Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Custom Hats By Sue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Hats By Sue

Custom Made Cowboy Hats

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bee sting...

Go down 
+3
just joan
Wissy
Ellie*Mae
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

Bee sting... Empty
PostSubject: Bee sting...   Bee sting... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 8:04 pm

Arrow managed to get stung a couple of inches behind the girth...wonder how long it took him to figure out I CAN'T RIDE IF HE GETS STUNG THERE????
What a turkey...bet he rolled over on one when he was napping today lol! Hopefully it will be okay tomorrow, I put a baking soda paste on it.
Back to top Go down
Wissy
Mod
Wissy

Bee sting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bee sting...   Bee sting... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 8:41 pm

ouch.. poor buddy.. well maybe not.. he's got a few days off.. lol
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Location : THE BULLSHIT STOPS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEIN PHADRUIG CAPE BRETON

Bee sting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bee sting...   Bee sting... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 9:01 pm

Excuse me madam.......where the heck is the accompanying picture........no more excuses...........LOL.......poor Arrow, he just cant help himself.
Back to top Go down
http://1155thebucketlist.blogspot.com/
MoonShadow

MoonShadow

Bee sting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bee sting...   Bee sting... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 12:12 pm

So how is the bee sting now??? I think Arrow, has your number.... lol!
Back to top Go down
withaTwist

withaTwist

Bee sting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bee sting...   Bee sting... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 12:45 pm

not sure about horses, but i use wet aspirin for bee stings/bug bites, brings down swelling, and takes away pain
(i've fed aspirin orally to horses, can it be applied topically?)
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Bee sting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bee sting...   Bee sting... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 12:51 pm

found this for you EM

"Bee" Prepared on Your Trail Rides
by Bob Jeffreys & Suzanne Sheppard
TwoasOneHorsemanship.com
Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2011
As we enter Autumn, we need to remember that this is the season when bees or wasps are most aggressive and defensive of their nests. We were reminded of this recently when only one horse/rider combination of four returned to the ranch. We did find the others and thankfully no horses or riders were seriously injured, but they were stung repeatedly and were pretty shaken up. One particular horse took the brunt of the attack and was stung all over his body.

Unfortunately, bees and wasps are a part of life that we can't do much about so we have to respect their presence, do what we can to minimize attacks, and know what to do if we are attacked. Firstly, try to stay on well-traveled paths; don't chance veering off into undisturbed areas. In particular avoid dead trees or logs and keep your eyes open for nests in trees.

However careful you are, if you ride often enough, you will disturb a nest. Yellow jackets most commonly nest in the ground. If you accidentally step on the nest, you'll be dealing with an angry group of flying, stinging insects.

If you are with a group it helps to have a plan. Determine beforehand what you will do if your group encounters bees or wasps. What we've learned works best is to have a code word such as "BEES" to be shouted loudly. Upon hearing this word, everyone should be prepared to move away quickly and keep going for at least a quarter of a mile. Most bees/wasps won't travel further than that, but some may. If the attack hits the lead horse, the rest of the group should leave to the rear and that lead horse should continue forward. You can all meet up again at a predetermined rendezvous point. Try to stay on the horse and get it to move away from the site of the attack. If you are bucked off, get away as fast as you can on foot you can look for your horse later.

If a horse gets stung severely, the best thing you can do is hose them off with cold water as soon as possible; check with your vet, but if you can't reach him or her, give the horse a shot of Banamine (about 5cc's) to calm them down and administer an antihistamine or a steroid such as Azium. They should be fine and all welts should be gone in a day or so.

If you know that you or any member of your group is allergic to bee/wasp stings, carry the appropriate medicine as prescribed by your doctor on all trail rides. To increase your safety you may wish to carry a cell phone, but lots of trail areas are not near cell towers; that's why it's important to have a predetermined meeting place arranged with your group.

Encountering such and incident is not pleasant, but if you keep your wits about you, and leave the area quickly, you should be all right and you'll have some "new" material to share with your buddies. Safe riding!

Back to top Go down
Ellie*Mae

Ellie*Mae

Bee sting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bee sting...   Bee sting... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 6:17 pm

hmmm - well guys, still no pics - sorry Joan...kind of a hard spot to get a pic, just under his rather, ahem, fluffy belly, on his left side, just behind where the girth would be. Still swollen, I can feel where the sting was, as I was bent over looking, and feeling, he was puffing in my hair...have I said today, how much I LOVE THAT PONY?
It may have been a nasty Horsefly bite, too, anyway, tonight I put M-T-G on it, he always reeks of the stuff, I figure a little more can't hurt....right?
The baking sode paste fell off...pretty much useless. I could put his newfound standing-to-be-hosed-off skills to use, but I think he will be ok!
Hopefully by the time the rain quits in January, and switches to snow, the swelling will have gone down :-)
Back to top Go down
just joan
Mod
just joan

Bee sting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bee sting...   Bee sting... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 6:58 pm

hahah....yes, maybe if we are lucky........... Bee sting... 336163
Back to top Go down
Barefoot_Horsegirl

Barefoot_Horsegirl

Bee sting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bee sting...   Bee sting... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 3:14 pm

TTO is good too. Bee stings suck!

Back to top Go down
realalvin1

Bee sting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bee sting...   Bee sting... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 1:00 am

I think fly mask also works for the bee sting.I use Horseware fly mask and Harrison Howard fly mask.They really work.My little boy also like them.As for the price,Harrison Howard fly mask is cheaper.As you guys know,the Horseware fly mask is of high price all the time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bee sting... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bee sting...   Bee sting... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bee sting...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Custom Hats By Sue :: Keeping and Caring for Horses :: Horse Health - equine health care-
Jump to: