Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help! Bits...ARGHHH

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

Help! Bits...ARGHHH Empty
PostSubject: Help! Bits...ARGHHH   Help! Bits...ARGHHH Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 11:05 am

alright, so i need a new western bit for Denver.. the one im using right now is a tom thumb.. which i HATE. i dont trust them not to pinch.. and i only planned on using it temporarily anyway.

i asked his previous owner what she used, and this is what ive got to work with...

she used a billy allen.. she thinks the make was called a robart.
no port, but hinged, with a small copper roller.

what is everyone's thoughts on someting that would be equivalent to this?? (hopefully without having to pay $70 for it..)

he works best in a curb, so im hoping to get something soon-ish to avoid having to go back to my snaffle!
any input is greatly appreciated :)
Back to top Go down
will

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bits...ARGHHH   Help! Bits...ARGHHH Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 7:38 pm

That is the bit Will uses - Billy Allen mouthpiece- means its jointed without the nutcracker action - tongue relief means it goes up over the tongue in a wide shallow way, not narrow like a port. Complete with copper roller for $35 at my favorite tack store
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bits...ARGHHH   Help! Bits...ARGHHH Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 8:42 pm

you can get a billy allen or a myler they have the same mouth piece for the most part but are also in the same price range.
why do you have to ride him in a shanked bit? at the barrel clinic this weekend the coach was really into loomis gag bits they look pretty neat and aren't that expensive considering you get a full bridle
Back to top Go down
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bits...ARGHHH   Help! Bits...ARGHHH Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 3:56 am

well, i dont HAVE to ride him in a shank, i just like the way he works in a shank.

Darc -- i might try will's bit out and see what he thinks.. then we may take a trip to angies :)
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bits...ARGHHH   Help! Bits...ARGHHH Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 10:36 pm

oops sorry that kinda came out wrong i meant why do you ride him in a shanked bit. lol
their are some cheaper billy allen bits on horse loverz
Back to top Go down
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bits...ARGHHH   Help! Bits...ARGHHH Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 10:55 pm

haha, ok that makes more sense.
i find the leverage helps him get under himself more than using just a snaffle.. in the snaffle, he likes to just flex his poll, but not get right under himself.

ill check out horse loverz.. thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! Bits...ARGHHH   Help! Bits...ARGHHH Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help! Bits...ARGHHH
Page 1 of 1