Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

does anyone have a flail mower?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rude

rude

does anyone have a flail mower? Empty
PostSubject: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi everyone..don't know if you remember me having a severe clover problem..I've recently purchased a Brush Cutter and not satisfied with the cut...so now purchasing a flail mower and hoping this will help..do any of you have a flail mower???

Last edited by rude on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 2:32 pm

never heard of such a thing......what does it look like.......got a pix
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
rude

rude

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 2:33 pm

just joan wrote:
never heard of such a thing......what does it look like.......got a pix

it's tractor equipment to say mow the fields ;)
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 2:48 pm

It's a mower that's usually used in blueberry fields where you need to mow really close. It will mow "centimeters" above the ground. It's got a bunch of blades that look like "L's" that spin (or flail) around when it's running. Hard to explain... lol!

Not too many people have them, I'd try a blueberry grower if you have any in the area.

What are you trying to accomplish by mowing the clover though? Like dandilions, clover will adjust it's growth height to compensate for mowing height. It will still flower and grow, only horizontal instead of vertical.

Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 3:21 pm

Dexy.. maybe she just wants to flail around.. geesh.. lol
Back to top Go down
rude

rude

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 4:47 pm

well I have until Sunday to cancel my flail mower and I think I'm gonna..I've just visited a dairy farmer who has a license to spray herbicides and he tells me the same thing ..a flail mower won't do much for clover sooooooooo I've thought about it and instead of investing another $3000 for the flail I'm gonna take many rolls of hay and unroll them in the pasture..will hide the clover and reseed right ..reason I thought of doing this is because where there are leftover hay (horses are polite and never finish the hay) and timothy is growing where those leftovers are so I'm gonna take full rolls and spread a good thickness everywhere and reseed that way :)))) wish me luck
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 5:26 pm

Rude.....talk to Sexy some more.....agriculture, fields etc is her specialty, she knows what she is talking about...but it might be a good idea to cancel the machine if its not going to do what you think
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 6:34 pm

Here's my opinion :)

Why exactly do you want the clover gone? Is it Alsike clover? Do you have a horse that has special feed requirements? I have had Alsike clover in my pastures and never had an issue with it. Maybe my horses just weren't affected by it though.

The farmer you're talking about (who has the pesticide applicators license), is he going to spray off the field before you spread out the hay? Honestly, I have never heard of anyone doing that, but I know what you're saying about the grass self seeding on old hay piles. Remember though, what ever seeds are in the hay are going grow. That could include clover and/or various weeds. Or, if your hay was cut young, there may be no seeds in it because the grass hasn't set seed yet.

If it were me, I would have the field sprayed off, worked and reseeded with a mix of your choice. It may be a bit more of an investment but then it's done right. Sounds like you are willing to spend some money on it anyways. Get a price from the farmer to reseed if he's interested in doing it then you can make a decision. If you do decide to reseed, mid-late Sept is a good time.

Good luck :)
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 10:18 pm

Keep talking Sexy Dexy...

I have the blasted clover problem. Beauty always gets sunburn/rain rot on her nose and heels. I thought that clover was making her photosensitive but this year, with the use of zinc cream her nose has been much better and she didn't really get it on her heels. So, maybe clover isn't the problem, but I still don't think its good.

Anyways, about 5 years ago we reseeded 5 acres of hay land the runs along the horse turnout with the intention of cutting hay and then maybe using it for pasture. Well, its clover city! We used triple mix under the advice of a farmer friend and it was a big mistake. I want to start over but I want something with little clover, good ground coverage for grazing while decent for hay as well. Is this possible? Triple mix seems good for hay, but not good for grazing. Would I have to spray to kill the clover?
Back to top Go down
rude

rude

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 7:49 am

Well I've cancelled the flail and my man again took the brush cutter and cut as short as he could...it was a pasture that was a swamp 2 years ago ..we had to dig up the swamp and covered with dirt and shail rock so figured nothing will ever grow out of that ..it's rock...well clover just took over..the agricultural guy said nothing good will ever grow as I'd have to put 6" of top soil which again would cost me a fortune..yes there is some aslike but not lots it's basically white clover I have...results are my horse has sensitive feet..not lame but low coffin bone so not lots of concavity ..bruising which results in abcesses..and I could go on and on....
sexydexy the farmer doesn't want to come and spray..he says it will agian just pop out again the following year...so I'll just keep moving my round bales around the corral..nothing left for me to do :(
Barefoot girl..I hear ya...it's a vicious cycle...I've purchased from our local co-op a horse pasture mix that has NO clover in it...tried it in one field tilled it and everything..not bad but clover again taking over...I think it has a lot to do with the acidity in the dirt..but maybe sexydexy could explain more :)
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 7:53 am

we should make a whole new forum.........ASK THE EXPERTS.........we have enough of them to help with just about any subject.......Rude, I'm glad you didnt waste your money on the flailer.......and Sexy, sure hope you can help these girls.
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 11:52 am

White clover is a hardy plant and even though it prefers a loam soil with a pH betwen 6 and 7, it will grow in poorer soils. White clover, along with other legumes is often used as a green manure in newly cleared fields because it will grow in adverse conditions and when ploughed back into the soil, it will add organic matter. In time, the addition of this organic matter will build up the soil structure. Hard when you are starting with shale rock though. I'm not sure you could ever add enough organic matter by using green manure crops. Perhaps in your case it would be beneficial to roll out hay, in an attempt to add OM.

