Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Getting Back in the Saddle Again

Go down 
+4
withaTwist
Hanover
just joan
Fiere
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
withaTwist

withaTwist

Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:43 pm

:( well that sucks. Ah well, I'm sure something will come of this...
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 11:25 pm

I hope so, I really wanted to try this horse and see what would happen. Really bummed I never get that chance. He was freaking gorgeous and had the best temperament. Oh well, gave me enough food for thought to last a while!
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 6:14 am

well, fall is certainly one of the best seasons to pick up a good horse for cheap/free... keep an eye out :)
Back to top Go down
teekathepony

teekathepony

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 9:16 am

Fiere wrote:
He's sold. Fate I guess.

Sure makes your decision a lot easier. Definitely wasn't meant to be.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 9:22 am

sorry it didnt work out kiddo
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 6:10 pm

OH! But it DID!

Amigo has a leaser. Best case scenario I could think of. He stays here so Rae can still brush and sit on him, but his costs are covered, gets ridden consistently and worked with by someone very knowledgeable, and a little girl got the surprise of her life and now will have an absolute blast with him, meanwhile he is getting the attention and time he deserves.

Really, I think fate did play out in the end. Maybe not the way I thought... but in hindsight, it did. For me, and Amigo, and the people who are now leasing him.

Now I can focus more time into myself and T and not worry so much about doing right by both my boys, as one is getting what he deserves, and it freed up the funds for me to be able to board another horse. I feel great right now.

I like fate today, usually her and I don't see eye to eye.
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 6:17 pm

That's great news! Sounds like an ideal situation :)
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 7:07 pm

SO all is right in your world tonight........how cool is that :cowboyhound.gi
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 4:34 pm

T's behaviour sounds pain related to me. Are you sure his saddle fits? Horses generally don't act out that way unless something is wrong. My mare was a pretty dangerous ride before we found the saddle that worked for her. How old is he?

With that being said, I think you should sell him or turn him into a pasture puff. Horses are expensive and are meant to be an enjoyable past time. Your scared and not enjoying it anymore, and you have a good reason with the serious injury you received. Furthermore, this horse is dangerous. You have a young daughter and a family that needs you. Its not worth it. You don't need to prove anyone right or feel like a failure. Sell the horse, euthanize the horse or free lease him as a companion and then post an ad on kijiji/AR for a free lease for a well trained horse. They are out there, and like someone else said, with winter coming people need to minimize. There are way too many good horses for next to nothing for you to continue torturing yourself with a dangerous horse you are afraid of.

If you can't do that do you think you can send him away to a trainer for a full month or two of training now that someone has leased Amigo? Once the trainer gets him going solidly you can start taking lessons on him to build your confidence? With your lack of confidence, fear and no help I think this is an accident waiting to happen if you continue to ride him now.

Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 9:34 pm

Though it does seem it, this is not pain related, this is brain related, and now that he knows how to get out of work, he continues to act up. Someone with confidence gets on him and they love him once they get over a couple little battles. Sadly I have no one really to ride him. Anyways, I've had him completely checked whiskers to tail hairs for any issue. He does have some issues with his buttock muscles, and a hock issue, but he was cleared for medium work and he gets full body massages 3 times a week and heat therapy before any exercise. Exercise helps him, he stiffens up when not riding and after a long hiatus you can notice that he is not moving normally and he gets a bit of a hitch in his hind left. After good warm ups and therapy, he is completely normal aside from deviation in his hock (which he will always have). He just turned 7 on July first.

Our rides in the round pen are not bad, I feel safe there because he can't go anywhere, though I am still nervous, and the more I ride him the more brave I get. I wish I had an indoor, though, something about riding in a building makes me feel like superman. My coach is coming to my barn to give lessons to a few of us and I will be trying to use him after a few weeks. He will never be sold, and he will be retired until further notice once I find another horse as a pasture puff. I know what you are saying though, for me to keep a horse I don't enjoy riding who I put nonstop money into maintaining is foolish, I fully agree. But it is what it is, if you ever saw him on the ground you'd be shocked because he is a total love bug and would never intentionally hurt me, and you would see why I keep him. I don't want to continue riding him to prove anything, or to not feel guilty (even though I do feel guilty and upset with myself bc I want to so badly, but stupid mentality of mine). I want to ride him because I adore this horse and I want to enjoy him like I used to. He is (aside from his bucking/bolting stints) an *awesome* trail horse, nothing fazes him in the least, and you can go anywhere on him. I enjoy him in other ways now, we were never so bonded on the ground, for instance, and I trust him as completely as I can trust a horse on the ground. I think we've both been soured of riding in our own way, and thus it is a lot harder for us to work together because of our history. I don't know how much of that will ever go away, but I still want to try, and if not... I will teach him tricks or something so we can work in other ways and maintain our bond. I really can't imagine not having him, when I almost lost him last year due to illness.... I was a mess. I was ready to sell everything and never look at another horse again. Dan thought he was going to have to get me committed.

I've looked into the trainer, no one I trust will take him. Though he would *greatly* benefit from it. I hope lessons on him would work, though we've spent so much time in the round pen I don't know if he can ride straight anymore haha! My coach will tell me what's what and I have another horse to ride if lessons on T prove to much for me to handle right away.

Thank you very much for your opinion, Barefoot. You are almost completely correct in everything you say, and I deeply appreciate your honesty.

In keeping up with the topic of the blog though, I rode my friends horse today. In an English saddle. Ooh la la! I feel pretty safe on this horse, he is built like the broad side of a barn and laaazzzzzyyyyy so no problem getting him stopped. When he wants to 'act up' he walks backwards. I hate English saddles because my seat nowadays is awful, so I really depend on my tack. English leathers are none too steady! My legs are killing me right now. But it was fun!

How are the mosquitoes where every one else is? I've not seen them this bad in a long time. Near carried me and the 1500lb horse away today. Rae got bit 3 days ago and had to be taken to the hospital because her face swelled so badly, they almost admitted her, it was very scary. Long ordeal, though with all her meds she is getting back to normal quickly! Wired for sound too, holy moly.
Back to top Go down
Hanover

Hanover

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 10:49 am

Aaah Barefoot and Fiere......love reading your posts and replies. I "know" you both and am so happy that your honesty does not degenerate into personal battles.

Barefoot, you know me personally and know my limitations as to horse knowledge but I think I can make this observation for you, Fiere. It is more about what you are teaching your little girl.

I think teaching her the lessons of showing compassion and putting others first in our lives are invaluable. She is learning these by your words but even more so, by your actions.

Also, just from my limited experience of being a first time horse owner (almost two years now)...spending the time (like you have) with your horse and getting to know every little bump on him and observing the various looks in his eyes and just plain being with him (sometimes I just sit on an old chair outside in his paddock and watch and watch and watch) has more value than we may realize.

In the saddle, I had hoped to be making more progress but I decided to go back to square one and get those "basic" basics down. He now stands for mounting and only moves off when asked, stops when I block him with my hands.....little steps but gratifying.

There girls, that is my contribution :-) Can't believe I am doing this "out loud".
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 11:16 am

Oh I take nothing personally, Barefoot is correct in what she says and it would be the smart thing. But, stubborn or stupid... I will keep him forever and ever and ever LOL. He better live another 40 or so years so that when he goes I'll be about ready to be planted next to him and we can push up daisies together. lol!

Thank you for your kind words, Hanover. I've never really thought about it that way, I'm not sure if I am setting quite such an important example, but if she takes anything from me I hope that it is compassion.

So, there is a big tran line that runs through my paddock. When there is a thundershower forecast or high winds i put the boys in, as I worry about wires coming down. Last night, around 10:30-11, I went out to put them in. Not a raindrop to be felt, the breeze was strong and nice, and the humidity broke a bit... I really didn't want to put them in. But I figured better safe than sorry and I truly didn't want to get up at 3 or 4 to go catch them in the rain and thunder (it was bound to happen if I decided to leave them out). OF COURSE nothing changed and we got some showers, which they would've loved. This morning the two of them were soaked with sweat as the humidity in the barn is insane. I fed them and turned them out so they could enjoy the cool air and strong breeze. T was stocked up and cranky this morning from the heat so I hosed him off, it will feel good to let him 'blow dry' with this gorgeous wind. Amigo wasn't too bad, and he sleeps in the pond anyways.

Also, today is hoof day!!! So later on this evening when it cools down in the barn I'll do their toes, give T a massage and throw the heating pad on him, and then go for a ride. The wind would have died down by then too, so a nice fly-repelling cool breeze will be perfect. The footing doesn't look too bad in the round pen or the high end of the arena, so maybe I'll venture out. Hopefully I can post pics!
Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 187130
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 11:18 am

I am absolutely thrilled and PROUD that you girls are all opening up and enjoying and sharing with each other...........no fears or worries on this board........its all about friendships and learning and helping........and if its NOT...........Believe me.......I WILL FIX IT..........

woo hoo girls........ :cowboyhound.gi
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 10:41 pm

Went to ride T today, the flies were too bad yesterday. Took him in from the paddock and he was limping. Right at his flank, a horse grabbed him and pulled so hard his skin *split*. Two big scrape marks on top and bottom, then a huge swelling, with a split in the middle (it looks horrible, little tears and chunks... my poor baby). I have never seen the likes, whoever it was got him HARD. I wish he would just kick sometimes. Plus a 1/2 inch wide by 1/4 inch deep perfect hole taken out of his hind leg right below his hock, no idea what that is from. Bugger. So spent the day applying compresses to take the swelling down, disinfecting, and salving him to death. He got a fine grooming though, with his ears, bridle path and feathers clipped, and fancy shmancy braids put in his mane and tail. Then he had a big bowl of bute, and after a liberal dose of fly spray around the wounds, he got to go wander the pasture, high as a kite. So, who knows when I will be riding him now. Every time he extends that back leg it pulls on the wound. Poor boy, a few years ago he got chased through the fence and a board broke and skewered him on that side right behind the elbow, which gave him a nice 7 inch long scar, now he will have a matching one on the flank. Adds to his collection, you see. I trace clipped him in the spring of last year and he looks like someone put him in a bag of pole cats and shook it, my poor boy.

I feel bad, he was so sore he didn't even want a massage. I thought it would make him feel better but as soon as he relaxed he'd jump up in pain again. He got full body heat therapy instead, which he enjoyed more than usual. I guess he was just happy to have some relief. Poor little accident prone frigger. Just like his Momma, though I would've knocked the head off of something had it have done that too me, T is too laid back to fight off attackers. He just wants to be left alone.

I think when he scabs up good we will start showmanship work. He really enjoys that sort of thing and it'll give us something to do together that doesn't involve him pulling on him flank or me hitting the ground. Then when he is healed up enough to not impede his movement we will get riding again.
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 11:01 pm

Poor Bugger, he sure ends up with a lot of hurt that boy of yours. sure hope he heals up good. Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 757770
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 11:03 pm

I think he just likes being pampered. Or he heard I was in the market for another horse, and he figures if he half kills himself I'll be neck high in vet bills and unable to get one. I can see him now, calling to the other horses, "Someone come bite my buttercup! And kick me in the leg while your at it! Stupid woman thinks she wants another horse!"
Back to top Go down
Hanover

Hanover

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 9:24 am

A healthy sense of humour goes a long way!

Sorry to hear of his injuries though........poor baby.

Could you tell a bit more about the heat therapy? What do you use?
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 10:27 am

A plug in heating pad!

Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 223606_10150261313847956_510627955_7505219_6795582_n

I do five to ten minutes a spot (depending on stiffness) on medium heat. I lay it on his butt and I'll wrap it around his hock and then bandage it loosely. T is not so keen on the hock as when he moves he can feel that he is 'plugged in' and it sort of freaks him out. He doesn't spook, but he, understandably, doesn't like his legs tied. I was told to do this by a equine masseuse, though really nice warm muscles imvho benefit everyone.

(Note: Be ready with a shovel, heating up over their rump makes them poop, a lot!)
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 10:39 am

the heating pad on my a s s does the same thing to me...........hahahah
Back to top Go down
Hanover

Hanover

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 11:08 am

Hey! He actually is looking good there. Haven't seen any pictures for awhile. Looks like he is a good weight and shiney, eh?

Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 11:47 am

Thank, Hanover! He is getting there. He is still down a lot from last summer, he had LOADS more muscle last year and was just about 1100 pounds. Now he is nice and fat with a good layer of lean muscle and is 990. He had a massive chest last year and due to lack of work he hasn't built it up (pic below). But considering he was shadowing around 700 when he was sick I am VERY happy with him. He still looks good, but I wouldn't mind a chest and more topline on him.

Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 262402_10150259629032956_510627955_7488056_706755_n
Back to top Go down
Hanover

Hanover

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 12:52 pm

Oh man.....look at that eye.........I KNOW T and I would be friends :-)
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 3:39 pm

You should come meet him sometime!
Back to top Go down
Hanover

Hanover

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 1:11 pm

Since it has been a bit since you last posted and considering T's injuries, just wondering how things are going? Is he healing okay?
Back to top Go down
Fiere

Fiere

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Oh he is healing great! Far better than I thought. Still a large risk of infection due to the extent of the bite but so far just lots of heat, the wound is very clean and well scabbed over now. I worked him yesterday a little bit just with some ground work and he was so pull of piss and vinegar he decided he wanted to jump and buck and toss his head in good natured play at a very stretched out floaty canter, which resulted in him tearing the scab and sooking. So it is obvious that he really can't be worked until it's more healed.

The only reason I haven't posted is that there really hasn't been much happening. Amigo is being ridden by someone else almost daily, T is not being worked with much as he is either hurt or I am too busy lol. Back to college this week, so the last week has been a flutter of activity with errands and preparations. As well as the barn sleep overs we've been having lol. Just a whole lot of spending time with the horse and no saddle time at all. Boo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting Back in the Saddle Again   Getting Back in the Saddle Again - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting Back in the Saddle Again
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next