Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lead Training Aggresive horses

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
CountessVictoria

CountessVictoria

Lead Training Aggresive horses Empty
PostSubject: Lead Training Aggresive horses   Lead Training Aggresive horses Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:09 am

So ive been working with some amazing horses, just lovely and kind and a joy to be around. BUT there is one who I may have to try something "different" with. She is sweet and kind, but when it comes to leading outside of the barn she only thinks of her friends in the barn, swings her head and tries to whack me in the face so she can "sneak away" back to the barn. she also tends to try and distract me by pawing in my direction so she can again try to go back to the barn. Please keep in mind that she is green broke and has very limited leading experience (just pasture to barn, barn to pasture) and is usually great for that. I am looking for ways to keep her attention and have her be safe and sane to work around. any ideas? tips that you have? I have high hopes for this little filly for the future, but want to make sure i do this safely and properly. would love to do round pen work , as i feel this would be a big improvement and help, but we do not have access to a round pen. thanks !!
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: Lead Training Aggresive horses   Lead Training Aggresive horses Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:34 am

for ones I'm training or that need some re training i switch to a rope halter, this gives a little more poll and nose pressure and helps get their attention quicker. we always back up a step or two before we ever leave the stall, i mix the orders that horses go out so they all learn to be first and also last. While leaving stall and going down aisle if they get too fast we halt and if need be do a firm immediate back up (all the way back to the stall if need be) I also do not release them outdoors till they stand and back up a step then I undo the lead and then I give halter a slight tug ahead to let them know they're allowed to leave. Any misbehavior is met with instant demand to back up. Sometimes we'll lead in and out several times before being let out or just led in and out and then put back in stall. again when coming in at night, lead in, turn around in stall, lead out and then back in several times before allowing them to be in for the final trip. Keeping a steady routine with daily handling and calm quiet but firm handling gets the best results I find.
Back to top Go down
Hanover

Hanover

PostSubject: Re: Lead Training Aggresive horses   Lead Training Aggresive horses Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Could I ask this: When you make the horse back up, do you use physical pressure (like hand on chest/shoulder) or do you shake the lead line (especially when using rope halter) or your body stance and voice?

Thanks.......hope no one minds my jumping in here............have to keep learning!
Back to top Go down
CountessVictoria

CountessVictoria

PostSubject: Re: Lead Training Aggresive horses   Lead Training Aggresive horses Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks lb-ranch ! The rope halter worked wonders tonight. a completely different way of getting what i wanted :) I tend to use the back-up method as well, but with the regular halter i wasn't getting anything, even with pressure on her chest, steady pressure on the halter, voice and even with the chain. i do not enjoy using the chain as i think it is a last resort method, or used as fine tuning aids when it comes down to showmanship. With the rope halter i was able to get her listening and responding when using body language and voice. Thank you !
Back to top Go down
lb-ranch

PostSubject: Re: Lead Training Aggresive horses   Lead Training Aggresive horses Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 8:02 am

Hanover wrote:
Could I ask this: When you make the horse back up, do you use physical pressure (like hand on chest/shoulder) or do you shake the lead line (especially when using rope halter) or your body stance and voice?

Thanks.......hope no one minds my jumping in here............have to keep learning!

just to clarify I do use rope halters but I am not a Parelli follower, I dont sit there wiggling lead while standing in front of horse to make it back up (may work on horses in clinics but on one bent on dragging you down an alley way to go outside it wont work)

With rope halter I first use the lead line to apply the pressure first, hand close under chin drawing head down towards chest if I'm beside the horse leading, and I also implement voice commands, Halt, back back back with each step/tug on lead to back, eventually horse reacts just to the voice. On real stubborn or horses that might need a little more (like a couple stallions we've retrained for leading) I might carry a crop and use it to give a snap to the chest to add to my demand to back up along with facing the horse and using my body language to demand a back up as well as the other aids. I also release pressure and give rub or pat when they give me even a little of what I've asked for. I use the rope halter till I get where I want to be, then switch back to regular halter and then back to rope if they need a refresher at any time. Note though.... Rope can also cause enough pain to make horses toss head and rear to fight especially if you are in front of a horse in a tug of war stance, rope works best in a downward and directional pressure like down and back or down and turn to side, once you have poll pressure dropping head you have much better chance of going back or to the side than if the head is tossed up high in the air.
Back to top Go down
Hanover

Hanover

PostSubject: Re: Lead Training Aggresive horses   Lead Training Aggresive horses Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 8:42 am

"Rope can also cause enough pain to make horses toss head and rear to fight especially if you are in front of a horse in a tug of war stance, rope works best in a downward and directional pressure like down and back or down and turn to side, once you have poll pressure dropping head you have much better chance of going back or to the side than if the head is tossed up high in the air. "

Thanks for your very easy-to-follow/picture explanations, LB. Gotta get over to meet you one of these days!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lead Training Aggresive horses   Lead Training Aggresive horses Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lead Training Aggresive horses
Page 1 of 1