Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Weight Loss in Nervous Horse

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mountaincowgirl

mountaincowgirl

Weight Loss in Nervous Horse Empty
PostSubject: Weight Loss in Nervous Horse   Weight Loss in Nervous Horse Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Hey guys,

I bought a team of Belgians last year and so far everything is going well. Both mares are full sisters and could not be more different. The youngest one, Jenny (12 this year), is super laid back, really easy to keep on hay and a little bit of feed. However, her sister Molly (13 this year), is the complete opposite. She is flighty in the barn, snorty, nervous and I have noticed that she drops weight really easy. She is not poor by any stretch of the imagination, however she is starting to look really "gaunt" for lack of a better word.

They have both been wormed recently and the fecal samples have been clear. Teeth floated etc. I did switch hay because I had to buy some to last until we hay again. It's a little coarser and was cut later so I supplemented with an increase (small) in feed - nutri pak pellet and some mixed feed with a little molasses added (not increased) and a mineral supplement. She can't have bran, rice or wheat, as it goes right through her. I was considering trying some beet pulp but I'm worried that will have the same effect.

She is only worked about three times a week, not even lately, cause I will melt. I have noticed that she craves more water, and when on pasture drinks quite often. Should I be worried about ulcers? The vet is stumped without running further tests.

Any ideas from you guys first???
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

Weight Loss in Nervous Horse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss in Nervous Horse   Weight Loss in Nervous Horse Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Ulcers would be a conern for sure as well as EPSM.

http://www.ruralheritage.com/vet_clinic/epsm.htm
Back to top Go down

Weight Loss in Nervous Horse
Page 1 of 1