Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ashamed of the media

Go down 
+5
naughty by nature
Lab Rat
just joan
Ellie*Mae
SexyDexy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

Ashamed of the media Empty
PostSubject: Ashamed of the media   Ashamed of the media Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 1:14 pm

I've had a few days to think about this and get other people's opinions but it hasn't changed my initial reaction to CTV's decision to show the footage of the Georgian Luger crashing into the steel post resulting in his death last Friday. Just before they showed it Friday evening, I believe it was Brian Williams, said "we at CTV have debated wether or not to show this footage...." followed by a graphic warning. I couldn't believe my friggen eyes. I was not prepared nor did I want to witness that accident, but it happen so fast that I didn't change the channel fast enough. I was almost in tears after and felt very sick to my stomach.

If that wasn't bad enough, I was infuriated to see the still shot and smaller photo of his "BLEEDING FACE and HEAD" on the front page of Saturday's Chronicle Herald. To say I'm ashamed of the media is an understatement. I realize that the human race as a whole are fascinated with death and destruction, I heard a quote once that the media must live by to generate ratings - "If it bleeds, it reads". But, this is completely unacceptable. I'm sure we could have all visualized what happen to that poor man without having the video and bloody photos stuffed in ours faces. I couldn't imagine his teamates and family back home seeing these images. If someone close to me died in a tragic accident I certainly wouldn't want to see it...or hear it. The sound of him hitting the post was horrible.

What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

PostSubject: Re: Ashamed of the media   Ashamed of the media Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 1:45 pm

I agree with you 1000%....furthermore, I don't WANT to see...nor, did I need to see the images of the poor dead fox here on PEI after the skidoo'ers got done with him, but apparently our local paper, and the CBC both felt we all needed to see it, just in case we weren't sharp enough to be able to form a mental picture.....I stopped watching W5 years ago when it became too "sensationalistic".....it's not news anymore - other peoples misery has become entertainment....sounds like ancient Rome....we really have not come a long way, in so many regards....
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Ashamed of the media   Ashamed of the media Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 2:16 pm

Shocked, dismayed and totally pissed off is what I AM..........The original picture of him laying against the post was more than sufficient for me to understand he could be fatally injured. I am quite positive that when more of an explanation seemed to be required for us to really GET THE SENSE of all that transpired the media brought out their biggest VAMPIRES to ensure correct coverage.

Although the Georgian Team did actually enter the Olympic Stadium and were Welcomed by a Standing Ovation, I'm sure the image of their colleague being so prominantly displayed througout the day was reason enough to withdraw from the Luge competition.

Totally Unconscionable.
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
Lab Rat

PostSubject: Re: Ashamed of the media   Ashamed of the media Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 3:45 pm

I had tried to respond to this earlier but somehow lost my post. So here it goes again.

I think it's utterly tasteless! I'd be appauled if I were his family. The last thing I'd want published is a photo of my son, brother, or uncle's last horrifying moments all for the purpose of entertainment/shock value. I myself haven't seen the clip as I have no interest in watching someone die.

When that woman got killed in Halifax after being struck in a crosswalk by a dump truck, Chronical Herald or Metro published a coloured picture of the accident scene. Her body was laying beneath a tarp but you couldn't see her body. What you did see however, was a pool of blood and matter surrounding her body. The accident occured on a hill so you can see where the blood had started travelling downhill. As this woman's family I would have been both devastated and outraged!

Last edited by Lab Rat on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: Ashamed of the media   Ashamed of the media Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 8:59 pm

I agree 100% I saw the footage but feel horrible for seeing it I can just imagine that if that was my brother or son ect that I would not want his final moments alive to be viewed by everyone across the world.

I was talking to my SO the other day about this and how the media has changed I remember when i was younger they couldn't show actual dead people on tv then they went to showing a hand of the dead person and nothing else and now every news cast about Haiti is showing stacks of dead bodies lying in the streets it's disgusting. Theses are peoples children/relatives/spouses ect have some friggin respect. My SO said well thats the news that what they show. However I think they can project the devestration without showing the actual dead.
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: Ashamed of the media   Ashamed of the media Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 9:26 am

I didn't see the footage but if that was my son/brother/husband... I would be mortified on top of dealing with all my grief. I agreee - totally unacceptable and just far too much information.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
Loves Color

Loves Color

PostSubject: Re: Ashamed of the media   Ashamed of the media Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:07 am

This is something about the media that I have hated for a very long time. I remember when a friend of mine's Dad was killed in a car accident and the local paper had the picture on the front page, in color. I was so upset. I think there needs to be limits.
Back to top Go down
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

PostSubject: Re: Ashamed of the media   Ashamed of the media Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:44 am

I do not want to see it, I think the media should not be showing the tragedy on the news...
Back to top Go down
Freva

Freva

PostSubject: Re: Ashamed of the media   Ashamed of the media Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 9:55 pm

I found the coverage tactless without regard or respect to the victim or his family. It seems that bad news sells best!!!Grrrrr To ad insult to injury...I caught a glimspe of the news today with the annoucer stating that the young Olympian's body had arrived back in his home country of Georgia with a fairly dignified shot of a plane landing etc... but they couldn't leave it at that....they had closeup facial shots of his parents and siblings and they were so heartbroken...they couldn't even allow them to grieve in peace for a moment....it sickened me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/fvpstables
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ashamed of the media   Ashamed of the media Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ashamed of the media
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: General Topics :: Bert's Diner -for everyday conversations around the coffee pot.-
Jump to: