Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

LAMPRAS ??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tammy

LAMPRAS ?? Empty
PostSubject: LAMPRAS ??   LAMPRAS ?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 12:41 pm

When the vet was out about a month ago floating teeth he told me that Stretch has "lampras", which is why he doesn't like the pelleted grain anymore. He described it to me as inflamation of the gums behind the front teeth. I've tried to look it up online but can't find it. Does anyone know how it's spelled or if perhaps there is another name for it? "Da boys" down at my sawdust place knew what I was talking about and recommended one of the following treatments:

1. put a stick in his mouth to hold his jaw open and then pierce the things with a hot iron rod. OK, so THAT isn't going to happen.
2. their second recommendation was to feed him a turnip. Apparently it's so hard that when he's trying to break a piece off it would puncture the fluid sacs on the gums and get rid of them.
3. baby potatoes. Same reason as above.

The vet said to rub Orajel on the gum area to desensitize it. Now THAT'S not going to happen either. Great way to lose a finger or 12 I'd say!

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I switched Stretch's feed to "kibble-like" chunks and he's quite happy with them. His mouth doesn't bother him with the bit, just when he's eating small things like pellets that stick into the gums (I'm guessing).
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

LAMPRAS ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LAMPRAS ??   LAMPRAS ?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 12:54 pm

I believe it's "Lampas" but I can't seem to find any more info than you've already posted here. I'll have to check my equine health books at home.

ETA - found this link to a book. Lampas starts on page 339

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Xk9llMNgB9cC&pg=PA339&lpg=PA339&dq=Lampas+horse+infection&source=bl&ots=3UKAv44Szp&sig=W8-tw4aqkwt5NCbT9H3A7DX1ijI&hl=en&ei=Y0ONS9nhLZTYNvjFpW4&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CA4Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=Lampas%20horse%20infection&f=false
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

LAMPRAS ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LAMPRAS ??   LAMPRAS ?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 3:34 pm

yikes, that really sounds painful for you both.......cant say I know anything about it.......sure hope what cindyrelly sent you helps some......ah...good luck..... LAMPRAS ?? 757770
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
Tammy

LAMPRAS ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LAMPRAS ??   LAMPRAS ?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 9:02 pm

THAT'S IT! That's what he has. Part of the info was missing and it said that I'd reached my limit of free reading, but at least I now know that it IS real. Thanks so much!
Back to top Go down
jake

LAMPRAS ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LAMPRAS ??   LAMPRAS ?? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 9:13 am

We had a belgian draft horse one time that had what you described. The roof of his mouth came down almost taking up all his front teeth.
We were told at the time to feed him turnips to help push it back up. Old time remedy I guess. We eventually sold the horse but he went on to live a long life. LAMPRAS ?? 58398
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

LAMPRAS ?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LAMPRAS ??   LAMPRAS ?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LAMPRAS ??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: Keeping and Caring for Horses :: Horse Health - equine health care-
Jump to: