Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Go down 
+7
oldsaddlebags
Ellie*Mae
rude
MoonShadow
Bay-Lee
Tammy
RedBaronBPeppy
11 posters
AuthorMessage
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

anyone ever seen anything like this before? Empty
PostSubject: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 7:04 pm

i noticed while fly spraying one of the geldings at work yesterday that he had a strange looking sore on the back part of his sheath.... ive never seen anything like it before. i poked and prodded at it, and it does not seem to hurt him at all. it is very hard and bumpy all around the area, and not really scabby, just sort of crusty?? kind of difficult to explain. i took a few pictures with my cell phone, they arent the greatest but they will give you an idea of what im talking about. i'm slightly worried it may be something serious.. but i was also thinking some type of fungus? it literally looks like the flesh is being eaten away. the outside edges of the sore is pinkish, then theres a layer of reddish-greenish color, then white, then the very center is black....

any ideas anyone????? :s

ulcerated sarcoid??

only noticed it yesterday, so have no idea how long its been there!

anyone ever seen anything like this before? Phone010
anyone ever seen anything like this before? Phone011
anyone ever seen anything like this before? Phone013
anyone ever seen anything like this before? Phone012

Last edited by RedBaronBPeppy on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Hard to tell from the fuzzy pictures but I'd hedge my bets on it being a bunch of fly bites. It's in a nice soft tasty area. My boys get them and it's like the flies congregate there and then it turns into something like a sore. I bathe it with warm water to get the crusties off and then put on a bit of bag balm. I sure hope that's what it is.
Back to top Go down
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 7:12 pm

you guys are probably going to think that I use Zincofax on everything..LOL, I put on a thick layer on the area, and it stays for a few days, the bugs dont like it, and it might help to heal the bite he has already
Back to top Go down
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 7:26 pm

hmm..
id really love to think its fly bites. i hope it is. but it just seems off. also, dont know if its related at all, or not, but hes having a hard time shedding his winter coat this year. normally hes one of the first to be completely smooth.. this year, not so much.

someone suggested worst-case scenario it may be cancer.. it doesnt have the puss and oozing that i would expect an infected fly bite to have. and not really scabs.
the white part looks like a whole bunch of teeny-tiny pieces of styrofoam all stuck together? as weird as that sounds, haha.. you cant really see the texture because the pictures are blurry.
Back to top Go down
MoonShadow

MoonShadow

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 8:25 pm

From your description...
Quote :
white part looks like a whole bunch of teeny-tiny pieces of styrofoam all stuck together

That sounds like warts. Horse can get them.. mostly on the nose and I think ..some one correct me. if I'm off base here.. it is while they are between 2 and 6 in age that they show up. I'm not sure how prevalent they are on the sheath. Do a google search see what you can find that looks similar. Your best bet is to get your vet to take a look. Then you can stop worrying, or at least know what you should be worrying about.
Back to top Go down
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 9:08 pm

i dont think its warts, as the horse is 20 yrs old, and has zero history of them... although, we did wonder that as well! we are getting the vet out for a herd health check so i guess now we will do it sooner than later!!
i will be google-ing like crazy tonight to try and find something..
Back to top Go down
rude

rude

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 1:55 pm

I would have the vet out the check it out..it doesn't look right..
Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Could be a form of sarcoid. Did you get your vet?
Back to top Go down
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 11:33 pm

vet has not come out yet, hopefully within the next week..

we are not too hopeful of a promising outlook.. my boss took a look at him today, doesn't like the looks of it..

it hasnt changed at all in the past couple of days.
Back to top Go down
oldsaddlebags

oldsaddlebags

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 10:39 am

Bay-Lee....I use zincofax on everything LOL Plus it doesn't show up on a white horse either LOL lol!
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 12:06 pm

any more news? Did the vet make it out yet?
Back to top Go down
fscolleen

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 1:38 pm

I had a mare with something that looked very similar to what is in your photos a few years ago. I was told that it might be a sarcoid. After researching on the internet I found a number of articles saying that Crest toothpaste (and it has to be Crest) can be used as a treatment. I decided to give it a try and it worked on her. I can't remember exactly how long it took but it wasn't that long. It has never come back.
Back to top Go down
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 2:13 pm

lol Oldsaddlebags, you are lucky to have him white in that area, when people see Bay-Lee after I aply the cream, they wonder what in the heck I did to my horse..:)..

Please keep us up to date when you vet comes RedBaronBPeppy , I am really curious to what that is..
Back to top Go down
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 5:09 pm

vet is coming on tuesday...
i'll let you all know what he says!!
Back to top Go down
rude

rude

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 8:13 am

I haven't been on the site for a while..but what did the vet say????
Back to top Go down
RedBaronBPeppy

RedBaronBPeppy

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 10:37 pm

i forgot to post the findings!!

vet said its a bacterial infection, but the reason we didnt realize there was infection was because there was a calcification over the wound.. so all we have to do is keep it open and clean, and it should heal!

a much better fate then we had pinned on him, LOL.
Back to top Go down
MSFarm

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 11:11 am

oh my word!Thats Great news!
Better then what you had thought it was.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mountainsandranch.webs.com/
Freva

Freva

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 11:18 pm

Good news!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/fvpstables
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 8:47 am

Great to hear!
Back to top Go down
MoonShadow

MoonShadow

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 10:06 am

Great news!!!
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 10:51 am

what a relief ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: anyone ever seen anything like this before?   anyone ever seen anything like this before? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

anyone ever seen anything like this before?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: Keeping and Caring for Horses :: Horse Health - equine health care-
Jump to: