Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HAY!!! I am stressed out!

Go down 
+3
SexyDexy
Simi
mypony
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mypony

HAY!!! I am stressed out! Empty
PostSubject: HAY!!! I am stressed out!   HAY!!! I am stressed out! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 8:25 am

In the last number of years, I have been very lucky with my hay. My bff's dad makes our hay. He has lots of land and every year there is at least one field with Timothy hay. Every year he makes it at the beginning of July and we get it in before it rains... But this year it got rained on the day after it was cut. Then we got it dried up and he baled it and my hubby and I both offered to help put it in the barn. He said he was not ready for that... what ever he meant by that. Then the next day it rained and it rained for two days, record rain fall! He thinks it is going to be fine. But I don't think so. Two of the five horses have breathing issues. Now the round bales are still outside and it might rain again today.

I know that horses hay should not be rained on, but tell me what happens to it. I need information to help my argument for why we should not use the hay. The down side to all this is that it was the only field of Timothy he has this year, everything else has lots of red clover.

Also for those of you who get two cuts of hay off a field of Timothy, when do you cut the second cut? I know that the second cut is not as good as the first cut, but it would be better then rained on hay, right?

I am totally stressed about this hay stuff! It is a poor year for hay on PEI from what I hear.
Back to top Go down
Simi
Mod
Simi

PostSubject: Re: HAY!!! I am stressed out!   HAY!!! I am stressed out! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 8:38 am

I wouldnt feed it if it has been baled and rained on....
Back to top Go down
http://www.maritime-equestrians.com
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: HAY!!! I am stressed out!   HAY!!! I am stressed out! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 9:34 am

The first rain it got on it, after it already started to dry, will make it dusty. Not moldy per say, but dusty. Now that the bales have been rained on that moisture is going to be trapped inside a compacted bale and will not dry out before it goes moldy. I would not feed it. I am in the same situation. My BF's father had a neighbour cut his fields for me last year and he left the round bales out in the field for a week after baling and they got 50mm of rain on them. Of course they are rounds so only the outer 6 inches or so was really bad but I find that the mold still spreads over time to the centre. Plus, when he stored them in the barn he set the bottom row on their ends (flat side of rouns bale) and the moisture wicked up into the bale. I left 5 bales in the barn and didn't use them because they were spoiled and now he is upset with me because I "wasted" them. This year he hasn't offered me any hay which is fine because I am tired of arguing with him about it anyways. He thinks I'm silly in the head for worrying so much about my horses hay. I just bite my tounge and try to be nice.

In order to get a good crop of second cut hay you would have had to have taken the first cut a lot earlier than now. With fertilizer, you may be able to get enough growth to make a second cut but maybe not. I would take second cut over first cut any day. It's much nicer and nutritious IMO.

Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: HAY!!! I am stressed out!   HAY!!! I am stressed out! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 9:35 am

sorry kiddo, I agree with CJ......too wet, too hot.......way way bad for your Breathing problem guys............it will be cooking in the middle.......
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: HAY!!! I am stressed out!   HAY!!! I am stressed out! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 9:37 am

LISTEN TO CINDYRELLY SEXY DEXY...........SHE KNOWS WHAT SHE IS TALKING ABOUT......ITS PART OF HER JOB!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
mypony

PostSubject: Re: HAY!!! I am stressed out!   HAY!!! I am stressed out! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 3:59 pm

Thanks for the replies. I went to my friend's today and the hay has been put in. I don't want to use it. I am hoping to be able to make new stuff in the fall, even though it will be second cut, still better then rained on hay!

Back to top Go down
Tango

PostSubject: Re: HAY!!! I am stressed out!   HAY!!! I am stressed out! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 8:02 am

I am in the same situation. Our hay did not get rained on prior to baling but the round bales of beautiful horse hay are still sitting in the pasture. My guys don't have breathing issues and these are fed outside so I am hoping if I peel off the outer layer it will be all right. By the time we got the stuff baled it was getting late, my husband leaves for work around 5 am had gotten home at 6pm hopped on the tractor and baled till almost nine. I wan't about to ask him to then bring it down and cover it...
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: HAY!!! I am stressed out!   HAY!!! I am stressed out! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 10:00 am

Tango wrote:
I am in the same situation. Our hay did not get rained on prior to baling but the round bales of beautiful horse hay are still sitting in the pasture. My guys don't have breathing issues and these are fed outside so I am hoping if I peel off the outer layer it will be all right. By the time we got the stuff baled it was getting late, my husband leaves for work around 5 am had gotten home at 6pm hopped on the tractor and baled till almost nine. I wan't about to ask him to then bring it down and cover it...
I fed round bales that had sat out in the field for a little while after being baled the first year we had horses here and it was awful hay, I would not recommend it. The horses suffered because of it. Cows can get away with it but horses need top quality stuff.

I hate how cow people imply that horse folks are fussy about hay. I'm not fussy, I just expect quality for my money!
Back to top Go down
HardTackSpurs

HardTackSpurs

PostSubject: Re: HAY!!! I am stressed out!   HAY!!! I am stressed out! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 3:29 pm

Barefoot_Horsegirl wrote:
Cows can get away with it but horses need top quality stuff.

I hate how cow people imply that horse folks are fussy about hay. I'm not fussy, I just expect quality for my money!

I think I have fussy cattle because if the horse won't eat it then there is no way that the cattle will eat it. It might be from getting quality hay all the time, not sure though. Now I can't speak for every cattle farmer just mine. HAY!!! I am stressed out! 466697 lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HAY!!! I am stressed out!   HAY!!! I am stressed out! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HAY!!! I am stressed out!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: Keeping and Caring for Horses :: Around the Barn- general horse discussions-
Jump to: