Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Teeth floating

Go down 
+6
Bay-Lee
MoonShadow
Chickenlittle
charlo
lb-ranch
mypony
10 posters
AuthorMessage
mypony

Teeth floating Empty
PostSubject: Teeth floating   Teeth floating Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 11:59 pm

Do you get your horse's teeth done every year?

Just curious what most people do.
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

Teeth floating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teeth floating   Teeth floating Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 8:34 am

Several of mine get done yearly as they have teeth issues that need addressing regularly, one we found his teeth were the main reason he cribbed and was hard mouthed to ride I get the others checked to see if they "need" doing but most can just get sharp points floated every other year or a cap helped loosen off and be fine. I also do NOT use a vet, I use an equine dentist who has trained for dentistry, (still with sedation) just like I wouldnt get my vet to do my horses feet, that's the farriers specialty.

Last edited by lb-ranch on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
charlo

Teeth floating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teeth floating   Teeth floating Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 9:35 am

I have them checked yearly yes, if they need done, then they are done.
Back to top Go down
Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle

Teeth floating Empty
PostSubject: Floating   Teeth floating Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 10:39 am

I get my horses teeth done every year when they get their needles and general check up. My vet insists on sedating them so he can do the job...and that is quite alright by me...also gives a good opportunity to clean your horse's sheath out after the vet leaves. The horses have always needed to have their teeth floated as there have been rough points so I feel better knowing it is done.

My horse's former owner floated her own horse's teeth herself and that worked for her.

Now, I did hear one horror story but I cannot remember who told me this, but I think this is well worth mentioning. This horse was going to have it's teeth floated by someone other than a vet, but someone who was trained to float teeth. They attempted to do this in the stall, no sedation. The horse reared up, hit its head on the ceiling or beam, fell to the ground, and broke it's neck in the struggle to get up. Dead horse.

Now, again, I cannot remember who told me this, and whether it is true or not, but I think we could learn alot from this sad story regardless.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Chickenlittle on Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MoonShadow

MoonShadow

Teeth floating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teeth floating   Teeth floating Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 3:40 pm

I get my horses teeth floated at least every 12 to 18 months . Same time I get needles, general check -up, and sheath cleaning done. My vet does it all while they are tranqued. I believe that dental care in horses is very important.
Back to top Go down
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

Teeth floating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teeth floating   Teeth floating Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 7:12 pm

Bay-lee has he's checked everyy ear, but he only has them floated every 2 years..
Back to top Go down
Tango

Teeth floating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teeth floating   Teeth floating Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 7:39 am

When the vet was here in the spring I had asked about teeth. Our first horse would have been with us three years, I think (it's early and math is not my thing). He said that horses that eat off the ground, the way they chew and the design of their jaw wears their teeth down. Now that does not mean they will never need their teeth floated, but not as often. I take hold of my horses tongue and run my fingers over his teeth once in awhile and so far, they are smooth. Same with all the horses. I also let them have free choice hay so they are chewing alot lol.

Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

Teeth floating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teeth floating   Teeth floating Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 2:03 pm

I use Dr. Hayward out of Moncton, he's an equine dentist and vet. I had all 3 of my horses done last year and he said they should be good for about 3 years. He told me that most horses won't need to be done for the first time until about 10 y/o (unless wolf teeth are a problem at 3-4y/o when they start training) and then every 3 years after that due to the way the teeth grow. My horses all have normal mouths so maybe a horse with issues would need it done more often. I don't think the provincial vet here in NB has the electric float and can't do as thorough as a job. I think its important to use someone who specializes in teeth. My mare is MUCH happier since her visit with the dentist.

My horses also eat off the ground, have free choice hay and never wear halters during turn out. These things can all affect how they chew which will affect how they wear down their teeth.

ChickenLittle - Is your vet using ACE to do the teeth (so the sheeth drops)? Just a word of caution, it can cause prispism. I asked about sheeth cleaning and the vet advised against using ACE.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

Teeth floating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teeth floating   Teeth floating Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 2:07 pm

lb-ranch wrote:
Several of mine get done yearly as they have teeth issues that need addressing regularly, one we found his teeth were the main reason he cribbed and was hard mouthed to ride I get the others checked to see if they "need" doing but most can just get sharp points floated every other year or a cap helped loosen off and be fine. I also do NOT use a vet, I use an equine dentist who has trained for dentistry, (still with sedation) just like I wouldnt get my vet to do my horses feet, that's the farriers specialty.

LB, how does your dentist sedate in NB without a vet present? This is illegal. I know of another equine dentist in the Sackville area who is not a vet but he requires the vet be present to administer the sedation, but then you end up paying his fees PLUS a vet fee for the sedation. Cheaper to deal with the equine dentist who is also a vet for me.
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

Teeth floating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teeth floating   Teeth floating Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 2:29 pm

I trailer mine out of province, havent met a nb vet yet that I'd trust for teeth other than just floating sharp points and from what I've learned watching lots of horses done by a properly trained dental tech there's alot more than just floating points to floating teeth. Caps, ramps, wolf, canine, hooks, waves, fractured teeth, and much more, it's a very fascinating area of study, Training wise I can tell quickly when a young horse is having teeth issues rather than training issues, kid is shedding a cap right now and is "mouthy" and tugging bit more than usual, just his way of saying my mouth is "off" right now, once cap goes he'll be right back to normal. some vets do work hand in hand with dentist and though it's more costly it's well worth it, I wouldnt go to my family physician and ask her to work on my teeth, nor would I go to my dentist and ask him about my arthritis.
Back to top Go down
Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle

Teeth floating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teeth floating   Teeth floating Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 8:18 pm

This is a "quote" from Barefoot Horsegirl"...(I don't know how to do quotes yet):
ChickenLittle - Is your vet using ACE to do the teeth (so the sheeth drops)? Just a word of caution, it can cause prispism. I asked about sheeth cleaning and the vet advised against using ACE.

My response:
I'm not sure about ACE...I don't know what my vet uses...and I had to google prispism because I've never heard of this...I got Priaspism? My vet only used enough sedation so the horse would relax enough to be comfortable with the contraption strapped on his head to keep his sweet mouth open...and then for the drill/rasp to do its magic...but then suggested before he left that now would be a good time to clean the sheath as the horse was relaxed. I never noticed anything bizzare "down there" with him after he was done.

Wow, this topic is interesting!
Back to top Go down
Bay-Lee

Bay-Lee

Teeth floating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teeth floating   Teeth floating Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Bay-Lee gets his teeth done standing in the middle of the round pen..I guess Im lucky that he lets the vet do it without a struggle....
I was also told that if a horse gets free choice hay, that the teeth will stay nice and grinded because of the use of the teeth..
Back to top Go down
~TC~

Teeth floating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teeth floating   Teeth floating Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 8:49 pm

Something to think about for those who leave halters on most of the time.

We tend to adjust them snuggly so they do not come off or so the horse does not get a hoof stuck in them, etc, but this can affect how the horse chews it's food. The mouth does not end where the bit sits... it does extend well up past where the nose peice of a halter fits.. If too snug, the horse may not chew properly, causing a need for more dental work, more often...

Back to top Go down
Tammy

Teeth floating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teeth floating   Teeth floating Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 12:48 pm

I get my guys checked yearly because they are all "seniors". We don't have equine dentists around here. Bleeding heart, we're lucky to be able to get the friggin' vet out! If they need their teeth done I get them sedated. Our vet uses the old fashioned rasp while I hold the tongue out of the way (pretty gooey job). I WISH we had access to the standard of care that other provinces have!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Teeth floating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teeth floating   Teeth floating Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Teeth floating
Page 1 of 1