Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1

Go down 
+7
just joan
Simi
~TC~
hopeful_farm
Walk On
naughty by nature
lb-ranch
11 posters
AuthorMessage
lb-ranch

Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Empty
PostSubject: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 7:20 pm

I know a few on here have followed my daughter (Bailey) over the years with some of her horses/projects (Faline :) So I thought I'd post an update. Last summer at Calgary stampede she was offered an apprenticeship with one of the drivers. She went out west last month and is having a blast, they are teaching her to drive and they have 27 horses to ride and drive conditioning them up for the upcoming race season starting late May. She finally sent a couple photos I could share here online :) If all goes well she'll take an outrider test at one of the first couple races and get her race permit.
here she is with her boss exercising a team that they're conditioning. He has her riding but wasnt sure she was big/strong enough to handle the teams as they are all thoroughbreds that they run, but she said she surprised him and is doing well handling the twos, they'll let her try the fours that they race with once the track dries out enough to hook 4 at a time.
Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 3264_94930435624_511970624_2451336_
Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 3264_94930425624_511970624_2451335_
Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 3264_94930420624_511970624_2451334_
in the barn unharnessing
Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 3264_94930890624_511970624_2451346_
I still have her mare Faline, we bred her last week to Poco Docs Bandit, for a March foal next year (hopefully :)
I'm planning on showing her at the Paint show this summer and riding her till she's too heavy to keep riding.
Come summer I'll post some photos of her outriding, I'm hoping to get out west to see her race this summer.

Last edited by lb-ranch on Fri May 01, 2009 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 8:31 pm

looks like fun. now don't get me wrong but isn't chuckwagon racing really dangerous and has alot of fatalities? or is that just rumor
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 8:39 pm

Any sport involving horses (or just owning a horse) is dangerous. In comparison to other equine events, Show jumping, barrel racing, harness racing, endurance, ... etc there are probably equal numbers of fatalities for horses and or riders in each venue, Since Show Jumping and things like Chuckwagon racing are nationally broadcast they get more media coverage making them more noticable and more contraversial being in the public eye. Since there are multiple horses when one breaks down or something happens there are alot more chances of things going "bad" but they do their best to make if exciting but as safe for horses/drivers and outriders as possible. Heavy fines and penalties for anyone being unsafe or reckless. They do wear protective vests and outriders have helmets, the horses are doctored and well cared for since a sick or uncared for horse wont help you win. As a parent I do hold my breath every day waiting for her updates but It's what she was born to do :) Horses are more than in her blood, she's actually probably safer riding than she is on her own two feet walking across the yard.
Back to top Go down
Walk On

Walk On

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 9:47 pm

What a great experience something she will remember her whole life,does she miss home?Bet mom misses her 😢
Back to top Go down
naughty by nature

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 9:53 pm

thanks for the info I don't know anything about chuckwagon racing never even seen it really. I'm glad that she's doing what she loves which I could have done that when I was younger.
Back to top Go down
hopeful_farm

hopeful_farm

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 10:20 pm

I love watching chuck wagon racing... it is really fun to watch the mini ones too....

looks like she is having a ball! I wish I had been so brave!
Back to top Go down
~TC~

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 7:57 am

Quote :
looks like fun. now don't get me wrong but isn't chuckwagon racing really dangerous and has alot of fatalities? or is that just rumor

I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about this... Weird.

LB, your daughter will probably know this or learn it going forward, but I believe the chuck wagon races are really tight on rules now...don't they have like HUGE money fines for any team that maybe bumps another wagon, or does something that could potentially cause a wreck?

I would think this would take some of the danger out, as no one likes to have their wallet emptied... 👅
They are doing what they can to keep it exciting for the fans, but safer for the drivers and horses.

I would like to be an outrider...that looks like fun! :D (If I had the guts...lol)
She will gain a lot of experience out there.... kind of a cool summer "job" that kids in our area would rarely get...
Back to top Go down
Simi
Mod
Simi

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 8:18 am

Oh Awesome LB thanks for the pictures and looking forward to more very exciting for her...
Can't wait to see you the foal will look like I hope she took congrats!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.maritime-equestrians.com
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 8:38 am

Great Pics........yep you gotta be young and fit to go off and do that job......an experience of a lifetime though..........good for her.......sure hope your heart can take it when you go watch her race!!!!!!!!!! woooooooo hoooooooooo
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Yahoo :) Thanks for posting pictures...

