stick with it. I got married at 19 and bought my first horse at 20. I'll be 50 this year and guess what, I stuck with it!!! I own 2 geldings, Dylan, my reg Pinto I've owned since he was born. He was out of my 1/2 Arabian mare Lightning. Audi I've owned for 4 years, he is 7 now. He's a reg 1/2 Arabian.
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....   How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am

I was horseless after my second year of university - I held out as long as I possibly could but eventually finances made me sell him. It was 5 years before I had a place of my own and was able to buy another horse. Even that was a on a whim though. My barn was just finished being built and I really didn't have plans to get a horse right away, the barn was for hay and machinery. I was working in the valley that day though and heard and ad on the local radio "trading post" for an older QH gelding. I drove back that evening and saw him and bought him on the spot. I knew he would be a good calm horse for me to start over again with and I felt that his living conditions were pretty poor where he was so I took him right away. When I got him home he had to stand outside the barn that night and munch on hay while his stall was built lol! I am so glad I made that decision to buy him though, he turned out to be my best horse ever.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....   How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 12:40 pm

I was always a horse crazy kid but never owned one until I had left the nest. When I was 21 I leased a mare and then bought her. Unfortunately life's circumstances got in the way and I had to find her a new home a few years later. I was heartbroken and didn't have any involvement in the horse world for 19 years. At the age of 41 (yes, 41!) I registered my 3 yr old daughter for lessons. She was my way back into the sport. I'd watch her and drool. Then I started riding one of the school horses at the same time that Kayla had her lesson. Eventually we leased a NL pony (again for Kayla) How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... 368450 and he was "conveniently" big enough for me to ride too. Turned out he was a devil pony so we ended the lease after 6 months. Then Santa brought a pony for Kayla. He wasn't big enough for me to ride but he could pull a cart so I tried my hand at that. Eventually I went out and bought a horse for myself. Wasn't the right one for me. I resold her and lucked into buying Stretch. The rest, they say, is history. I've just started taking the occasional lesson but my true love is just hanging out with the horses, brushing and just goofing around. Trust me, it's NEVER too late to start. Set your goal and then GO FOR IT! Horses are timeless ...
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....   How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Well, I have been into horses since I was 9 now 26. My mom had a horse when she was younger and decided to put me in lessons when I was 9. I was hooked for the first time went out for my first ride on april 1st took another lesson april 2nd and entered my first show on april 3rd lol. I tied for 6th place with my best friend. We rode together at windgate for a couple years then my mom and step dad decided to move to Porters Lake. This was my chance I told my mom I wasn't moving with her I was going to live with my grandparents until my mom bribed me by saying she would buy me a horses. We lived there for about a year and I ended up meeting so people in the area threw horse shows and ended up taking care of the best horse my friend 16hh flea bitten gray gelding he was amazing I loved him to death even though he was lame the whole time I took care of him and ended up only getting to ride him once in the whole year but I didn't care I went to the barn and brushed and played with that horse every day. Unfortunately in late spring of the same year he was put to rest. This started the pony shopping after I leased a horse name Kat for awhile. We ended up finding my horse Megan in the news paper I had her for 5 years she was an amazing horse I did everything with her I evented her in starter and pretraining and won my divisions in both I could hack her anywhere gallop along the beach to riding down the street with no saddle and just a lead line attached to her halter jumping ditches and galloping on the side of the rd. She was a smaller horse 14.3hh and I felt was too small to do the higher level eventing that I wanted to do so I went on the hunt for a new horse and ended up finding my boy Target he's a 16hh Paint. I ended up leasing Megan to a great girl who now has her (how they ended up having her is not so great :P ) So I now have my paint boy who was suppose to be my higher level eventer well I guess he didn't get the memo as he has no guts when you put a puddle in front of him and is much happier loping around at a slow smooth steady gate. I showed him in some hunter stuff but ended up switching to western with him I am now going to be barrel racing him.

Anyway that was long winded but I never got out of horses I rode all threw university (although I don't think student loans are suppose to support your horse habit but oh well )
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....   How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 7:56 am

I started out when I was about 13, rode a friends horse nearly every wkend for a year or so.. took a few lessons at Windgate in Windsor Jct NS.. thinking most of my friends also started out there.. lol
Then got married had a daughter so not much time for horses then, but when I turned 35 I decided it was time to make some changes so started looking, I saw one horse which I liked but decided to keep looking, found a nice mare a friend had for sale so I bought her.. however I kept thinking of the one I saw before her, so I went back and bought him too.. lol.. then I decided to divorce.. lol.. horses were all I needed.. The first horse I bought was bred and I ended up with 3. My old mare now lives with my sister enjoying her life as a horse, my second horse died last yr at the ripe old age of 30 .. he was the best horse in the world.. my mare's colt now resides with a very very good friend and she loves him to pieces.. a few years ago I purchased the horse I always wanted but never thought I could afford.. a Norweigan Fjord.. Gunnar .. and he's the sweetest horse ever. We do clinics together and travel a far bit in the summer with my best friend and her horse Amos..
Gunnar also has another mom.. Sarah.. she drags him around too.. Can Am where he's well known and various clinics and shows.. she rides dressage.. while I ride western .. so he's pretty well rounded in both displines..
My only regret is that I didn't get more lessons when I first started out.. oh well all is good now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....   How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How'd you all get started/or reacquainted again with....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: General Topics :: Bert's Diner -for everyday conversations around the coffee pot.-
Jump to: