Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rant! Smart gets you nothing.

Go down 
+5
Tammy
Highlander
Twilight
Wissy
teekathepony
9 posters
AuthorMessage
teekathepony

teekathepony

Rant! Smart gets you nothing. Empty
PostSubject: Rant! Smart gets you nothing.   Rant! Smart gets you nothing. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 10:16 pm

I have a little rant. Just have to get it out. You guys are the best. Here it goes.

My parents always told me when I was little (as I'm sure all parents do) "You're so smart. Smart girls can be anything they want when they grow up."

All through school I made high 90's. My IQ is high. But because I'm not a minority of any kind or handicapable or involved in a (recognized) sport, I got very little in the way of scholarships. Student loan it was. Went to university right after high school because that's what people are supposed to do. Didn't have a clue what I wanted to be so I started a BA. Knew I hated science and math, liked English, so I went for literature with a minor in art. Guess what that got me? Absolute thistle. Took a photography course (more loans) which at least got me some work and eventually my job I'm in now -- at Japan Camera.

I work part time and my boss is cutting my hours because the mall is dead. I'm barely getting anything.

I gradually decided that I wanted to be a teacher. My whole life I've been teaching people -- those who didn't understand what the teacher was saying always came to me, and I explained it a different way, and they got it. I was the go-to-alternate-teacher. I started realizing how much I loved teaching. I also felt frustrated with my grade 12 experience, feeling like it did nothing to prepare me for university at all. So all in all, I felt like I'd make a great high school teacher.

Sounds great!

Now I've got a couple of friends who've had their licenses for a few years and are still subbing with no jobs on the horizon. Teacher's jobs are being cut AGAIN. PLUS, I don't think student loan will give me more money now that I'm married. They think my husband makes too much. Apparently no one at student loan knows what it's like to have a mortgage and car payments etc.

So of course I'm concerned, but my passion is teaching. I am working part time anyway, I might as well get a further education while I do. And if I don't get many sub jobs, I'll keep this part time job and at least be a little ahead of the game, right?

Well, my parents have changed their tune since I was a little girl. No more "You can be anything you want to be" crap, now it's "You can't be a teacher! They're cutting jobs left and right. Go get a secretary job with the government. Or work at a bank. Or be a nurse."

Uhhhhh... secretary is just not something I want to do. bank = math... I puke at blood and guts... those options just won't work for me.

Tonight driving home from work I said to hubby, "I'm scared to take the teachers course...", hoping he would comfort me, or at least ask me why. Tonight I'm worried most about the student loan. Instead (which is odd for him, as he's usually super and supportive) he said "Well you'll have to find something else. And you can't stay at Japan Camera."

Wow, Daisy. Way to make me feel REAL good.

What good is being smart if you can't even be what you want? I'm going to end up doing something like my mom, something I have zero interest in and do not want to be doing, just to make a damn living. I'm going to hate my life. UGH! I'm pretty upset at the moment. I'm sure something will work out somewhere, but in the mean time, it would be nice to be 5 years old again and have my parents tell me that I can be whatever I want to be.

Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Rant! Smart gets you nothing.   Rant! Smart gets you nothing. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 12:16 am

Teeka..honey, you can be anything you want.. your smart and young and have plenty of time to go and become a teacher.. my daughter is 34 and a single mother and has gone back to universtiy to get her degree in something she loves "computer science" She's in her 2nd year with some extra credits from when she left university the first time to have my grandson .. she's struggling a lot but is determined to get er done!
Whether or not you can get a teaching position is really not important at this time, get your teachers license first and you will be surprised at what you can do.. If you don't do this you Will regret it for the rest of your life.

Go on Teeka get er done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Twilight

PostSubject: Re: Rant! Smart gets you nothing.   Rant! Smart gets you nothing. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 6:03 am

You could work with challenged adults? You'd be amazed how much teaching you do in a residential setting with them. Or become an ECE....yes, the pay is not great, but you wind up teaching the most open and unbiased little minds all day long, so the satisfaction is immense.
Back to top Go down
Highlander

Highlander

PostSubject: Re: Rant! Smart gets you nothing.   Rant! Smart gets you nothing. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 8:44 am

Teeka, sorry your feeling like that, It's hard to have self believe when everything seems to be going against you. I think what you should do is go visit places you'd like to work, get in touch with orgainsations including those that work with disabled people, children and enquire as to how you could go about trainig on a budget. You should also try Volunteering, most places will take on volunteers and it would give you an insight into how they work. they would do a background check on you, i'm sure your a law abiding citizen so you'd pass that no problem. Rant! Smart gets you nothing. 831788

I have been unemployed since last July and if it was'nt for the volunteering i'd be lost.
You can do anything you want, just like everything there will be obstecles in your way but as long as you keep trying it will pay off. I have visited places where i'd like to work, have given my details in the hope something might come up, have friends and family and ex work collegues, vets, and Farrier keeping an eye out just in case. If you can use everything at your disposal to help you in your search it could open some doors for you.

All i an say is Don't give up. :hug.gif:
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Rant! Smart gets you nothing.   Rant! Smart gets you nothing. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 12:22 pm

I say GO FOR IT! My SIL is a teacher but has never taught in a classroom setting (other than her internship). She works in the university cafeteria during the day and runs her own tutoring business in the evenings. There are alot of opportunities now for teachers in areas other than the public school system. If this is truly your dream, then set a pathway of goals and get started. If you're only getting part time work at the camera shop then take some courses towards your education degree. You can do it!

Your folks are probably wanting you to get in a "secure employment" position. As they age they probably want to know that you are "settled". It's more for their peace of mind than yours.

Write a plan down on paper and then assign a timeline to it. That way you can see your progress and at times like this when you feel nobody is really supporting you, then you can look at concrete evidence and see your progress. Don't let anyone rain on your parade!

Rant! Smart gets you nothing. 197264
Back to top Go down
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Rant! Smart gets you nothing.   Rant! Smart gets you nothing. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 3:18 pm

I'll probably continue with my plan as I had made it, to work part time while getting my degree and to keep my current part time job while I substitute for a while, it's just hard when everyone around me wants to see me in a stable job, even if I hate it, and right NOW. I'm only 25!

Thanks for all your support guys, I always knew you were the best.
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Rant! Smart gets you nothing.   Rant! Smart gets you nothing. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 7:29 am

Teeka, your so young and have tons of time to figure it all out.. what sets you apart from some is that you know what you want and will achieve, you've come so far in your life at such a young age. Most women do not have what you have at this time in their lives.. you will succeed at what ever you decide to do..
Take care of yourself and love the person you are!
Back to top Go down
C4B's

C4B's

PostSubject: Re: Rant! Smart gets you nothing.   Rant! Smart gets you nothing. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 8:37 am

Fight for what you want to do Teeka....you are so young and have so many years ahead of you...don't waste your time on something that does not make you happy.....we are nothing without our dreams...work on making them come true !!! like Tammy says says there are more oppertunities for teachers than public school..start your own private school !! teach kids photograghy /art .........
Back to top Go down
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: Rant! Smart gets you nothing.   Rant! Smart gets you nothing. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 11:44 am

lol... I sucked at math... barely passed half the time.. I am a personal Banking advisor now..... benn with the bank almost 9 years!

Never would have thunk it... So yes, you can do whatever you want too! :)
Back to top Go down
Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle

PostSubject: Re: Rant! Smart gets you nothing.   Rant! Smart gets you nothing. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:03 pm

Hi there,

When I was in my early twenties, and with a one year secretarial course at "vocational school" under my belt, I received two job offers at the same time. One was with school board....one was with a veterinarian's office. I love animals so the vet's office seemed the happiest choice, BUT, my dad advised me to take the school board's job because he knew i wanted a car, a place to live of my own, a horse of my own, and the school board's job would handle that...and it has...for 26 years. I thank my dad to this day...as every bit of advice he has given me has been sound and right. I've been lucky to have a wise father. The job has allowed me summer's off, enough salary to have my own hobby farm, horses, the LIFE I wanted.

If you feel you have a gift of getting through to people....and you really want to spend your days in a classroom with up to 30 children....great...go for it. Teacher's work HARD for their money and they deserve every penny they get. You have to be a special giving person to do what they do and actually LIKE it. Summer's off though, holidays off, snow days off....that's nice.

Tip...from what i have heard....the substitute teachers that flourish and get jobs quickly...are the ones that are LIKED by the school principals. This is pretty typical though with any employer I think.

I won't tell you how I feel about my job....but let's just say...it pays the bills and gives me the the LIFE I wanted with horses. If I could go back and change my career....i'd go the other direction....i'd take care of the elderly in a heart beat.

Go with your heart....pick something you will enjoy BUT that will hopefully support what you WANT in life. If you can afford the time and money to go to school to become whatever it is you want to be....then go for it. But if you need to get out there, get a job and that's that....then you may have to pick something completely different.

I don't know if I have offered anything to help you. Good luck.

Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Rant! Smart gets you nothing.   Rant! Smart gets you nothing. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 1:00 pm

you girls really gave Teeka stuff to chew on and ruminate for a while..........

so Wendy, what have you done since your last post here????? are you any further ahead?
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rant! Smart gets you nothing.   Rant! Smart gets you nothing. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rant! Smart gets you nothing.
Page 1 of 1