Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!

Go down 
+5
oldladynewhorse
Tammy
C4B's
imarowdyrebel
Fiere
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Empty
PostSubject: Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!    Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 11:07 pm

So as some of you already know my Solid Paint Mare foaled March 31st at 130 am. She has a solid sorrel baby boy and loved him up until it came time to nurse. We kept him with her for the first day and a half but she was getting bad enough we thought she was going to badly injure or kill him. So we made the decision to take him. Now she will allow him to nurse still at this point as long as someone holds her and we are now supplementing him with milk replacer as well. Her milk is drying up and maybe she knew she was going to produce it I am not sure.

At this point he's doing really well. We've raised LOTS of foals but never ever had to hand raise one. So just looking for some good luck vibes for the little guy so he can grow big and strong and do well..

I am also looking for a milking goat if anyone can help me with that it would be greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!    Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 5:04 am

All the good vibes you could ask for are being sent your way! We had a mare like that, sweetest mare in the world until it came to her own baby. It is too bad that happened to you, Jorgia. Best of luck to you and the foal!
Back to top Go down
imarowdyrebel

imarowdyrebel

PostSubject: Re: Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!    Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 6:17 am

good luck with your baby! My friend had that happen to her last yr and had to hand raise the foal, the foal turned out to be so healthy and well mannered she was lucky that her other mare took her in an taught her the lessons in life and all my friend had to do is feed her every couple hours. So I wish you the best and don't give up it will get easier :)
Back to top Go down
C4B's

C4B's

PostSubject: Re: Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!    Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 9:39 am

Good luck !!! good vibes coming your way !!
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!    Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 1:03 pm

What a sin! You've certainly got your hands full looking after the little fella. I'm sure he'll grow up healthy and strong. I know absolutely nothing about foals, but I wonder if he feels lonely or unloved because his mama doesn't want him. Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  510297
Back to top Go down
oldladynewhorse
Mod
oldladynewhorse

PostSubject: Re: Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!    Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 3:14 pm

I so hope everything works out. He is such a cute little boy. I think about him everyday and check to see how he is doing on FB. Vibes heading your way!!!

:hugs_graphics_

Back to top Go down
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!    Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 7:29 pm

GOOD VIBES! GOOD VIBES! Sending them through the wires!!! Hope everything works out for the best!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!    Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks girls I appreciate it, He's gonna need it.. He's doing well at this point, still nursing off her a bit as long as we hold her and he's now eating two bottles at a time. So he's porking it to him. I'm on the look out for a goat and looksl ike I'm gonna need it at this rate! ha..

I will get some pictures tomorrow of him nursing the bottle and post.. He's some cute, I just hope it all works out, I feel so badly for him with a mama that wants to be such a B***H! Although had she wanted to kill him she would have so I guess that's a positive thing. The Vet is telling us not to give up on her yet and see how she is once she's good and use to him nursing and not sore anymore and that she won't completely dry up her milk so everything he can get from her at this point is a good thing!

I guess at this point it's one day at a time but he's doing really good!
Back to top Go down
tilly

PostSubject: Re: Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!    Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 1:14 pm

Jorgia I raised an orphan foal, I used Grober FoalGro milk replacer and pellets, you should get the milk replacer pellets, they are expensive but worth every penny, this foal never looked like an orphan. I started out feeding him every hour for the first two weeks, then I feed him every two hours until he was 2 months old, then every 3 hours until he was 3 months old, then every 4 until he was 4 months. When I was finally able to get the pellets I put him on them and he loved them, I wished I was able to get them sooner. The vets were amazed at how he grew. I was lucky that we had a pony he could be turned out with, so he turned out to be fine.
We had quite a few medical problem, such as a lung infection, so be careful when bottle feeding, keep the bottle down low and you should try to get him drinking from a bucket as soon as possible or get him on the pellets. I had a lot of trouble with bucket drinking.
The same year a friend had a mare reject like yours, they built a really narrow straight stall, like a chute and took boards out so the foal could nurse and the mare couldn't reach the foal, The mare was in the stall for half the day, this mare absolutely hated the foal, she would of killed him if she could of got to him but this worked great, I don't think the mare liked it, but it saved the foals life, they also fed the milk replacer pellets, that might be a good solution for you.
The feed store in Sackville, N.B. can order the milk pellets for you.
Good luck, but with lots of work and little sleep they turn out great!
Back to top Go down
tilly

PostSubject: Re: Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!    Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 1:37 pm

Jorgia I forgot to mention that Grober Foal Gro website has lots of info on feeding orphan foals. hope this helps.
Good luck and they are so cute, I can't wait to see pictures!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!    Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks.. Yep we've been in touch with two of our vets closely they are telling me every 2 hours is perfect for him, as he's still nursing her every other feeding as long as we hold her and plus a bottle. He does both perfectly thank god, but we're getting the pellets in, which I'll just put in with a bit of feed. The vets are telilng us not to give up on the mare yet as she's not real aggressive just squeels at him now a bit, but he's also getting rough when he nurses and she's not sure how to take to that. I don't think she'd kill him, but if she kicked and hit him I don't want to take the chance. We're thinking about building some sort of stall in her big box stall so he can roam in there and her be tied up but can't hurt him and still nurse. If it kills me I'll do what I have to do to save the little guy, he didn't ask for this so I'm going to work my rear off. He has a pony that he can put his head into the stall we cut a hole for him at his head so that he has socialization and once he's a bit older will be turned out with. He's a week today and playing and bucking and doing awesome, so at this point it's working, I have my fingers and toes crossed that things keep going this well. Thanks for the help..
Back to top Go down
rude

rude

PostSubject: Re: Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!    Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 10:34 am

the same thing happened to a neighbor down the street...this mare wanted to kill the foal..now the horse is 3 and happily living with his mom BUT one of his testies didn't come down till the age of 2 ..I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it as they say animals *know* if something is wrong with their babies ? wondering if others on this thread who's experienced this if it was a stallion also?????
Back to top Go down
tilly

PostSubject: Re: Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!    Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 2:43 pm

Rude, the foal I raised, the mare died a few hours after his birth, my friends mare that rejected the foal was a maiden mare she went over 12 months and the foal was little and weak when born, I have never seen a foal so small unless it was a preemie. The first few days we had to twitch the mare at every feeding and the foal had to be held up. When the foal could get up on his own they built a chute so he could feed on his own. But she hated him with a passion. It was not a good situation. So maybe it is nature to reject the weak or I sometimes wonder if some mares just don't recognize that they had a foal due to hormones. I wondered about this mare since she was pregnant for over 12 months and had a small weak foal that her hormones were not right. But this was colt so I wonder if more colts are rejected.
I would love to see more orphan experiences. So many people don't like to talk about having an orphan because may people will blame them for it. But these things happen and we could learn if more people would share their experiences, and it would make it easier for the next person that this happens to.
Back to top Go down
Twilight

PostSubject: Re: Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!    Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 3:32 pm

We have an orphan foal here. He will be two July 31st. He is a Hannoverian/TB cross, and is 15.1hh at the withers, 15.2 at the hind. He came to board here last July, and was a bit unthrifty. We have played with feed (he has an amazing owner who loves him so much) and he is finally filled out, looking great.

His dam died when he was just wee, and his owner used milk replacer, and spent loads of money and time on him. He is a very in your pocket guy, but very very kind.

Good luck with your foal....it is loads of work, but so worth it!
Back to top Go down
Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!    Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 2:10 pm

How is the little fella doing?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!    Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Could Use some "GOOD LUCK" vibes!
Page 1 of 1