I havn't really watched chuckwagon races any amount and I kind of looked twice when I saw the collar and hames... I don't know why I thought they'd use breastplate - I guess because of all the STB racing around these parts.... makes sense though collar and hames is so much more rugged.

Way to go Bailey on driving the teams :D Driving is so much fun.... LOL especially since she gets to ask them to REALLY step out!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pphfarms.com
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 3:01 pm

One question... how do they match their teams? Do they go by stride? height? the way they move? disposition? similar bloodlines?
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 3:25 pm

D-Cutch wrote:
One question... how do they match their teams? Do they go by stride? height? the way they move? disposition? similar bloodlines?
good question, I do know that they have power horses for wheelers, a lead horse and they do rotate horses till they find what 4 work well together and usually have atleast 2 sets of 4 ready to race plus the outriding horses. He buys off the track horses that were distance runners (over a mile) or ones with bloodlines bred for distance.
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 7:00 am

Are the out horses TBs too? Do they just use snaffle bits or something a little firmer? I imagine it varies from horse to horse but just curious if they start the majority of them them with something plain...

Sorry for all the questions - I don't know much about chuckwagon racing so find this all very interesting :D

What a great experience for Bailey to get to try something totally different that we don't have around these parts :)
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 6:55 am

I'm glad Dominica is asking all the questions...........I'm enjoying this.......I didnt even know questions to ask never mind have any answers....thanks girls for the education.
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 8:03 am

here's 2 new photos of her using an outriding horse to round up some calves that escaped their pasture.
Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 4322_99622875624_511970624_2531025_7747363_n
Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 4322_99622890624_511970624_2531026_7008074_n
they im'd me yesterday and asked if they can get her a barrel horse to go to the local rodeos as they'd like to see her
get a chance to run barrels this summer too. Bailey doesnt know this yet, they want to surprise her. Good thing she's a great pickup rider (can jump up on most any strange horse and still get a good ride out of it) as they want to surprise her at a rodeo and have her pre entered without her knowing. She's getting alot of opportunities that she couldnt get here, but I still miss her badly.

Last edited by lb-ranch on Fri May 01, 2009 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
D-Cutch

D-Cutch

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 8:22 am

I bet that fellow can cover some ground :)

I look forward to seeing pictures of her barrel horse :D :D Such an awesome opportunity for such a great little rider!!

I can only begin to understand what you're going through LB - I've only had Brittany for 2 years (and a side kick for the last 10 months you've had Bailey alot longer!) and I'm so lonely when she isn't around. I'm so accustom to this little voice coming everywhere with me asking me a million questions.
Back to top Go down
charlo

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 10:32 am

Tehee a TB as a cow horse :lol:

I bet she is going to be so excited with their surprise.

Hugs to you LB...I can imagine what you are going through with missing her
Back to top Go down
Wranglin'ruff

Wranglin'ruff

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 10:35 am

What a wonderful oppertunity for her!! LB, do you know if the will be racing at the Grande Prairie Stompede this year?
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 10:50 am

Wranglin'ruff wrote:
What a wonderful oppertunity for her!! LB, do you know if the will be racing at the Grande Prairie Stompede this year?
IF it's on the WPCA circuit they'll be out there (not the CPCA which also races at some of the same venues),
GP Is the kickoff race for the season. She's working for Troy Flad so if you see their rig she's easy to spot with her long dirtyblonde pony tail and she looks so tiny when working with those horses. She'll probably be ponying horses and other things for the first while.
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 10:55 am

Ths is absolutely great to hear.. my goodness she is doing what most of us dream or have dreamed of doing.. please keep us up dated on her adventures.. I find it so interesting.. Go Bailey Go.. !!!!
And if she were my daughter I'd be missing her so much.. but happy at the same time.. :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1   Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Photos of my daughter and chuckwagon horses in training out west, 2new pics bottom pg 1
Page 1 of 1