Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalRegisterLog in

Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog

Go down 
+3
SexyDexy
Simi
teekathepony
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
teekathepony

teekathepony

Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Empty
PostSubject: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 11:20 am

In this blog I plan to keep track of my two projects; training Dale and re-bonding with Teeka.

Background:

Teeka - When Teeka was a weanling she was bought by Kings Stables where I rode. I was 10 when she came. In September 1996, when she was a year and a half, my parents bought her for me. We've been together ever since. For Christmas 1998 my parents bought me Jewel, who was then 8 months old. Teeka and Jewel came to live with me at my house. They were my only two horses.
In June 2008 Jewel died suddenly. Teeka and I were both devastated. Since then we have slowly grown apart and I've only ridden her once since that day.

Dale - When Jewel died a very special best friend of mine kindly offered a horse on loan to keep Teeka company. I had the pick of a large stable full and chose Dale. A lot of people wondered why. He is an untrained gelding. Here's why; his mother, Bucky is one of my favourite horses of all time and he has her eyes. He's a passive gelding who I thought would get along great with Teeka. And I thought he could be a project, something to get my mind off Jewel. He's a sweetheart of a horse and his personality is lovely. Fast forward three years; I've done almost nothing with him.

So my goals are quite simple.

Goals:
Teeka: Re-create the bond I had with her. I want to brush her more often and by the end of the summer I want to have ridden her a minimum of 5 times.
Dale: Start training. Even if it's hard, even if it happens in tiny little baby steps.
Back to top Go down
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 8:04 pm

I am excited to have some progress to post.

Teeka: Today I caught Teeka and haltered her with absolutely no problem. I took her out for a walk around the arena, just to see where we stand. After just a few minutes she was respecting the lead line like the halter pony she was trained to be. She was listening to me just fine. I took her in, gave her a really good brush and left it on a good note.

Dale: Johnny took Dale out for a walk while I walked Teeka. He lead him over a 2x6 on the ground and after only about 30 seconds hesitation Dale stepped right over, no problem. I also gave him a good brushing, and picked up and cleaned his left front foot, and picked up (briefly, because he was nervous) his right. Very good. A baby step, but progress nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
Simi
Mod
Simi

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 10:44 am

ummmmm it is tuesday girl!!!!

teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Hahaha yes it is.
I have progress from yesterday but none from today. Yesterday's news:
Went to clean the barn, Teeka and Dale were wayyy back in the pasture so I thought I'd leave them. They haven't been back there since last fall and it won't be long and the flies will have them cowering indoors. I had just finished spreading fresh sawdust and Teeka came poking her head in the stall. She came in and followed me around the stall as I worked, ears perked up the whole time, poking my pockets for treats. It was nice, just like old times :) So I gave her a quick brushing. Then Dale came in the stall and her ears went back. Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog 382802
Back to top Go down
Simi
Mod
Simi

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 8:27 am

Thats awesome girl!!! She just didnt want to share her time....

Last edited by Simi on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.maritime-equestrians.com
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 10:11 am

Maybe that's part of her problem all along. She used to be fine with me paying attention to Jewel, but maybe Dale is a different story.
Back to top Go down
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 9:05 am

Had a bad weekend, yesterday I didn't go to the barn at all! But I have two days off this week and today is one of them, so I'm not going to waste it! I might even lunge Teeka.
Back to top Go down
Simi
Mod
Simi

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 8:04 am

awesome will be waiting for the updated blog :)

teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 10:13 am

Didn't work out. Yesterday was my dad's birthday and we got him an external DVD drive for his netbook... the mistake was giving it to him at lunch time because he then wanted to learn how to use it and how to burn DVDs all afternoon. So since it's raining today, my plans are changing a little. I'm just going to work indoors! Some bending exercises and good brushings, and I plan to saddle Dale. It's been a while since I've had the saddle on him so I'll take it nice and slow. He only had it on and cinched once, but he was SO calm and a perfect gentleman.
Back to top Go down
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 12:43 pm

...2 hours later

I have progress despite the rain!

First a bit of background:
My horses live outside most of the time. At the moment they have full access to a ~1 acre pasture as well as my 150x200 outdoor arena. Both connect to the barn. The stall is 24x12 if I'm not mistaken, and is one big open stall with two doors to the barn aisle and two to the pasture. The horses come and go as they please, wherever they wish.

I went outside to find both horses hanging their heads in the rain outside. I guess the rain must feel good on their skin. I came in the barn, turned on all the lights and Teeka came running in to see me. I call that progress right off the bat. So I threw a flake of hay in each corner, Dale came in, they each went for a hay pile. I put up the removable barrier and closed the outside doors to make two separate closed in stalls.

Dale kept eating his hay. I'm sure if a bomb went off 10 feet from him he would look, calmly assess the situation, decide his hay was fine and keep eating.

Teeka however, changed. Her body calmed down. She relaxed. I didn't realize she was tense until I saw her relax. She ate her hay and perked up her ears.

*DING DING DING* Bells going off here!

I've seen this behaviour out of her before. She calms down and is happier in the stall like this. I never really put it together before though.

I think Teeka misses the structure of someone telling her when to come in and go out, and the four sturdy walls of a stall. When left with the option to come in or go out she seems to stress over having the authority, having to make the decisions. But when I tell her where to go (In, out, one stall or the other) she seems to happily do what I tell her. Maybe she's not really lead mare material but since Dale is so laid back she needs to step up (because someone does!) but doesn't really like it. I wonder if more of this will make her happier. Afterall she spent the first 13 years of her life living in a stall at night and being lead to a pasture in the morning. I'm going to try locking her in for a few minutes every few days as I work with her to see if she calms down.

Anyway, after I noticed that I got to work. I couldn't give either one of them a really good brushing because they were soaking wet, so I sweat-scraped them both. I decided to start with Dale. I took Teeka's old winter blanket and held it near him. No reaction. I put it on the floor near his hay. No reaction. I hung it on his stall door. No reaction. I slung it over his back. No reaction. So I put it on him as if I were going to clip it and still no reaction. Teeka was watching us, so for kicks I put the blanket on her.

Then I took a saddle blanket and put it on Dale's back. Still no reaction. Added a saddle pad. Nothing. So I took my western saddle out (filthy. Do you know how dirty a saddle gets when it's been ridden in once in three years?) I laid it on the stall floor near him. He barely even looked at it. I slowly put it on his back, cinched it up (not tight) and let down the stirrups. Still absolutely no reaction. I went to brush Teeka and left the saddle on Dale for a few minutes. He finished his hay and walked slowly in a circle around his stall twice and still didn't care about the saddle or the bumping stirrups. He just went back to scrounging for bits of hay. I even stuck a headstall on him and he didn't care.

I was going to push it a step further and put some weight on the saddle but as this is only his second time with the western saddle on, I thought I'd leave it on a good note. Best not to push it, even if he took it all so well.

If I thought my old Jewel was easy to train, I think this guy could be even easier.
Back to top Go down
Simi
Mod
Simi

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 2:10 pm

good start girl!!! very proud...

SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 2:30 pm

Quote :
I think Teeka misses the structure of someone telling her when to come in and go out, and the four sturdy walls of a stall.

I really think this is George's issue too. His personality has changed so much since he left the track and he is much more "on guard". He was never the friendliest horse to start with, not mean, but not a "pocket pony". He was also considered bomb proof then, I wouldn't describe him as that now. I think that things changed so much for him and he went from a very strict routine (feed, work, etc) to basically no routine at all and that upset him. Kinda like a person retiring after 50 years of working and not knowing what to do with themselves. I truely think he dilikes not having a job and he is a bit depressed. Of course he likes having pasture and playmates but I think he would be much happier doing some kind of work and having that routine of coming in a stall every night. That's a big reason why I'm looking for a new home for him. I'm sure if he went to a home that could offer him that routine he would come around.

I enjoy reading your progress Wendy. You're inspiring me to get my butt in gear with Prince. Now I have to wait until the mud dries up though lol!
Back to top Go down
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 3:47 pm

That's exactly what it's like with Teeka. She was never worked hard, but we had a routine -- 9am feed, haltered, and put out in the pasture. 7pm caught, put back inside, fed and bedtime. If I rode it was somewhere in between there. I still feed on the same schedule, but she decides when to come and go and she's not so sure about it all.

Yay for inspiration! You should make a blog too! No jokes - it's the only thing that made me go to the barn and do SOMETHING today. All I could think of was "Oh man, I would be really embarrassed if I had to post that I did nothing again."
Back to top Go down
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 8:41 pm

Success!!

Today I lunged Teeka a bit. She was perfectly behaved though quite stiff. Although it's been a while since she has done anything but walk in a straight line so that's to be expected.
I also lunged Dale. Very difficult. He really doesn't know how to lunge and he's too strong to teach. Hubby is planning a round pen for me. It's a vicious circle -- Dale's too energetic to lunge but I can't lunge him to get the energy out.
We managed two full circles at a jog and called it quits. After a half hour of gently correcting him when he stopped closest to the barn, I was just glad we did get a full circle at all.
Back to top Go down
Simi
Mod
Simi

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 8:21 am

hello my little blogger where are you?????????????????

teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 10:18 am

Totally fell off the wagon. I haven't done anything to speak of in a while now. The rain is getting me down big time, which is an excuse and I know it. I'm praying for some better weather to get me in the mood.
Back to top Go down
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 12:52 pm

Had a good day today. I've had a few small good things between now and my last post, but nothing too much.

Today I took the horses in, fed them some apples, haltered Teeka and took her out on the lunge line. I went down in the pasture where there's a steep hill and we worked there at a slow jog for a while. Then we moved into the arena and did some loping. Teeka's pretty stiff so I tried to go easy on her and work the kinks out. Then I took her back in, gave her the brushing of a lifetime, ran some cool water over her legs to get the caked in mud off, then with some help from my mom we took the two of them out for some grass in my back yard (since there's very little around their pasture). I brushed Dale as he ate. So it was a good day. Hubby is soon starting construction on my round pen! Hope to get working with Dale soon!
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 3:21 pm

hey Wendy, did you get your round pen up yet???/ hows it going????? do you have a trailer......you could bring your guys up and let them have some pasture up here for a weekend sometime......got lots of room and lots of grass.....think about it. :cowboyhound.gi

teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 1:14 pm

No roundpen :( There's too much else to do around here it seems. Hopefully I can get him working on it very soon.
Also no trailer. Unfortunately! Because that sounds like heaven. I could stay at dad's trailer and they could meet Haimish and Shaemus!
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 8:31 pm

so, you havent updated your blog....whats been going on??????/ I REALLY WANT TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!!! :cowboyhound.gi

teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Oh gosh Joan, absolutely nothing. No motivation at all. My work situation might be changing soon though, the store is moving to downtown Sydney so we'll only be open 9-5, so I'll have my evenings off meaning I'll be home with Johnny. Maybe some motivation then? Gah. I wish I could make myself do something here. I need a good swift kick in the buttercup.
Back to top Go down
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:14 am

Alright, here goes nothing.

I'm feeling fat and lazy lately. I need to lose a little weight.

My work situation has changed. I work at a camera store. We were in the mall, but last week we moved to a downtown location. 9-5 m-f and 9-1 sat. So now there's basically no hours for me. I'm looking at unemployment to hold me over until I go back to school. What it means immediately is that I'm home all day, every day.

So I'm going to put the three things together -- wanting to get back in touch with the horses, being home, and losing weight.

I'm temporarily (and only slightly) re-purposing this blog.

Even if I just go brush the two horses every day -- that's a lot of arm exercise! I want to make Dale better on the lead line. I want to brush up on Teeka's admirable showmanship skills (and my dismal ones). So wish me luck, I'm hopping back in.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:27 am

GOOD FOR YOU TEEKA............Anything is better than Nothing...............whatever works girl........getterdun!!!!!! :cowboyhound.gi

withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:33 am

that sucks about work, but good news for your ponies!

as a PT and a KIN, i hate to admit that my best workout/diet plan consisted of barn chores in the middle of winter. throwing hay bales around and barn projects tend to take more effort than the average work out!!

keep us all posted! the blogging seems to be getting higher traffic lately :)
Back to top Go down
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks guys, I'm so happy to see the bloggers section finally getting some love! HAhaha,
I can't promise to get to Congress with Dale, but here's to baby steps (again)!(and in spite of the rain!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog   Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wendy's Training and Bonding Blog
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next