As far as the white clover causing photosensitivity, it's not actually the clover, but a mycotoxin that can grow on the foliage under damp conditions. Now in a summer like this one, you may have issues with it. It's usually more of an issue in the fall when things are wetter.

I have loads of white clover in my pasture, the horses love it and I've never had a problem... When you say that your horse's hoove bruise easily, are you thinking that has something to do with the clover, or more so the rocky ground? If your horse was intolerant of sugars I could see your point, as all clovers are quite rich. Just trying to get what you're saying right in my head.

Barefoot_Horsegirl - Unfortunately, yes, you are likely going to spray it off and start over if you want the clover gone. Red clover will die out of a mixed stand in a few years and you'll only be left with a few scattered plants. white clover however is very hardy and spreads very quickly. Each plant sends out stolons (above ground stems) that root at each node (and there are a lot of nodes) to produce a new "mother plant". It can spread exponentially in just one season. In addition, it adapts to set flowers/seeds below the mowing height and will also produce a lot of seed each year. Even if we get a hard winter that kills off some of the established plants, there is more than enough seed in the soil to grow new plants. It can be frustrating...
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 12:34 pm

White clover isn't my issue really, its the red. I guess this year it seems to be coming in a bit less thick, so maybe its starting to die off. Can I spread some kind of seed for better ground coverage for grazing where the the triple mix was planted?
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 12:48 pm

Well... that's the role of white clover in the triple mix... a lower growing ground cover lol!

If you want a grass however, you could seed either orchardgrass or perennial ryegrass. Both are common in this area. Orchard grass will grow in most types of soil, including sandy and clay, but perennial ryegrass prefers a loam soil. The ryegrass can also be grazed closer than the orchardgrass with less effect on it's long-term viability.
Back to top Go down
rude

rude

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 5:45 pm

sexydexty ..question for ya...I'm looking for an invasive plant and was thinking of throwing some reed canary grass but there seems to be 3 or 4 varieties..any suggestions :)) ?
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 6:45 pm

With reed canary grass you want to choose a low alkaloid variety. Alkaloids are the bitter compounds that affect the palatability of the grass. Not sure what varieties you can find at you local store but my top choice would be 'Marathon', followed by either 'Venture' or 'Palaton'. All three are low alkaloid varieties, Marathon performs slightly better in terms of yield.
Back to top Go down
rude

rude

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 7:09 pm

from my coop country store book I can get Venture, Palaton, or common Reed Canarygrass I don't see Marathon..but will inquire on it...a farmer had suggested this ...the downside of it is to experiment with this I have to buy an big bag..I can't just buy a small bag to experiment with :(
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 8:32 pm

I had the same problem one time I wanted to buy some. It's so expensive that they won't open a bag to sell just a little bit. The Venture or Palaton will be fine. I suspect the common reed canary grass is the higher alkaloid stuff.

Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 8:39 pm

WE SHOULD START A WHOLE NEW SPOT

ASK THE EXPERTS...........we have lots of really clever experienced folks from all sorts of different and varied walks of life, .....
Back to top Go down
rude

rude

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 9:05 am

just joan wrote:
WE SHOULD START A WHOLE NEW SPOT

ASK THE EXPERTS...........we have lots of really clever experienced folks from all sorts of different and varied walks of life, .....

I agree Joan..we sure are lucky to have them :cowboyhound.gi
Back to top Go down
rude

rude

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 9:13 am

SexyDexy wrote:
I had the same problem one time I wanted to buy some. It's so expensive that they won't open a bag to sell just a little bit. The Venture or Palaton will be fine. I suspect the common reed canary grass is the higher alkaloid stuff.

thanks again :)) now if I wanted to throw some seed in certain places ..I have till when in August to do this or is it already too late ???
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 10:32 am

No, not too late at all. In a regular season I would wait till September anyways because you would have more moisture for germination. The fall is the best time to seed grass. Since it's so friggen wet now, you could seed some anytime.
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 4:08 pm

More questions for you SD :)

My hay field is being cut today for the second time. If I wanted to add orchard grass to the mix (our soil is sandy) can I just have a seeder seed on top of the existing hay field now that it is cut? Is it too late for that?
Back to top Go down
SexyDexy

SexyDexy

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 7:40 pm

Normally grass seed is sown with what is called a Brillion seeder. It's not as aggressive as a grain or corn seeder so it may not be able to penetrate the sod and get the seed actually in contact with the soil. Is a farmer seeding it for you? You could try just broadcasting the seed and hope that some makes it to the soil and takes hold. If we have good moisture for the next few weeks, that's all it may take.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: does anyone have a flail mower?   does anyone have a flail mower? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

does anyone have a flail mower?
Page 1 of 1