Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BOARDING COSTS

Go down 
+3
naughty by nature
just joan
Tammy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tammy

BOARDING COSTS Empty
PostSubject: BOARDING COSTS   BOARDING COSTS Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 10:12 am

Hey Gang,

I was just curious as to the cost of boarding in other parts of the maritimes. I thought it'd be interesting to know how much it costs to keep a horse in different locations. I know that in the past 3 years the board has increased in our area substantially. To board at a barn that has an indoor arena, heated viewing area, tack room, daily turnout (9-2) and outdoor ring it's in the neighbourhood of $550 (includes GST). The barns that don't have indoors seem to be around the $375 (plus GST) area.

How much do you pay, and what type of facilities do you have access to?

PS - I'll be also starting a thread asking the same type of question to those who keep their horses at home. But that's another post so that you have something else to open up!
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

BOARDING COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOARDING COSTS   BOARDING COSTS Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 11:39 am

WELL, sometimes you get what you pay for, and other times........NOT SO MUCH...........depends on whether you like your horse turned out in a herd, by itself, blanketed or not or standing in a big pile of thistle all day...............hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm tough to say......
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
naughty by nature

BOARDING COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOARDING COSTS   BOARDING COSTS Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 8:26 pm

I really lucked out I have just moved Target to a barn with a big sand out door and decent size indoor no tack room but i have a tack trunk so not a big deal and he has turn out 12 hours a day in a 3+ acre field with a buddy. I don't really want to post what I pay a month on here but I can PM you if you want to know the price. I'm paying for this place the same as what i was paying at another place with smaller turn out and two out door rings no indoor but it was closer to the city then the place i have him at now. if I had him at a the same place he is at now closer to the city it would probably be at least $200-300 more a month.
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

BOARDING COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOARDING COSTS   BOARDING COSTS Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 8:42 pm

small private barns with no indoor around here cost between 275 to 400 with indoors around 400-600
in the valley I think it's much much cheaper.. you can board at Greenwood for 350 plus you have the indoor.. Lightning will correct me if I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
RobinsKelticBuckaroo

RobinsKelticBuckaroo

BOARDING COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOARDING COSTS   BOARDING COSTS Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 9:11 pm

I love the barn i board at. Turnout is usually from 7-4 in the winter, then slowly as the days get longer they stay out longer, like right now they are pretty much out from 6:30-8, in the summer, if you choose, they can stay out all day, come in, have supper, and go back out. They get plenty of hay when there indoors, and outdoors in the winter time she feeds hay bales as well, so not dusty like round bales. Lots of grass in the summer time. Indoor arena, outdoor ring, fields to hack around, or the old railway tracks, stalls with mats, tack lockers, grained 2x a day, changes blankets etc. i pay $275 a month. Also pretty private which i love, its only a 10 stall barn.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

BOARDING COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOARDING COSTS   BOARDING COSTS Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 1:21 pm

Wow, I'd never be able to afford horses in NFLD! Probably not if I was boarding, anywhere, for that matter. $575 is more then my mortgage and insurance. I'd probably have enough money left over to buy a small brand new car!

There is a barn not too far from me that has an indoor and offers 24hr turnout for $200/month with a straight stall, $300 with a box (near Sackville, NB). In Moncton, board with an indoor will run you $300+. I board a couple of horses at my place. 24hr turnout, freechoice hay/haylage, minerals, salt, water, and oats/BOSS/BP when the weather is really bad for $200/month. Its a good HORSE place with very few 'people extras'.

I would be interested in boarding one of my horses for a couple months of the year to have access to an indoor and lessons, but I would not feel comfortable boarding at most if not all of the boarding barns available to me. They don't feed even close to enough hay, and 24hr turnout doesn't seem to be an option. I refuse to put my desire to ride ahead of my horses mental/physical well being. I wish I had access to a barn that focused on 'natural' horse care with an indoor. The majority of boarding barns I've visited in my area have WAY TOO MANY horses for the amount of land, standing in mud and poop, fighting for hay and generally quality horse care seems to be on the bottom of the priority list. If I'm paying $300-$500/month for my horses care I expect quality!

RKB - I don't know how your barn owner is even breaking even. With the increasing cost of hay, fuel, electricity, insurance and the monthly payment of an indoor, $275 would barely cover it. I know because with me charging my boarders $200/month I am just breaking even and I don't have a lot of overhead. Tell your BO you love her ;).
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

BOARDING COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOARDING COSTS   BOARDING COSTS Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 1:50 pm

We're a semi private facility with board at 250 month, box stall with small indoor, grain/hay, heated water in winter, multiple paddocks for turnout. And when you consider all the expenses that go out with boarding it's pretty much a break even. If hay and grain costs go up again this summer we'll probably be increasing board come winter. Closer to town rates go up and the higher level facilities near moncton are in the 450-500 range plus tax.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BOARDING COSTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOARDING COSTS   BOARDING COSTS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BOARDING COSTS
Page 1 of 1